Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do Roto-Toms mix well with the kit?

User Info Menu

Default Do Roto-Toms mix well with the kit?

Anyone into Roto-toms?? I saw a set at my local music store which sounded pretty interesting but i cant decide whether they'd go well with a drum kit......

User Info Menu

Default Re: Do Roto-Toms mix well with the kit?

RJ, they went well with a drum kit from the late '70's into the '80's, but styles come and go. I have a set of used 6", 8" & 10" Roto Toms on my kit, although like anything else that adds onto the kit, sometimes I play them more than others. I paid $50 for mine, and I thought it was worth it. I don't think I would pay the price for a new set just to find out if I like them.

I will say, though, that it takes time to experiment and see how they can fit into an over sound. When I first got mine, I used them to begin a long roll through all my toms, and it was fun. Now, I'm seeing more possibilities for playing the Roto Toms within the structure of a song.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Imho, I dont think they do, I cant really say I have seen too many players use them to the best of their ability, plus they just dont project enough.
    keep em buried in the 70's I say. along with the cowbells.

User Info Menu

The drummer in my college band had a pair of them. Didn't use them much, but they were excellent accents. Are they worth it in terms of carting them to gigs, etcetera? Maybe, maybe not. But they seemed to be a lot of fun.

User Info Menu

alex van halen didnt have a problem making them project

i kinda agree, leave em back in tha day. i had em in the late 80s. used em for all the rush parts i didnt have enough toms for.

User Info Menu

I would say if the were miced then they would fly. But trying to cut through a band un-amplified they will be lost. Alone in your drum room I am sure they would be a blast.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    RJ, they went well with a drum kit from the late '70's into the '80's, but styles come and go. I have a set of used 6", 8" & 10" Roto Toms on my kit, although like anything else that adds onto the kit, sometimes I play them more than others. I paid $50 for mine, and I thought it was worth it. I don't think I would pay the price for a new set just to find out if I like them.

I will say, though, that it takes time to experiment and see how they can fit into an over sound. When I first got mine, I used them to begin a long roll through all my toms, and it was fun. Now, I'm seeing more possibilities for playing the Roto Toms within the structure of a song.
    The RT at the shop are around $50... I just love the musicality of just the rack itself, so many possibilities... but like you said its probably great for accenting rolls...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    alex van halen didnt have a problem making them project

i kinda agree, leave em back in tha day. i had em in the late 80s. used em for all the rush parts i didnt have enough toms for.
    I think they'd still fly if used tastefully no?

User Info Menu

I think every young drummer has that phase. I had a set years ago. I still think it's a cool invention. They're lots of fun to play with!
    Yea, they are a bit old school but if you mic them and use them appropriately (tastefully and creatively, in the right songs) they can still fit into today's music. To each his own. You can do whatever you want.

User Info Menu

I happen to think they do. I use them for fills and what not, but sometimes I like to create the sound of many hand drums being played at the same time as the rack/floor toms. It's really a matter of creativity. If you can integrate them into your set, go for it, the sky's the limit.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reboundjunkie View Post
    The RT at the shop are around $50... I just love the musicality of just the rack itself, so many possibilities... but like you said its probably great for accenting rolls...
    RJ, I think they are fun enough that for $50 you could take a chance on them. If you end up not wanting them anymore, down the road, you really haven't lost much in the deal.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Do Roto-Toms mix well with the kit?

For $50, give it a try...I'm with PB on this one...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Mikes Underneath(Solves Projection Problem) With Digital Delay They Have Their Own Unique Voice....I Have
    My 6 "& 8" Tuned Like Cowbells!!!!I Only Hear Folks Here Consider 6"8"10" But I Worked Next Door To A Great Drummer In Nawlins French Quarter Who(instead Of Mounted Toms) Used
    12"14"16"18" /his Sound Was Unique....Check Out Older Mike Mangini Videos Where His Multiple Roto Setup(Smaller To Larger Linear Style To Both Sides) Has Lead To Da Setup He Employs These Days....Mickey Hart(Grateful Dead) Usess Them As A Staple To His Percussion Sounds In "Planet Earth"....They Are Not For Everybody But You May Find Yer Own Unique Voice In Experimenting,,,,besides Its Only $50 And Think Of All Da Phun You'll Have!!!!imagine Da Possibilities,,,"Beauty Is In The Ears Of The Beholder,Enjoy It All!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks for the feedback guys, much appreciated.... Sadly they were sold to someone else coz i took too long ... Oh well, it wasnt meant to be... Il keep my ears to the ground though... Thanks again

