Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: is my drumming really THAT bad?

User Info Menu

Default is my drumming really THAT bad?

a friend of mine and I decided to get together about a month ago and start a band. today we had a guy come in to audition to sing. he never sung a word. he basically heard us run through two songs and told us we weren't good enough for him. he put the guitarist down for not know a standard blues progression, said her lyric writing looks like something he wrote back in high school. he then said that my drumming was "all over the place" and continued to say that when I add a fill or do anything other than a standard beat, my timing "gets all f**ked up". now I know I'm not that good because I've been drumming for, maybe, 2 months. but is my drumming really that bad? I know we shouldn't listen to a singer/guitarist with an ego the size of this guy, but I can't help but ask people who know something about drumming.

here's a song we recorded last week. since we currently don't have a singer or bassist, there's no vocals or bass. the quality isn't that great. we recorded it straight to her laptop using one mic in the center of the room.
    http://www.supload.com/music/Revolvi...-download.html

by the way, I apologize if this isn't in the right section.

User Info Menu

Default Re: is my drumming really THAT bad?

Dude, you've been drumming for two months. You're not ready for the L.A. Coliseum, but you don't sound terrible. Don't go on the internet asking every Tom, ****, & Harry how you sound. Just keep at it and you'll get better. Lastly, your guitarist is an idiot if he doesn't know how to play a basic blues progression.

User Info Menu

I would say you're better off without that guy first of all. Sounds like a real jerk. To only be playing for two months man you sure do keep good time. I wouldn't sweat it bro. Just find some folks you like to jam with and go with the flow. Have fun with your music and the rest will take care of itself. Great tune BTW. You two have a great start I think.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

GSC, I wouldn't worry about it too much. I thought your beat was basic, but good. I thought you sounded just fine, and you're not supposed to sound like a pro at this stage. The singer was a jerk. If this wasn't the band for him, he should have been gracious, and just admitted that he was looking for something on a professional level, given you some encouragement, and said goodbye.

Listen, we've got some very good drummers here at Drum Chat, who heard my drumming when I was getting started, and they were nothing but encouraging, and complimentary. Don't let the negative people get to you, and just realize that you are better off without that singer anyway!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

two months? hmmmm give it time son. If i were you i would just jam and get better and what not, i mean what's the rush?

User Info Menu

Those type people are rarely as good as they think they are. You are much better off with out him. You need a singer not an ego maniac! Don't let a dweeb like that define you as a drummer.

User Info Menu

Bro your better than i was when i had been playing for 2 months
    Just remeber there is no bad drumming if your learning the bad drumming comes When you think your a rock star LOL (dont worriy you will get it in good time)
    My Advice and this is what i give ever drummer that is starting
    1. Buy A metranome it is the most important tool in learning. Way to many drummers never play to a metranome untill its to late, how many times do you hear a drummer with 4 plus years under his belt gos into a recording studio and has a hard time, Mostly with the band having to get a session drummer to do the tracks because the player fights the click the hole way. ITS THE MOST IMPORTANT THING YOU CAN DO
    2. Practice (always with a click track) as much as you can if you have a band now you might want to deticate a lot of time to Standed Groves and simple fills to better your band. when the groves are solid buy a book like Stick Control for the snare drummer and practice it back to front on the snare when the snare is good practice it all around the kit (ALWAYS TO A CLICK TRACK)
    3. every thing you practice do it to a metranome CLICK TRACK
    yes im sounding like a broken record here but it is the most important and most overlooked part of our craft "TIMING"
    i spent 4 years with a Jazz teacher playing Stick contol with a click track and hated ever minitue of it . but now
    Studio work no hassels
    Playing to sequence tracks in Big Tribute shows "No hassels"
    the complement i get most it WOW your like a human Click track,
    It may not be "MAN those fills you do are the best ' But it is good timimg that gets the gigs that pays the cash
    the only People that 7 stroke rolls at 300 impress are other drummers.
    And as a drummer you will rearly have to sit infront of another Drummer in a Audition and impress them.
    The people wanting to be impressed will be singers, managers, Guitarists, Bass players
    And the thing that will impress these people will be
    CONSITANCY and TIMING
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

What was his name? Simon Cowell? LOL

all the best...

User Info Menu

Dont worry about it dude. Sounds like the singer is a total idiot and rude to boot. Keep practicing and in a few years when your all much better players and the same singer comes down for an audition - tell him where to go!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Dont worry about it dude. Sounds like the singer is a total idiot and rude to boot. Keep practicing and in a few years when your all much better players and the same singer comes down for an audition - tell him where to go!
    HOLA como estas DUSTIN Mi amigo CRETIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) **EXCELLENTE' LOVE IT *Gracias

User Info Menu

That's very good for 2 months. And your guitarist isn't that bad. It's a fun tune as well.
    Long story short, that singer has his head located somewhere in the regions of his posterior. Keep up your practice and you'll surpass that theoretical twerp.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Look, we all have to start some place. You don't get good over night. Your playing sounds great for 2 months. The fact is it takes years to get really good.

