Thread: Snare buzz and tuning...

User Info Menu

Default Snare buzz and tuning...

This is just how I tune my snare from advice I received from a professional drum tech for Nico Mcbrain of Iron maiden and have used it in many playing situations to eliminate snare buzz and have never looked back. Your preference may be different so it may not apply to you. Back in the 80's my band and I won a contest at the local radio station and got to spend the whole day back stage while they were setting up for an Ozzy/IronMaiden concert including the sound check, vip seats for the concert and spent time after the concert with the bands. I spent a lot of time with Nico's drum tech and here is how they get rid of the buzz including from the tom's, sympathetic buzz etc. and get that killer Snare drum sound. Tighten the snare side tight...then tighten it some more. Take a piece of tissue (2ply) and cut it into a piece about 1.5" wide and long enough so that it is about 1/2 an inch as wide as your snares. Disengage the throw and slide the tissue under the snares and position it about 3/8 of an inch from one side of the metal piece that the snare wires are attached to. Take a piece of clear cellophane tape (the kind you would use to wrap a present) about 3/8 x1/2 inch and tape each side of the tissue to the snare head where it extends from under the snares... put more of the piece of tape on the tissue than the drum head. Turn the drum over and mount it on your stand. Engage the throw and tune the batter head to your preference. Mine is tight but not quite as tight as the snare side but tight since I do a lot of snare work in my solos and playing. Adjust your snares to your preference. This method has worked for me for years and I still use it today on my X7 snare and it sounds as good as my Ludwig snares from the past sounded. There are many good methods for dealing with this issue but dont put anything in your snare drum or use duct tape or some of the other bad advice out there. You want your drums to be as open as possible. Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Snare buzz and tuning...

Thanks for the tip TK!! I really appreciate it that people here offer their knowledge for the benefit of all. Classy thing to do as a new member!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Is this intended to leave that really fat, loud 80's snare sound?
    Thanks for the advice brother.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I would describe the sound as fat. I find it gives a more defined sound between ghost notes, regular playing and rimshots. If you get any ring using this method a small square of moongel about 1/2 x 1/2 does the trick... You may want to try moving it around the batter adjacent to the lugs about 1/2" away from the rim until you find the right placement. Again keeping your snare as open as possible is the key. You know I forgot to mention in the post that Nico' s tech would not budge an inch on telling me how he got such a distinctive sound out of his toms but I guess everyone has their niche that is their trademark.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Snare buzz and tuning...

Great Advice.Thank You...You'll Fit Well In Our Phamily Of Advisors And Players ....Dats What Dis Place Is All About
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Great tip man. You should submit that to DrumTips.com:

http://www.drumtips.com/submittips.php

User Info Menu

Ok- GREAT tip- I read this yesterday ......went home........did this and it works PERFECTLY.
    ' Up the Irons '

User Info Menu

sounds interesting, i might give it a shot :-D

User Info Menu

great advice ima try it as soon as i can
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Re: Snare buzz and tuning...

I used this for my emperor X to get rid of the buzz, except i tissue next to the wire and it took away just enough of the buzz THANKS!
    -Steven