Thread: Style

User Info Menu

Question Style

My bands got the biggest gig we've ever had next saturday in front of about 1500 people. We play mostly our own songs but we do a couple of covers. Its an outdoor concert and were playing mid afternoon. Im not sure what sort of dress code we should go for because in the past weve played in darkness so it hasnt really mattered. I saw a band the other week and there drummer wore like a light blue designed t shirt and a waist coat which looked pretty cool so do you think it would look pretty cool on stage, and if so what should the rest of the band wear? (we only have a bassist and guitarist/singer)

User Info Menu

Default Re: Style

kingy-
    Congrats on the job! Sounds like it will be alot of fun and exposure. Personally, You should be yourself and do and dress however makes you comfortable. By all means let everybody know how it goes for ya... Good luck!
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

In my opinion, its always good if the band can coordinate in some way, especially for large gigs. This doesn't mean you have to wear costumes or outfits that are exactly the same but it means color coordinate at the least. This shows unity on stage and is part of the overall professional presentation. While it's not as much of the norm these days, a lot of bands still do it and I think it leaves a good impression. In my last band, the band leader would let us wear jeans but he would buy us all matching shirts that looked kind of hip.

User Info Menu

I think that the answer should lie in the style of music you play. You wouldn't wear a three peice suite to play a grunge show, and you should avoid torn jeans if you play a more mature, classic feeling music. I've always been told that when you go to a job interview, you need to dress the part, and I think the same is true for a show. Dress to fit the music, and as drummer said, coordinate a bit to show unity. Congrads by the way!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

Thanks guys
    We play sort of a classic rock sound but we have a couple of pretty heavy choruses, breakdowns etc.
    We had a bit of a talk last night and were gonna wear jeans, some funky shoes (not that it really matters to the drummer) and a light top with some sort of design on it, with something over the top like a waistcoat or short sleeved jacket or something.
    I'll let you all know how it goes, hopefully might get a couple of pictures and a couple of videos. ill give you the links if we do
    cheers again

User Info Menu

awesome, you should definately post some vids!
    Thats the way, uh huh, uh huh, I like it.

User Info Menu

go naked, and act like everythings normal. but we dont want a video of that!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by begtimm561 View Post
    go naked, and act like everythings normal. but we dont want a video of that!
    what do you mean act like everythings normal? everything is normal when your naked, cloths are the unnormal thing.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

On the subject of nakedness, Chad Smith says that he pictures the audience naked at his gigs as a way to prevent him from getting stage fright, like many other accomplished entertainers recommend.
    He also says that if anyone does actually get naked, it's a bonus.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

Shazane Guest

Dress based on what your band is trying to express. This is why black metal bands wear corpse paint and medieval armor, folk metal bands sometimes wear viking gear. On the other hand, sometimes just wearing whatever you normally would accomplishes that purpose, this is often the case these days.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Shazane View Post
    Dress based on what your band is trying to express. This is why black metal bands wear corpse paint and medieval armor, folk metal bands sometimes wear viking gear. On the other hand, sometimes just wearing whatever you normally would accomplishes that purpose, this is often the case these days.
    the lead singer of amon amarth has that viking look, but he never wears a shirt! lmao!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Kingy93, welcome to Drum Chat! As you can see, the folks here are very supportive, and love to offer advice when they can. Good luck on the show, and we'll look forward to the pic/vids!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Gig was yesterday, it was awesome!
    We nailed every song and weve had a bit of interest from some other venues too. We managed to raise over £100 for cancer research in just 30 minutes too!
    We had our own roadcrew and stuff to set up. ive got some pictures below (might have a couple of vid links soon too):
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

Welcome to DrumChat Kingy! Glad the gig went well, and done for a good cause! Shows like the one you did will do a lot for the band. Any other gig opportunities from it??

User Info Menu

Congrats on the successful gig Kingy!! Cool to have roadies too!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Congrats on a successful gig keep it up
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Welcome to DrumChat Kingy! Glad the gig went well, and done for a good cause! Shows like the one you did will do a lot for the band. Any other gig opportunities from it??
    Yeah there were a couple of scouts from some local venues who asked for our number and stuff so hopefully we'll be rocking it up weekly

User Info Menu

That is GREAT!