Thread: Tama Swingstar Vs Ludwig Accent Cs

User Info Menu

Question Tama Swingstar Vs Ludwig Accent Cs

I'm In The Market For A Beginner Set. Anyone Familiar W/the Swingstar? They're Both Comparable In Price. Which Is The Better Set? Thanks

User Info Menu

The only time I heard the swingstar set was while a customer practiced on a set at a Sam Ash store...they sounded ok. The Ludwig set on the other hand I have heard on stage (yes a live band was playing the Accent CS) and they sounded AWESOME!!!

User Info Menu

I have a Ludwig Accent Custom,And I like it alot.I purchased only the Shell Pack,And it has a great sound.I don't know about the Cs Series,But I do know the Accent Custom is better in my Opinion than a Tama Swingstar...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by navyluke
    The only time I heard the swingstar set was while a customer practiced on a set at a Sam Ash store...they sounded ok. The Ludwig set on the other hand I have heard on stage (yes a live band was playing the Accent CS) and they sounded AWESOME!!!
    I just picked up a set of Accent CS, and I must say that,IMO,for the money they are a great set. The hardware is not top of the line, but is more of a lightweight variety, and double braced. IMO, that hardware is more than adaquate, unless you are a real heavy player.

Now, the heads are ok. Most buyers end up switching them for Evans or Remo.

I know a guy that gigs every weekend, and he uses a set of Accent CS with Remo heads. They sound incredible! And to those not in the know, these drums often get mistaken for drums costing much, much more money.

User Info Menu

Wink

Thank u all for the feedback. I went w/the Ludwigs & i'm looking forward to getting them. I paid $459 which includes everything except cymbals. $529 w/a set of Zildjian ZBT's. They also come w/Remo heads.
    Last edited by oz25227; 12-16-2006 at 12:45 PM.

User Info Menu

Good luck with your set and I'm sure you'll enjoy it.. However I would of went with something besides ZBT's since they sound awful but if your just starting off they'll be fine
    God Bless & Rock On
    Current Set: Yamaha 7pc Maple Custom Abosulte
    Current Cymbals: Zildjian A Custom Cymbals
    Hardware: Yamaha 1100 Series, and DW 5000 Series Kick

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Slippy
    I would of went with something besides ZBT's since they sound awful but if your just starting off they'll be fine
    Whats sounds awefull to one, can sound awesome to another.

User Info Menu

Indeed so but with those ZBT's I only can doubt it (And I'm not trying to be negtive) but hey first when I got them and I started playing drums.. I thought they were the best thing since sliced bread :D
    God Bless & Rock On

User Info Menu

Question

Ok, what do u recommend for cymbals? Id rather go w/a cymbal set than buying individually since its cheaper. The only reason i got the zbt's is they came w/the set.

User Info Menu

is this the maple kit? iv'e heard good things about them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by oz25227
    Ok, what do u recommend for cymbals? Id rather go w/a cymbal set than buying individually since its cheaper. The only reason i got the zbt's is they came w/the set.
    Well, the sabian 8B set (14" hihats, 16" crash, 20" ride) Is defenitly woth its price (about €320, I guess thath's a small USD 400) But if you dont have that budget you can always buy an Meinl MCS set, contains the same as an sabian 8B set. (about €200, so i guess 240 USD?)

User Info Menu

Well, Too Be Honest I'd go with the B8 set or Z Zildjian Sets which could get you some nice sound.
    God Bless & Rock On

User Info Menu

Not sure, but so far i've received a lot of positive feedback

User Info Menu

i would not go with any of the budget cymbals if you can help it. if you already have the ZBTs dont invest in b8s, that would not be a big enuff upgrade from what you already have. trust me i have a set of ZBTs and a set of b8 pros on my practice and student kits. i personally dont like the z customs(loud, gongy and one dimentional). i would look into the A custom pack.

User Info Menu

Thanks. Since you mentioned you teach, what's your method of teaching? Curious to see if it's similar to how i'm being taught. I've only been taking lessons six weeks but my instructor is impressed w/the progress i'm making. Especially since my set hasnt come in yet & i cant practice at home.
    Last edited by oz25227; 12-19-2006 at 07:12 AM.

User Info Menu

i've only really been teaching for a year. i have 4 students. 2 of them are in highschool band and already have decent reading skills. i mainly teach them drumset technique and how to play by ear. the other 2 are still on rudiments and basic chart reading. i use the george lawrence book "stick control" as a guidline.

User Info Menu

I've been playing drums for about 16 years... I have played and always will play Ludwig drums.. not the crap Ludwig makes today (shall I say "accent") but vintage ludwig back when they were made in the good old USA.. If you want a great sounding kit without spending a fortune check e-bay for Ludwig "rockers" .anything made prior to the mid 80's were made in chicago. Great first kit I've seen them on ebay for about 500-600 bucks

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Musicnut74
    I've been playing drums for about 16 years... I have played and always will play Ludwig drums.. not the crap Ludwig makes today (shall I say "accent") but vintage ludwig back when they were made in the good old USA.. If you want a great sounding kit without spending a fortune check e-bay for Ludwig "rockers" .anything made prior to the mid 80's were made in chicago. Great first kit I've seen them on ebay for about 500-600 bucks
    the classic maple is still american made. great quality drums.

User Info Menu

true they are still made in the USA I stand corrected.. Only the high end ludwig drums