Thread: Cymbal repair

User Info Menu

Default Cymbal repair

A few years back, I acquired a Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride cymbla an ebay for $50. I thought I was getting a real deal but, I should have known something wasn't quite right. I was the only bidder with a few minutes left for the auction. It was just after I confirmed my bid that I read, in the small print, that the cymbal had a crack in it. Damn! I received the cymbal and saw about a 4" crack in the lathing mid - way up the cymbal. I figured that some heavy - handed dude misused the cymbal as a crash rather than a ride. To stop the crack from spreading any further. I drilled a small hole at either end and left it that way. From time to time, I used the cymbal on gigs but came to the conclusion that its true sound had been compromised.

I saw a 21" sweet ride the other day floored with a demo - set of Pearl Masters at local music store. I mentioned to the drum pro my own Sweet ride and he suggested that I might want to put some rivets in it. Why not, indeed. He let me have 6 rivets ( no charge). Earlier to day, I turned a not - so -sweet sounding Sweet Ride into a 21" Sweet Sizzle Ride. Doesn't sound half - bad and I'm sure that I can make some use of it. The photos before will show both Before and After

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...epair/crack.jp

User Info Menu

Default Re: Cymbal repair

Aw man, the link says the photo was moved or deleted. Sounds like a great little fix, though.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Ditto

User Info Menu

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...pair/crack.jpg

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...ir/Riveted.jpg

Sorry people...sometimes I get so "Computer challenged" I want to spit. Anyway, I spent the last two hours working out on my kit with and without the cymbal. It isn't bad but I'm not convinced that I will use it much. My Istanbul AGOP has the dark quality that I've come to appreciate. I'll give the cymbal a try with the Trio and see whether I like it or not.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Cymbal repair

Da Other Option Might Be Da Decades Old "PHROGGE PHIX"....If Ya Find It Doesnt Work For Da Trio Either...
    Take Some Tin Snips And Cut Da Cymabal To Da Size Where Da Crack Is,Smooth Off Da Edges And You Have A Very Unique Sounding Splash!!!!i Used To Do Dat All Da Time And Then Use Da Old Rogers Strait Cymbal Extender Arms
    To Stack Em....Just A Thot For Phun If Ya Aint Gonna Use It Anyway!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    A few years back, I acquired a Zildjian 21" Sweet Ride cymbla an ebay for $50. I thought I was getting a real deal but, I should have known something wasn't quite right. I was the only bidder with a few minutes left for the auction. It was just after I confirmed my bid that I read, in the small print, that the cymbal had a crack in it. Damn! I received the cymbal and saw about a 4" crack in the lathing mid - way up the cymbal. I figured that some heavy - handed dude misused the cymbal as a crash rather than a ride. To stop the crack from spreading any further. I drilled a small hole at either end and left it that way. From time to time, I used the cymbal on gigs but came to the conclusion that its true sound had been compromised.

I saw a 21" sweet ride the other day floored with a demo - set of Pearl Masters at local music store. I mentioned to the drum pro my own Sweet ride and he suggested that I might want to put some rivets in it. Why not, indeed. He let me have 6 rivets ( no charge). Earlier to day, I turned a not - so -sweet sounding Sweet Ride into a 21" Sweet Sizzle Ride. Doesn't sound half - bad and I'm sure that I can make some use of it. The photos before will show both Before and After

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...epair/crack.jp
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo FIACOVAZ *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT)EXCELLENT THATS WHAT I Do ,VERY COOL GRACIAS

User Info Menu

You are pretty crafty!!! $50 and some rivets, I think you got a good deal!

User Info Menu

Hey Frank that certainly is a huge crack there. Unfortunately that crack maybe way too big to repair perfectly. I still dont get how that would happen to a ride, it must have been really abused.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

i think you turned another mans trash into your treasure

wow i can't imagine how someone got a crack like that in the mid of a ride...
    -Steven