Thread: what do you think of birch snare drums?

User Info Menu

Question what do you think of birch snare drums?

hey, i'm thinking of getting a nice snare drum and was wondering if i should get a birch one, more specifically, a Yamaha Birch Custom Absolute Nouveau Snare Drum.
    if anyone has a birch snare or this particular snare, please give me you opinion, thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: what do you think of birch snare drums?

I have the mapex M birch kit, and i really do like the sound of a birch snare, it sounds good dry and if you want it to make a good snap it sounds great both ways

User Info Menu

the only birch snare i have alot of time on is an older 14x5 recording custom birch snare. it always sounded great - FAT and sensitive.

User Info Menu

I have a few birch snares. They are great but I love snares

The best thing to do it go try a few. Play as many snares as you can. You will know when you find one you cant live without ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have the Yammy 6.5 inch birch recording custom, tis a thing of beauty, wear ear protection before mounting on any stand!!! you have been warned.
    and stop that whistleing!!

User Info Menu

Its a question of the sound you are looking for I would try a few or birch and maple or any other woods and see which one sounds the best to you

User Info Menu

I have a 'Yamaha' birch custom Absolute 5½ x 14 snare that i bought around 2000-2001. It took a while to 'break in' but now i'm really happy with it. Tuned low, it is very fat sounding and when i crank it up, it is very dry yet penetrating.
    I recommend !

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    wear ear protection before mounting on any stand!!! you have been warned.
    and stop that whistleing!!

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i play a maple absolute snare 14x4.5 i think it is and love it play it 99 % of the time. I have a birch mapex kit really like the toms but am yet to get the snare where i like it. I would like to try out a high end birch thin snare i bet the absolute sounds as good as a birch snare drum can ! But i've allways heard the recording customs were the bomb sooo ?? Have you priced them ?? I had to Pay for my absolute !
    Last edited by 2slow; 09-03-2008 at 07:17 PM.

User Info Menu

the regular stage custom birch snare sounds pretty good to me, well the new one does anyway. i never tried the old one but im definitely a fan of birch, i mostly use kits with birch toms, maple bass drums, and steel snares, but i mix it up and try it different sometimes too. cant go wrong with birch