Thread: Fast chops

User Info Menu

Default Fast chops

Ok next year im trying out for snare in my hs marching band but i have slow chops and i really need the speed.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Fast chops

you practrice your rudiments with a metronome, start out slow, and move the tempo up 5 bpm once you master the speed, and keep doing that till you get your chops

User Info Menu

Zeta is absolutely right it can be really boring and tedious but you just have to focus on what your doing and get it good and it will be totally worth it in the end.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    you practrice your rudiments with a metronome, start out slow, and move the tempo up 5 bpm once you master the speed, and keep doing that till you get your chops
    I agree with Zeta, also try drum rolls. Thats what I used to do myself , I would see how long I could do them .

Start on the edge of the head slowly moving to the center. All the while trying to get the tips as close together as possible with out striking each other . I think this is one of the best ways to loosen the wrists.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Start on the edge of the head slowly moving to the center. All the while trying to get the tips as close together as possible with out striking each other . I think this is one of the best ways to loosen the wrists.
    Oh i havent done this one before, i think i will go try now.

I also do the three minute drill, set a timer for 3 minutes and do one of your rudiments, or rolls for that three minutes to build the strength in your forearem
    -Steven

User Info Menu

One method that my teacher used was to draw a circle, about the size of a small jar on the practice pad. As we became more proficient, he would narrow the circle until we could play any exercise within the space of a dime. I kid you not!! Instead of drawing a dime size circle, he afixed it to a practice pad and you could hear every strike of the sticks and we had to play without hitting the sticks against each other.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    One method that my teacher used was to draw a circle, about the size of a small jar on the practice pad. As we became more proficient, he would narrow the circle until we could play any exercise within the space of a dime. I kid you not!! Instead of drawing a dime size circle, he afixed it to a practice pad and you could hear every strike of the sticks and we had to play without hitting the sticks against each other.
    now that`s cool.....i feel unworthy to even post here....
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=fiacovaz;108535]One method that my teacher used was to draw a circle, about the size of a small jar on the practice pad. As we became more proficient, he would narrow the circle until we could play any exercise within the space of a dime. I kid you not!! Instead of drawing a dime size circle, he afixed it to a practice pad and you could hear every strike of the sticks and we had to play without hitting the sticks against each other.[/QUOTE

Wow that is a top drill.... I can imagine the economy in movement and technique that helps develop.

User Info Menu

Thanks! What he was doing was teaching us Stick control and proper form. To this day, I can still play any of my exercises within a small area in the center of the snare drum and not bang my sticks against each other. Transfering this to the drum set, I've extended the Life of the drum heads as I play each conistently and without undue force and can easily play around the kit without banging the rims, stands etc. I don't have what I would consider great "Speed" but, I can play a 4 hour big band gig and not feel fatigued at the end. it's all in how you control the sticks.

User Info Menu

HOLA COMO ESTAS *Mi AMIGO FIACOVAZ (FRANK) CREATIVE ARTISTIC
    DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) EXCELLENT**AND as within this VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART Form THE ARTIST within His Own Unique And very DISCIPLINE
    STYLE(ARTISTRY ) will within Time develop (Very Controled TECHNIQUES) with Haveing A VERY OPEN CREATIVE ARTISTIC MIND***can Journey deeper
    within THIS VERY AMAZING ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM ** GRACIAS
    ITS A LIFE TIME AND BEYOND too MASTER**Gracias

User Info Menu

Grazie, SWD, tu molto gentile.

User Info Menu

This is a very excellent way of learning stick control , very similar to the way I did it . I believe it to be one of the best ways of obtaing good control .

User Info Menu

I recommend the book The Rudimental Reference Book by John Wooten. Work it from beginning to end. Work on your technique, listening ability (very important with a snare line),roll interpretation (perfect 32nd notes) and with anything in a battery, your feet. If you cant move your feet in time you will not be on the field.

User Info Menu

Feet are very important as well as lefthandlead said but as far as chops go I would study the book and get lots of repetition of perfect rudiments and you'll be set

User Info Menu

try playing single stroke roll exercises on a pillow.
    in the pocket

User Info Menu

Even better, practice double strokes, or triples

User Info Menu

Long time CH33!!! You are all making me feel guilty about not playing on my pad! Yeah, it is something I really need to work on. I have the rats, paradiddles, working, but the 5,7,9,10,11,13 stroke rolls are not good! My double strokes need Major improvement! Thanks for kicking me in the butt!!!!

User Info Menu

Ditto, my teacher Mr.Ragsdell I owe you buddy, would do the exact same thing with a penny. My teacher was with the military Fico, Im just wondering if your guy was in a military band also?
    man could he rip a snare up.

User Info Menu

LOL!! As a matter of fact...he was! Fort Dix, NJ. He got to play a lot in NY City!!

User Info Menu

Maybe its a common thing among military guy's to test the accuracy of each player in the line?
    wierd thing is my teacher was with the royal air force band!! hardly a close cousin to your guy!!

User Info Menu

Mine told me that he marched with the Army Parade band during the day and played jazz in NY City at night.