So you ran into a guy who thinks his poop does not stink. Blow it off and keep going. You will fins some one that is in the same place the rest of you are and it will work out.

If you are serious get a good teacher and study your butt off.

The main thing is to keep at it and constantly improve, and trust me that will never change ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Nice tune, good solid beat, guitarist sound good too.
    No, your drumming is not that bad it is actually very good of only 2 months of study. keep at it.
    If you are looking jam with other players make sure you tell them ahead of time what level you are currently at. Also you may want to ask them to leave the ego's at the door!!

User Info Menu

As said you sound solid for someone whose been playing two months! Nice little riff tune there.

My advise is to learn how to tune drums well early, a great sounding kit will help keep you ahead of the game.

User Info Menu

Great little tune! I wish I could find a guitarist that was that "bad." I can't even find one who wants to play!

User Info Menu

I think you did a great job keeping tempo, especially for olny playing for two month!

and if your guitarist doesnt know a basic blues scale, then they need to learn it!

If you want to make sure you keep tempo, for your own security, then go buy a metronome and plug it into the amp and practice alot of different tempos.

good job though!, two months into my playing i didnt realize how important tempo was, so this is a good lesson for you!
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Im not able to check out the link cause Im at work but I will say 2 months is a short ammount of time to be playing .

Everyone progresses at their own speed, just keep playing and practicing , the more time you invest in doing so the quicker / better you will become .

Maybe you should get some friends together for now to jam with before advertising for a lead singer in a band. Just my thoughts on the subject with out being able to even hear your stuff . I will check out the link from home some night. Good luck with it .

User Info Menu

thanks guys. I do try to practice to a metronome whenever I can. and I'm self taught because I can't afford drum lessons right now. but I thought for being self taught and only two months of serious drumming that I was decent, not the best because I know drums take years to get good at, but decent. and this guy made me sound like a child banding on pots and pans... I don't know. like I said, I know I shouldn't care what he thought, but it really pissed me off.

thanks again for the advice and taking the time to listen to one of our songs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrohlStClair View Post
    thanks guys. I do try to practice to a metronome whenever I can. and I'm self taught because I can't afford drum lessons right now. but I thought for being self taught and only two months of serious drumming that I was decent, not the best because I know drums take years to get good at, but decent. and this guy made me sound like a child banding on pots and pans... I don't know. like I said, I know I shouldn't care what he thought, but it really pissed me off.

thanks again for the advice and taking the time to listen to one of our songs.
    if i may ask, are you in school? cause i just joined the jazz band, and it helps alot to play with other drummers, who have different styles, and different ideas
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    if i may ask, are you in school? cause i just joined the jazz band, and it helps alot to play with other drummers, who have different styles, and different ideas
    no, I'm an old guy(24)

I've been trying to get in touch with the drummer from my old band. he was really good and studied with mike mangini. he encouraged me to take up the drums and had some pretty good advice, but I lost touch with him once the band broke up...

User Info Menu

I was expecting it to be bad but am pleasantly surprised. I mean it is basic but for 2 months its pretty darn good! I like it, i think as most people are saying the singer was just a jerk. How can someone who cant even play an instrument (ok sorry, big assumption) criticize people who play instruments. Singing is like the easiest thing to do, hes probably just got a chip on his shoulder

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by GrohlStClair View Post
    no, I'm an old guy(24)

I've been trying to get in touch with the drummer from my old band. he was really good and studied with mike mangini. he encouraged me to take up the drums and had some pretty good advice, but I lost touch with him once the band broke up...
    oh, well the on suggestion i have then is free online video lessons, they arent as good as personal lessons, but they get the job done
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Okay...24 years old and just starting to play drums. Take stock of what you have in your favor: 1. Smart...you will be able to grasp concept of lessons very quickly. 2. Motor skills...you've demonstrated that you can play some basic and fundamental beats. 3. Sense of timing...the beat was there. 4. Desire...that's why you found the drumchat Forum. 5. Sensitivity...the guy didn't piss you off as much as you already have an underlying sense of "Do I know what I'm doing?" That takes a lot of guts to own up to. Going forward...there are many who are self-taught and the very best of them will tell you it would have been much easier with lessons and instruction. You already touched upon that...can't afford them at this time. When you can, take them! In the meantime, it's easy to get lost and bewildered. Get yourself a copy of Tommy Igoe's "Groove Essentials" DVD with the book. There's a lot that will be lost on you at this time but, there is enough that will help you improve upon what you already have going for yourself. With this, you will learn what it is you are doing and how to make a forward progression. Welcome to the Forum and to the world of drumming.

PS: PB, Bongo Bro , Phroggee and I are the "Old guys."

User Info Menu

thanks guys for the encouraging words and helpful advice, I really appreciate it

User Info Menu

GSC, not only do I get to be in the "old guys" club, but I also get to be in the "new drummers" club. Just enjoyin' the journey!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!