Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need some tips for keeping the beat.

User Info Menu

Default I need some tips for keeping the beat.

My "band" has had a total of two jam sessions, and we're just starting to learn a little bit. If you have any recommendations for easy songs to start learning, any suggestions would be appreciated. Anyway, that's not the purpose of this message.

We began to play "Folsom Prison Blues" by Johnny Cash, simply because my guitarist already knows it. He's used to playing without a drummer, though, so he hasn't been considering the fact that he needs to stay on the beat. I noticed that, very slowly and steadily, he began to speed up during the song. About halfway into the song, we were going noticeably faster than we had started out. I'm sure this isn't a new problem. What advice can you give me concerning staying on beat and not being swayed when my bandmates accidentally start playing faster/slower?

User Info Menu

Default Re: I need some tips for keeping the beat.

I guess I will have to say.....

METRONOME.

It works wonders with all musicians.

User Info Menu

smack the snare real loud, and dont budge, if u stay on, they have to.

User Info Menu

METRONOME yes its that important...

keep your constant (generally highhat) on beat the rest of you follows it, and if you cant play on beat then your not paying enoguh focus on your constant...
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Where could I purchase a metronome?

User Info Menu

Most any music store. Internet music stores like Musician's Friend and Guitar Center.

User Info Menu

Jski, your band members must understand that you are the time keeper. You should set the tempo, and keep the beat steady. They have to come to rely on you. If you are having any time keeping issues, the metronome can help you. But if the band members are having trouble accepting your beat leadership, then the metronome can settle the issue.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Jski, your band members must understand that you are the time keeper. You should set the tempo, and keep the beat steady. They have to come to rely on you. If you are having any time keeping issues, the metronome can help you. But if the band members are having trouble accepting your beat leadership, then the metronome can settle the issue.
    he is absolutely right YOU have to drive the bus!

User Info Menu

Drum Bum has some metronomes too.

Also, check this out. A lot of drummers swear by this little device (called the "Tempo Ref") to help keep the band tempos in check.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-102.html

Last edited by drummer; 08-29-2008 at 09:37 PM.

User Info Menu

Here's what I do during rehearsals with my band. If I notice that the tempo I set is speeding up, I begin to play the bass drum louder. That infuriates the other players but they get the message...LOUD and CLEAR!! I do keep a metronome in my stick bag but I have no concern about being able to keep a steady tempo.

User Info Menu

An old trick is to also have your sound guy put your hi-hat in all of the band member's monitors.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Drum Bum has some metronomes too.

Also, check this out. A lot of drummers swear by this little device (called the "Tempo Ref") to help keep the band tempos in check.

http://store.drumbum.com/skuA-102.html

What a GREAT idea!

User Info Menu

Make sure he's listening to you!
    Your job is to stay at the same speed. If he speeds up then blames you, shoot the bird at him and go again. So long as you're holding it steady and in time, you're not doing anything wrong.
    Oh, and...
    METRONOME. it helps.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Everyone is right also i would have the guilty person take the metronome home and practice playing in time !

User Info Menu

Guitarists are famed for swaying around the beat, the guitarist in my band does it all the time, lol. So long as you're locked in with the bassist its fine. The important thing to remember is that he is the one following you not the other way round so keep the beat steady and tell him to follow it.

I know a guy who is an awesome drummer and for some reason has now decided to be a guitarist and singer and he tells his drummer to follow him! Lol, I wouldn't put with that personally hahaha
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Jski and LHL, it's good to see a few more Tennesseans in here!

And LHL, since I hadn't run across you before, welcome to Drum Chat!

Quote Originally Posted by Yom View Post
    I know a guy who is an awesome drummer and for some reason has now decided to be a guitarist and singer and he tells his drummer to follow him! Lol, I wouldn't put with that personally hahaha
    Yom, it sounds like that drummer wanted to get out front and strut his stuff. You give up leading the beat when you do that though! I was jamming with my brother again last night, but I was on guitar (he plays bass), so we were just having fun and staying together. At one point, though, I just had to stop playing the guitar and go to air drumming! I think all music is fun, but drumming is where the beat lives.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

dont forget that you and the guys have only played twice. Unless you all are really good there will be some timing issues. Give it some time, it will get tighter. OR you get new members! Also try just jamming with you and your bass player. If you 2 are tight your guitarist should fall in line
    in the pocket

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    Jski and LHL, it's good to see a few more Tennesseans in here!

And LHL, since I hadn't run across you before, welcome to Drum Chat!
    Thanks
    in the pocket

User Info Menu

I've found that practicing to a click track is absolutely paramount in getting steady timekeeping. Additionally, remember the old "less is more" adage... it's not about how many notes you play, its all about how much in-the-pocket what you're playing actually is. Quality first, then quantity later.

Every now and then I'll put a metronome on, and just play quarter notes with my kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4, hi-hats doing eighth notes. It's simple and rudimentary, but once you get a good pocket going with that feel, start to add tiny little variations to it, but if you feel yourself straying from the click drop it back to the simple original version.

I did that the last time my band and I had a rehearsal, we wound up writing a song out of it.

User Info Menu

Good tips JB, and welcome to Drum Chat!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by johnbamber View Post
    ...it's not about how many notes you play, its all about how much in-the-pocket...
    Really? I was always told it was how many notes you play. I play as many notes as I can... as fast as I can.

User Info Menu

A metronome is good to practice to and develop a good meter. There is also a device you can buy I think it is called "Rythym Watch" which is a visual metronome. It just mounts somewhere on your kit and is a small flashing red LED, you set the tempo just like a regular metronome. Also keep in mind the most likely time you might speed up or slow down playing a gig is just before or just after a fill. Your playing along you know your moment is coming you get that excited feeling the fill comes and boom your into it too fast or you come out of it and your too slow! Even Neil Peart struggles with this one. Always try to stay calm just before the fills and use your high hat to count the beat in your fills where possible. Practice counting just before the fills as you go into them and you will develop a good habit of entering and ending your fills in time.

User Info Menu

This is all great advice. Thanks guys!

User Info Menu

I bought a Tama rhythm watch metronome. It's great! You can hear the "weeeep" on the one count. You can set it to do all kinds of stuff...program the tempo of a song list for instance. I paid 85-90 dollars for it.

User Info Menu

Oh, the other really, really important thing most drummers forget when it comes to time keeping; keep track of where 1 is! Then you can go over the bar, come back on time, all that funky stuff.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...