Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you play Matched Grip or the "wrong" way?

User Info Menu

Default Do you play Matched Grip or the "wrong" way?

Ha, I knew that would get your attention!
    Seriously, who plays matched and who plays traditional?

User Info Menu

i play both. if i play traditional , i can throw in some stick twirls, but mainly i use the matched method.
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

Baw, you've got the most posts so far. I think you'll be the first to reach 100, and/or that next level (whatever it is). I'm thinking "Senior Member" perhaps? I guess we'll find out.

Thanks for all your involvement. It really helps us get this new forum going. Things are lookin' up!

User Info Menu

By the way, I'm matched mostly but I started out traditional. I can still play traditional a bit, until I get into a lot of rudimental stuff then I need to turn it over. I usually play brushes traditional because it just feels more comfortable that way.

User Info Menu

I play traditional grip about 95% of the time. If I need to do something like a Gene krupa beat (or I just want to look like Ringo) I'll flip the left stick around and us the butt end of it. I never have a "matching" matched grip.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer
    Baw, you've got the most posts so far. I think you'll be the first to reach 100, and/or that next level (whatever it is). I'm thinking "Senior Member" perhaps? I guess we'll find out.

Thanks for all your involvement. It really helps us get this new forum going. Things are lookin' up!

im glad i can be of service! but what can i say...start a drum fourm, you have me hooked for life!
    When drummers are away from their instruments, which is quite often, they often resort to air drumming. Although often distracting to others, playing air drums provides drummers with a mental practice session that can help a great deal.

User Info Menu

I play traditional grip

User Info Menu

i play matched most of the time....just feels more natural for me...

User Info Menu

matched grip
    max

User Info Menu

I play matched but i want to learn traditional as it would be good to learn and i find it easier to twirl.

User Info Menu

Both!! I like traditional for blues and some funk. But mostly matched for everything else.
    Romans 8:28

And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love Him, who have been called according to His purpose.

User Info Menu

Both. It depends on the type of music. Blues, Jazz, and some R&B Traditional. Rock,Metal, Match grip. Depends on the type of music. Easy lisening or lighter music Traditional. All else Match grip.

User Info Menu

i play matched because i've tried playing traditional and i just cant idk why but yeah i cant play traditional and i think matched just feels better for me
    |M|o|u|n|t|a|i|n| |D|e|w| My Anti-Drug

User Info Menu

matched but i use the butt end of the left hand stick

User Info Menu

interesting....y is that?

User Info Menu

well i play rock ...and i find i get a better "thwack" on the snare and it just feels weighted right for me .

User Info Menu

I play matched almost all of rhe time. I switch to traditional if the song requires a lot of rolling.
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

When I began to learn the drums, I was taught traditional. After about a year, I switched to matched grip, and I've been playing that way ever since... 26 years and counting...
    Regal Tip Quantum 3000 nylon tip - my weapons of mass destruction

User Info Menu

i usually play matched... i play traditional in the school band sometimes but thats just cuz my stupid teacher doesnt even know how to play drums, so thats how she taught the other 2 yr drummers so thats how she expects us to play. its a habit though, 7 yrs of matched grip is hard to break. not very good at traditional
    -Leslie (aka Lezzle..)

If in any way I show signs of stupidity or lack of intellegence, this is why:

Blond + Drummer =

User Info Menu

I know this is an old thread but i thourght id breath some new life into it. Ive allways played german matched grip but i had a lot of time on my hands and i decided to learn traditional grip. I found it quite nice. The only drawbacks, as far as i know about traditional grip, is lack of power. But this doesnt really apply to me because im a soft hitter anyway.

User Info Menu

i play the wrong way. Not just sticks, i play EVERYTHING the wrong way... only messing, i love my matched grip, self taught so i never learned about trad grip until i was WAY into playing
    I Shall Never be caught, you will never obtain my Weapons of Mass Percussion, MWA HA HA HA HA!!

User Info Menu

I prefer matched grip, but I actually started with the traditional, and I still try to practice that way some. I also noticed that my drum teacher likes a matched grip with palms facing inward (I play palms down). I was told that is "French grip." I experiment with them all, but I think my favorite, at the moment. is matched grip, palms down.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

I use both. I learnt tradional when playing in the marching band... and i use traditional when i play jazz with my mate sometimes. But mostly matched on kits.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I'll play matched most the time. Mostly if I play right handed (I'm a lefty.) or if I just feel like I'm playing a really, really cool groove I'll switch.

User Info Menu

I play both, during marching season we had to play this piece with a long rest (as usual :/) and our drum instructor wanted us to switch from traditional to match with a cool little twirl thing that I still use as a transition
    Last edited by eggman; 07-08-2007 at 05:18 AM.
    The egg approves!