Thread: Remo Fiberskyn Heads

User Info Menu

Default Remo Fiberskyn Heads

Aloha Gang!

So here's my short version of my quest to find Remo fiberskyn heads for my conga's and bongo's. I called ALL the music stores here in Hawaii, and no one carried the heads. In fact, 2 of the music shops here didn't even show them as being available in Remo's catalog! So I had to put on my investigator hat and get to the bottom of this mystery. I ended up calling Remo directly. (If you ever have to call Remo, ask for Christina Rodrigues...she was AWESOME! VERY helpful and willing to do whatever she needed to do for me!) It ends up that these heads are all special order only, AND most of the music stores here in Hawaii buy Remo thru the same distributor...and the distributors catalog doesn't have the heads listed! I ended up telling my drum guy at "Harry's Music" (another fine establishment that's been around FOREVER!) that he should call Christina at Remo, and go direct. *WHEW!* Talk about a journey!! Anyway, I should see some Fiberskyn's hit my doorstep in about 4-6 weeks, because they're also made on order. It's okay though, it'll be worth the effort!!

I'll take some photo's and post them once I get them.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Remo Fiberskyn Heads

On congas, fiberskyn is more stable for tuning in regards to humidity and temperture. Skins can be problematic in Winter and in humid areas. Fiberskin needs special attention to achieve tone close to skin though. I often play around with varu=ious dampening techniques like using duct tape, rubber weather stripping or Sticky tack.

First I tune the head then I dampen it on the top side to determine what combination works for the tone I wish to achieve. Then I remove the head and apply the dampening combination on the underside of the conga head.

It is alot of work but well worth it. Your drums will thank you.