User Info Menu

I have my toms tunes UBER low, so i think it would be nice to have some higher pitches on the kit.

maybe when i make my metal monster kit (currently a project in my own mind ) i could have some roto-toms.

dayum, i love drums.
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

I have some original Remo Roto Toms I bought in the late 70's - 8, 10 & 12 and I recently added a 6" and bought a new stand and rail. I think they go great with my 6 pc Gretsch kit, but I'm not playing in a band - I just play for fun. They sound pretty nice to me and they add 4 more toms to the mix. You can't have too many drums to hit.

My 2 cents

Cheers,

Kona
    Gary

User Info Menu

I'm such a lucky guy....I have the 8",10" and 12" sized ones (fitted with Remo White Ambasadors for that clangy sound) PLUS 14", 16" and 18" with Remo "Tympany" (their spelling) heads. Did any of you guys know that the Roto-tom was invented as a practice alternative for timp players? They're a bugger to tune to actual notes...ages ago I was using them to add as "timp overdubs" on a friend's project, and because the particular tune required a D Minor triad, whilst 1 Roto was easy to tune to the A, the other two kept having overtones that weren't in the key...disaster!! Eventually took 5 hrs to fine tune the lil annoying tones out so there were no clashes.....lucky it was a home recording project with no clock ticking away!

User Info Menu

Still using it for Gigs!!!

User Info Menu

^Very cool looking Roto kit!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by wonder1 View Post

Still using it for Gigs!!!
    Very interesting,do you have a pic from the other side?What sizes are they?Very cool looking for sure.
    I have the 6,8,10 roto's and really dig them,I think they fit into the kit great.
    Last edited by Skimp241; 10-29-2010 at 02:25 PM.
    Proudly playing
    TAMA Superstar Accel-Driver 5 piece
    Ddrum Dominion Maple 13x7 snare
    Remo Roto Tom's 6,8,10

Paiste 3000 14 Rude hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections medium 13 hat's
    Paiste 2000 sound reflections 14 thin crash
    Paiste Alpha 16 medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 18 Medium crash
    Paiste Alpha 20 power ride
    Wuhan 12/18 china's

User Info Menu

Roto toms if played tastefully within the structure of a song can still fit in today's music. I don't use my every time I play, only when the music or song requires that distinctive sound that only a roto tom can create. Like many when I first bought them in the early 80's I used them at the beginning of my kit to start my rolls off with. ( A cheaper alternative to buying shells the same size) However now, I place them in creative parts around my kit for accents and to add color to my overall sound.

User Info Menu

I have rotos, but I don't use them all the time. I kinda use them like timbales. Really nice for those reggae intros and stuff.

all the best...

User Info Menu

to kay-gee on his comment

Must point out that Roto-Toms were used quite often to imitate not only timbales, but (the smaller sizes tuned quite high in particular) also bongos and congas by some rock bands...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

I had two back in the 1970s / 80s, a 10 & a 12".
    When I quit in 1985, I kept just a Gretsch snare and the 10" roto and I have them to this day.

No I am playing again and given I am in a Pink Floyd tribute band, it goes without saying that I needed a set,
    so I now have 6", 8", 10" replicas and 10", 14", 16", 18 original Remo Roto-Toms, although I don't use all of
    them in the show. I'm still after a decent quality original 12" (wish I'd never let mine go! )

I still really like them and would be happy to have a couple in my recording kit, which I may yet do.

PROUD TO BE ENDORSED BY DUALLIST PEDALS
    Drums: Phil Collins Pearl DLX | Pink Floyd DW Exotic Bird's Eye | Natal Bubinga Custom Fusion | Cymbals: DIRIL & UFIPeDrums: 2Box DrumIt 5
    BACK BEATING DRUMMING BLOG ||| PINK FLOYD DW KIT ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT
    www.graham-collins.com/drummer ||| www.pinkfloyddrums.com ||| PHIL COLLINS PEARL KIT

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    I think every young drummer has that phase. I had a set years ago. I still think it's a cool invention. They're lots of fun to play with!
    Yea, they are a bit old school but if you mic them and use them appropriately (tastefully and creatively, in the right songs) they can still fit into today's music. To each his own. You can do whatever you want.
    I agree. I still have mine and will use them occasionally. They are not for every song utilization.
    Signature here