Thread: Keep em clean...

User Info Menu

Default Keep em clean...

Here is a tip for keeping your drums and hardware clean and corrosion free especially if you play out in bars, gigs etc. Get a box of the disposable nitrile gloves and keep em in your gig bag. Have anyone handling your drums and hardware wear them when setting up and tearing down. This keeps fingerprints, sweat, skin oil and anything else off of them that could cause corrosion down the road and does wonders to keep em clean and new looking. Also get a bottle of spray wax. (Always check with your drum manfacturer for any special considerations for your particluar finish) Once everything is setup use sparingly on a rag and wipe everything down. Gives everything a nice shine and removes the dust. Buff with a clean rag. They will sparle under the stage lights! The wax also helps repel sweat and moisture and also prevents any corrosion from developing. One other trick I found recently is using armorall glass cleaning wipes. They work well for getting in those hard to reach places on your chrome, lugs and other hardware. They leave no streaks and are nice and thin to get in those tight areas. The gloves are also great for when it comes time to clean your cymbals.

Pacific X7 Drums
    DW 7002 Double Pedal
    Paiste 2002 Sound Edge High Hats
    14", 16", 18" 2002 Thin Crash
    14", 16", 18" 2002 Crash
    16" 2002 Medium Crash
    18" 2002 Thin China
    12" 2002 Splash
    20" 2002 Heavy Ride (Discontinued)
    Last edited by Timmkatt; 08-31-2008 at 03:00 PM.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Keep em clean...

Sounds a bit obsessive to me drums are for playing not looking at. Each to their own tho :P

User Info Menu

Cars are for driving houses are for living in but like all expensive items they deserve care and to be kept looking their best. Like any tips or advice it only applies if you need it. Thanks

User Info Menu

Each month before my big band plays it's regularly scheduled gig, I wipe down my drums and use Dunlap spray shell polish. Makes the drums shine/sparkle like the day I brought them home...44 years ago. Once a year, I remove the chrome rims and give them a polishing. Have any of you ever noticed that a freshly washed and cleaned car seems to ride nicer? Well, my drums seem to play much nicer when cleaned. HaHa...just kidding about that. I'm proud of my drums; and I like the way they look and sound. Oh yes, I do clean my cymbals as well...Paiste cymbal polish.

User Info Menu

Great tip Timm. Believe it or not, Drum Bum just started stocking some gloves that have metal polish built in. Those drummers that set up their cymbals with gloves like that (yes, they're out there), they can now buff their cymbals when they're putting them on!

I was giving them a hard time about it... LOL... but like you said; to each his own.

User Info Menu

the tip makes sense to me

User Info Menu

Thanks for the tips on cleaning TK. I like a clean kit as well. I sure wouldn't mind having my kit for 44 years, like Fiacovaz!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use car wax on my cymbals, keeps them looking great for a long time. And no it does not effect the sound. I know I know, now I've started the "don't clean your cymbals" argument. some of us Like them clean.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Timmkatt View Post
    Cars are for driving houses are for living in but like all expensive items they deserve care and to be kept looking their best. Like any tips or advice it only applies if you need it. Thanks
    I think you took that the wrong way. I keep my drums as clean as any, it's just the people who spend loads of money on their kit then spend more time cleaning it then practicing who irritate me (not that I'm saying your one of these people). I guess I've just been unlucky coming up against big headed drummers who think they are better than you cos they have shiny expensive drum kits...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhaAw@ View Post
    I think you took that the wrong way. I keep my drums as clean as any, it's just the people who spend loads of money on their kit then spend more time cleaning it then practicing who irritate me (not that I'm saying your one of these people). I guess I've just been unlucky coming up against big headed drummers who think they are better than you cos they have shiny expensive drum kits...
    Ah, the hot button! We've all got them. Thanks for clarifying your comment RhaAw.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Thanks for clarifying. I should have elaborated as well. I've run into those people too. I used to "deep clean" my kit only once every couple of months and this method was just a way to keep them from getting too dirty in between. And sweat and moisture can cause corrosion to start if not wiped off. So many people are handling your stuff when setting up for a gig that the gloves are a good way to keep em lookin good in between those cleanings. Yea some drummers I've seen wipe down every inch and get very upset if you so much as breathe on them. But everyone has their preference.

User Info Menu

another tip- just dust em!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

another good cleaning tip is to use windex on your shells and rims. It gives them a really nice shine especially under lights. Make sure you don't get it on the heads though

User Info Menu

Great tip, I haven't given much thought to the spray wax but that is a great idea that I will implement. Thank you!