Results 1 to 12 of 12

Thread: Advanced Techniques

  1. #1

    User Info Menu

    Default Advanced Techniques

    I visited a bass forum recently and the amount of advanced techniques they had flying about where insane. So much stuff going on. Looking at my drums, I haven't really progressed that much in the last 3 months or so of playing; I've been very lax on my practice and I've just been hitting them. I feel that whilst my ear and ability to actually play a groove just from hearing it once has improved a lot, so much that I can nail most RATM songs straight away, my actual technical skill and creativity has decreased somewhat...
    Just an example. In June, I was blazing away at Rush and Soundgarden tracks with ease, nailing most of them; today I came back to a Soundgarden track I knew and struggled to feel the song, learn the rhythm. This is a little frustrating. I haven't seen my drum teacher in a long time either, so I know he can help with my technique, but I'm also wondering if anyone (particularly the more jazzy players) can show me some more advanced techniques on the drums that will really help inspire me and my playing. Thanks.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

  2. #2

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I visited a bass forum recently and the amount of advanced techniques they had flying about where insane. So much stuff going on. Looking at my drums, I haven't really progressed that much in the last 3 months or so of playing; I've been very lax on my practice and I've just been hitting them. I feel that whilst my ear and ability to actually play a groove just from hearing it once has improved a lot, so much that I can nail most RATM songs straight away, my actual technical skill and creativity has decreased somewhat...
    Just an example. In June, I was blazing away at Rush and Soundgarden tracks with ease, nailing most of them; today I came back to a Soundgarden track I knew and struggled to feel the song, learn the rhythm. This is a little frustrating. I haven't seen my drum teacher in a long time either, so I know he can help with my technique, but I'm also wondering if anyone (particularly the more jazzy players) can show me some more advanced techniques on the drums that will really help inspire me and my playing. Thanks.
    Which RATM songs do you play?? I like Brad Wilk's drumming. I prefer the Audioslave stuff. I don't care much for Zach.

  3. #3

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    need a spark to get ya going again eh!! hhhhhmmmmm. let me think.

  4. #4

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    Ethel!! if you can nail rush songs with no problem, you are already learning some advanced technique! the best thing you can do is keep up with the play a longs and watch some videos as previously requested. if you play along to bands that you actually are into, it helps also. try some fast paced stuff, and you will begin to develop your own custom technique. good luck with this....let us know of improvements!!

  5. #5

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    u play with any players at the moment? or band?

  6. #6

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    Ethel!! if you can nail rush songs with no problem, you are already learning some advanced technique! the best thing you can do is keep up with the play a longs and watch some videos as previously requested. if you play along to bands that you actually are into, it helps also. try some fast paced stuff, and you will begin to develop your own custom technique. good luck with this....let us know of improvements!!
    i agree, and i was feeling the same way, but i watched a couple of videos, and now i got the double pedal tech down, i am so happy, just patience and practice ethel, you'll get it


    if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

  7. #7

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    One thing that I've learned, ethel, to overcome the same frustration as you described is to study different areas of drumming. As you know from the Forum, I play big band jazz almost exclusively. But, for inspiration, I watch my Tommy Igoe, Mike Michalkow and Steve Smith DVD's. They get me away from big band and put me into places I have not been to in a long time. I always pick up something new each time I study them....a new way of thinking or viewing an approach. Perhaps you are much to focused on what you like and need something "Different" to get you thinking in another direction. Just a thought...

  8. #8

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Which RATM songs do you play?? I like Brad Wilk's drumming. I prefer the Audioslave stuff. I don't care much for Zach.
    Well most songs. I have to admit I haven't got the bit in the middle of Killing In The Name down, but only because I really haven't tried learning it. Nailed the rest of that groove much.
    Zach vs Chris Cornell is a tough call as well :>

    rat, I'm not playing with anyone at the moment, but I'm trying to teach some basic skills to someone on bass so we could form a band.

    Oh and the Rush comment...not to sound too egotistical, it wasn't an over exaggeration, but it was true. If I came back to it today, though, I feel I'd struggle it. I haven't been practicing, I haven't been doing my homework. I need the spark to reinvigorate my playing.
    Thanks for the kind words.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

  9. #9

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    The spark you need then is a live drum clinic by a top dawg. November is international drum month buddy, check out some clinic dates of your fave drummers and make a date!! Not only will you get that spark you are searching for, sometimes you can catch your butt on fire, with the right clinic.

  10. #10

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    A good book to work with is Rick Latham's Advanced Funk Studies. Also, if you'd rather play by ear, try listen to some old EL+P or Genesis (when Peter Gabriel was the singer.) You should find the work of Carl Palmer and Phil Collins exciting, and challenging. For Phil, try and dig up Cinema Show, Supper's Ready, Dance on a Volcano, In that Quiet Earth, In the Cage, (anything from the Lamb Lies Down album.)etc. For Carl, try Tank, excerpts from karn Evil #9, excerpts from Taurkus, Pirates, *****es Crystal, and Trilogy. If you could play along with any of these songs then you shouldn't be wasting your time on this forum. You should be out on the road or in some studio. Good Luck!!!!

    andy

  11. #11

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    Ah, Phil Collins. I'll give him a blast...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

  12. #12

    User Info Menu

    Default Re: Advanced Techniques

    I LOVE Killing in the Name of!

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •