Thread: who plays at jam night or open mic?

User Info Menu

Default who plays at jam night or open mic?

there are lots of open mic night places here in orlando,florida. some better than others.i go from time to time just to shake things up(w/ my skills) and play with different guys and see what happens. i always learn something! sometimes from other guys and sometimes from myself, ie:what works and what doesn't. i like trying new grooves with old songs,or just a vamp with new fills i've pick up. how "bout you guys?
    if you can't keep time... then your just making noise!

User Info Menu

Default Re: who plays at jam night or open mic?

whats up man?? hey my band always used to play the open mic nights and fill-ins just so we could blow the doors off of any competition to get our band name out there but we are out here in california though. we also used to just pull up on my dumb buddy's flatbed trailer in the middle of a crowded park and just start playing! *if you make noise, people will come* the cops diddnt like it too much, but when they tell you to quit, then quit! nothing to lose. its all fun and games buddy!!!

User Info Menu

I've done the whole jam night thing three times. I usually try to stray away from it because most of the people who want to play do death metal and that's not exactly what I like to play, but still do it from time to time.
    It's a classic.

• How many drummers does it take to change a lightbulb?
    Five: One to screw the bulb in, and four to talk about how much better
    Neil Peart could have done it.

User Info Menu

i wish i could do that, i live in the middle of nowhere, but i always improv with my brother and i feel that if i go and play with some people that arent insane, i could play with them

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

I LOVE Open Mic Night!!!! My thing is that they are on Sunday nights, and 5am comes real early. Plus, I have to drive 45minutes one way. Great place to meet people and see some talent. I wish more people attended them.

User Info Menu

i frequent the blues/jazz jam nights here in the kansas city area and host a couple a month. i have landed some good gigs out of it and gotten to meet alot of cool folks at the same time. and yeah, i've played mustang sally about 7 billion times.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    i frequent the blues/jazz jam nights here in the kansas city area and host a couple a month. i have landed some good gigs out of it and gotten to meet alot of cool folks at the same time. and yeah, i've played mustang sally about 7 billion times.
    Yeah, but Mustang Sally is a great tune to play! The crowd always enjoys it!

User Info Menu

Here, we used to have live Jazz Jam sessions...it's how I got back to playing. I walked in one night to scope it out and returned the following week and asked to sit - in. I was then asked to come back every Monday night to sit - in. Like Funky said, it was great for meeting some really cool people and making contacts. Eventually, I found the big band I've been with for the last 7 years. Sadly, there are no more jazz jam sessions like that...bar policies seem to change. To bad. They always had great crowds!!

User Info Menu

Down through the years I've met many people on open mic/jam nights. Often times I was offered a job replacing the open mic/jam night band's drummer. Sometimes I would accept, sometimes I would not.

Depends on how clandestine the offer, and how lucrative the contract...

ALWAYS, I would meet new instrumentalists and further my career as a touring/session drummer.

It's how I met up with my newest band, mates!

User Info Menu

Ilove open mics. Its great to go play with some different people and to be playing sctrictly for fun. Sadly I dont get much of a chance to got to them as my band is the houseband at a local club so Im busy every weekend.

User Info Menu

At least u didnt have to sing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    At least u didnt have to sing it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    oh, dont worry i get my backup on. RIDE SALLY RIDE!!!!!!!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: who plays at jam night or open mic?

I played several open mic nights with my former band, but haven't just jumped in and jammed ... not yet anyway! There are jam nights at clubs in my neighborhood, but most of the clubs (at least the ones I've heard most about) are country bars!

Guess I need to do a little probing, but jamming would be no problem since there have been many nights that I literally closed up the drum shop when I jammed with my "Latin Night" buddy and my drum teacher--and man, they were some of the most fun I've ever had behind my congas!

BTW, Funkster, I could "drive" that Mustang for ya!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Why couldn't you play country on the congas???? You could be the pioneer of that movement.

Question for open mic drummers.......

What rules of conduct is expected from a drummer on someone else's kit. Should they bring their own sticks, snares, pedals, or other goodies??? What are some things a drummer must not do?
    As a bass player, I would normally bring a pedal or two.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Why couldn't you play country on the congas???? You could be the pioneer of that movement.

What rules of conduct is expected from a drummer on someone else's kit. Should they bring their own sticks, snares, pedals, or other goodies??? What are some things a drummer must not do?
    Bring your own sticks. Move the stool only. Dont bash away like Keith Moon. Never show up the host drummer.

User Info Menu

def. your own sticks. i think it is okay to adjust throne, snare and hat hieght, but a good idea to ask the host drummer. i dont mind bringing my good drums and pies to the jams. i have never really had anyone disrespect my drums or damage them in any way at the open mic jams.

User Info Menu

i would say sticks, and i would personaly bring my rock crash

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: who plays at jam night or open mic?

Bring Yer Own Sticks.Pay Attention To Any Guidelines Da Drummer On Job Has Requested,Respect His Stuff (IT Could Be Yers At A Different Gig....How Would You Feel?)
    If He Requests Not Moving Or Adjusting....Dont.....This
    AINT Yer Showcase,,,Plus Da Challenge Is To Be As Good As You Can In Da Situation.....Good Luck
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by PHROGGE View Post
    Plus Da Challenge Is To Be As Good As You Can In Da Situation.....Good Luck
    that is exactly it right there. thats the main reason why i go to jams. i prefer to play with the people i dont really know musically. it has made me a better musician to be able to adapt and hold it down no matter the situation.

Larrysperf Guest

def. your own sticks. i think it is okay to adjust throne, snare and hat hieght, but a good idea to ask the host drummer. i dont mind bringing my good drums and pies to the jams. i have never really had anyone disrespect my drums or damage them in any way at the open mic jams.
    with that set jam night is at my house bring them lol