Thread: poor mans K's

User Info Menu

Default poor mans K's

So i am in the market for some new hats, and i came acrossed so Toscos

excellent deal, and i do realize they are a very rare to come across cymbal, do anyone have an opinion on these?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: poor mans K's

I've heard the Tosco cymbals are definitely comparable to K's, so I would say go for it for the price dude. I was considering getting these long ago til my budget was raised.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    I've heard the Tosco cymbals are definitely comparable to K's, so I would say go for it for the price dude. I was considering getting these long ago til my budget was raised.
    well i will not get to hear them before i buy them (because online is the only place to find them where i live, so i want to make sure they will be good
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Hmm...Not sure about this....
    Maybe you better save your money and buy another cymbal
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Yea the only thing is, you would have to save up alot before you can buy a nice cymbal. This one is equal in price to B8 packs and high quality.

User Info Menu

yes the quality is much higher, it uses b20 bronze, and the b8's, use b8 bronze lol
    -Steven

User Info Menu

so i have between 150-200 dollars, would this be the best quality i could get, or should i spend 150ish?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

It depends on what you're buying. I'd go on ebay and check out some Paiste 2002's or even Sigs in that range for hihats or a smaller crash.

User Info Menu

It depends on what you're buying. I'd go on ebay and check out some Paiste 2002's or even Sigs in that range for hihats or a smaller crash.
    a smaller crash?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

From what I read on line and the Tosco site, it seems that these cymbals will have a smaller niche market...probably not for the heavy metal and mega rock players. For the price listed, why not go ahead and make the purchase? If you don't like them, you won't be out of a whole lot of money. The description of a medium wgt. top cymbal over a med. hvy. bottom cymbal is to be expected for hi-hats so, no points there. However, it would be interesting to know what the gram wgt. for each cymbal is. I notice that the "Retail" selling price is kind of high for these...over $300 with a sugg. sale price of $59.99. That makes for an approx. 80% discount. Hmmm. As Sabian is producing this line up, It may be that an introductory event is in progress to get these cymbals out and into the market place. In any regard, the asking price is relatively cheap and certain not to break your "Bank."

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    From what I read on line and the Tosco site, it seems that these cymbals will have a smaller niche market...probably not for the heavy metal and mega rock players. For the price listed, why not go ahead and make the purchase? If you don't like them, you won't be out of a whole lot of money. The description of a medium wgt. top cymbal over a med. hvy. bottom cymbal is to be expected for hi-hats so, no points there. However, it would be interesting to know what the gram wgt. for each cymbal is. I notice that the "Retail" selling price is kind of high for these...over $300 with a sugg. sale price of $59.99. That makes for an approx. 80% discount. Hmmm. As Sabian is producing this line up, It may be that an introductory event is in progress to get these cymbals out and into the market place. In any regard, the asking price is relatively cheap and certain not to break your "Bank."
    Thank you.

yes the 80% discount sounds great, i know musicians friend generally takes awya like 30-40% so i agree sabian must just be trying to get this branch in the market before giving them a deserving price.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Yw

User Info Menu

for that price, you have to try them. I just ordered them haha.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Beave View Post
    for that price, you have to try them. I just ordered them haha.
    haha im ordering them right now to be honest, but im trying to get the price to 99$ for free shipping, and so i can get a new snare head (i also bought a 8" accent cymbal)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    a smaller crash?
    I was just suggesting a small crash cuz I didn't know the type of cymbal you were buying.

User Info Menu

I was just suggesting a small crash cuz I didn't know the type of cymbal you were buying.
    oh, oke
    -Steven

User Info Menu

not much to loose at 53.39 for b20 cymbal

i say jump on it fast

R.i.P. FRANK YOU WILL BE REMEMBER AS A GENTLEMAN

how to attach an image http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ures-7721.html

FRENCHY

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Riouel View Post
    not much to loose at 53.39 for b20 cymbal

i say jump on it fast
    trust me after i asked on here i bought them, so i will let everyone know how they are!
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I played them a few times, and they sound much better than a typical cymbal. I'm not sure if they're cast cymbals or not, but they certainly sounded like it. Really a nice tone. I've heard they're being discontinued, but, based on my own ears, I'd say definitely go for it.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by shoedaddy View Post
    I played them a few times, and they sound much better than a typical cymbal. I'm not sure if they're cast cymbals or not, but they certainly sounded like it. Really a nice tone. I've heard they're being discontinued, but, based on my own ears, I'd say definitely go for it.
    yes after looking into it they have been discountinued, so its was a great opportunity for me
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Hmm, these sound like a deal. I also happen to need a pair of 14" hats and I'm a HUGE fan of the Ks....

Alrighty. Ordered them (and some other goodies too of course).
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by quikstang2 View Post
    Hmm, these sound like a deal. I also happen to need a pair of 14" hats and I'm a HUGE fan of the Ks....

Alrighty. Ordered them (and some other goodies too of course).
    haha, its to great of a deal to pass up, even if they arent your sound, they are discontinued italian made cymbals, good investment
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Mine should be here tommorrow!

User Info Menu

yep, i did the 2-5 day shipping, so it will be this week, or sadly maybe early next week I AM HOPING TOMMORROW THOUGH

it sucks, i sold all of my sabian b8's with my old drumset, to my neighbor, and all i have left is my zildjian avedis ride.(until i go pick up my z customs crashes that were on layaway clearance) lol
    Last edited by Zeta; 09-03-2008 at 11:55 AM.
    -Steven