Thread: Hitting my cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Hitting my cymbals

Hi, I'm new to the drum set, but not new to drumming. I have a question about how to correctly hit my crash cymbals. I know there may not be 1 correct way, but I'm really worried about ruining my cymbals by putting too many nicks or dents in them, and maybe even cracking them. I've done some research online and some experiments myself. I found that I prefer to hit the edge of the crash, which unfortunately, seems like the most likely place to get nicked and banged up. I've also seen many people cracking there cymbals, and I don't have the money to replace my cymbals like crazy. Any information on how to correctly hit the edge of the crash, and keeping my cymbal lasting for a long time would be great. My 3 crashes, are a 14" thin, 16" thin, and 18" thin. Thanks in advance.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hitting my cymbals

A lot of it depends on how hard you are hitting them. If every time you hit them, you see wood flying and the stand nearly falls over, you may soon crack your cymbals. Also, the type of cymbals may play a role. There are other drummers that will give you good advice. Welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Esand15!

You are wise to ask this question. The answer to protecting your cymbals is to strike across the cymbal instead of straight on. You'll still get good sound out of the cymbal, but you keep from putting so much energy into a single point.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Here is some info I coppied from the West Coast Drums website

The cymbal's edge is the thinnest and most delicate part so how you strike it and at which angle is very important. It is generally best to angle the cymbal at a downward position so you will be able to hit it with a glancing blow. You can also strike the cymbal using a pull back stroke technique (see fig. 14 a & b), which avoids undue shock and stress to the cymbal. Hitting the cymbal dead on in a mounted position (see photo 3), will cause unnecessary stress and breakage. This stress does not allow the cymbal to vibrate correctly, and often a player will tend to overplay the cymbal because of incorrect angles and heights.

Sometimes drummers prefer mounting their cymbals all flat, usually for visual effect. If you choose to do this, we suggest you mount your cymbals low enough to strike them with glancing blows. This will make them last a long time while achieving the look you want.

Remember to choose the right cymbal for the situation. An example of a poor choice would be a small, light cymbal for Heavy Metal music. Overplaying a cymbal will not give you more sound, it will only cause the cymbal to break before its time. Overplaying also makes you work harder than necessary. Spend time getting familiar with your cymbals and their dynamic ranges. The more you know about them, the better you will play them.

DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

rmandelblaum did a good job
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

if your not hitting very hard and wanting more of the chime from it, then is is "ok" to hit directly on, but for the full power hits, come in from the side and the cymbal should spin just a little bit to the side you are swinging

WELCOME TO DRUMCHAT
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    Here is some info I coppied from the West Coast Drums website

The cymbal's edge is the thinnest and most delicate part so how you strike it and at which angle is very important. It is generally best to angle the cymbal at a downward position so you will be able to hit it with a glancing blow. You can also strike the cymbal using a pull back stroke technique (see fig. 14 a & b), which avoids undue shock and stress to the cymbal. Hitting the cymbal dead on in a mounted position (see photo 3), will cause unnecessary stress and breakage. This stress does not allow the cymbal to vibrate correctly, and often a player will tend to overplay the cymbal because of incorrect angles and heights.

Sometimes drummers prefer mounting their cymbals all flat, usually for visual effect. If you choose to do this, we suggest you mount your cymbals low enough to strike them with glancing blows. This will make them last a long time while achieving the look you want.

Remember to choose the right cymbal for the situation. An example of a poor choice would be a small, light cymbal for Heavy Metal music. Overplaying a cymbal will not give you more sound, it will only cause the cymbal to break before its time. Overplaying also makes you work harder than necessary. Spend time getting familiar with your cymbals and their dynamic ranges. The more you know about them, the better you will play them.

Thanks! You taught me something valuable! I do angle the cymbals a bit, and I never put a day's worth of energy into them, but, that technique is very beneficial!

User Info Menu

Esand , welcome to the forum . All good info given to you so far , also keep in mind that you dont need to beat the snot out of them to make them ring or get a good crash from them . Good luck .

User Info Menu

Great diagram there rmandelbaum