Thread: Hi-Hat "Chik"

User Info Menu

Default Hi-Hat "Chik"

Hiya.

I'm considering a Yamaha DTXplorer. looking through the manual, it mentions doing Hi-hat splashes with the foot, but not the classic "Chik" sound with the foot, (as used on 2 and 4 in swing stuff etc.)

Anyone know if it's possible to get this sound?

cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hi-Hat "Chik"

When I played this kit the default was set on a chick rather than the splash. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of fooling with the module and changing the setting. There's no way Yamaha's best selling e-kit doesn't offer the one thing that most jazz players use.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    When I played this kit the default was set on a chick rather than the splash. I'm pretty sure it's just a matter of fooling with the module and changing the setting. There's no way Yamaha's best selling e-kit doesn't offer the one thing that most jazz players use.
    That's what I thought. Thanks.

BTW, I do play Jazz, but also during Pop/Rock stuff, during choruses, I often play eighth notes on the Hi-Hat with my foot, and play offbeats or latiny things on the bell of the cymbal to give a lift.

Cheers

Andy

User Info Menu

I don't know for sure about the Xplorer. My TD6 can do both chik and splash sounds by tapping. (I was totally shocked to discover that it could tell the difference, but I guess it makes sense.)

There'd be two possibilities. One is that it has only one sound available, and you could program it to be whichever sound you wanted. The other is that it does distinguish between splashes and chiks, and in that case, you're set.

User Info Menu

my dtxpress never came with a chick!! Im going back to the store to pick her up right now........do they give you a selection of blonde or red head?

my express knows if its a chick or a splash too,I know the hihat on the express is a lot different to the explorer though.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Hi-Hat "Chik"

Buy A Wig?
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

A foot "chick" and a foot "splash" is just a different foot technique. Yamaha and Roland control pedals both offer this feature.