Thread: Question About Pearl Drums

User Info Menu

Default Question About Pearl Drums

hey does every pearl drum have the same type of mounting system? i have a pearl export set, and i want to expand it, so i found this nice tom on ebay, it is a pearl vsx, so will it take the same type of mounting system my export does?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Question About Pearl Drums

I am pretty sure Pearl tom holders are universal but I am sure someone on here will be able to confirm this for you

Ps welcome to DC!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

Shazane Guest

I believe they have different types of mounts. I think all the Exports have their suspension mounts, so any pearl drum with a suspension mount would be compatible.

User Info Menu

How are they mounted?

User Info Menu

Pearl, and a lot of clones, use half-inch pipes. Two mounted pipes into into the bass drum or on cymbal stands attached to the toms with their version of RIMS.

My first kit was a nine-piece Pearl World series kit. Birch and Mahogany shells, they sounded killer. I bought RIMS mounts for all of them back in '93. The pipe arms were now too long, since (with the RIMS on) the pipes couldn't go into the drum anymore. So I had cut them down with a pipe cutter. I bought my new kit. The guy who I lent the Pearls to (with hopes of selling them to him) couldn't figure them out. He could never get the toms positioned where he wanted them because the descending pipes were in the way or weren't long enough. He bought someone else's kit and I never forgave him. To this day I hate the Pearl half-inch pipe system.
    Last edited by Rob on Drums; 08-31-2008 at 07:43 PM.
    "The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter."

http://www.facebook.com/robert.romeo
    Noble & Cooley Drums
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    DW Pedals and Hardware

User Info Menu

They should fit. Ask Pearl. I have mounted toms on my Export.

User Info Menu

As long as you use the Pearl I.S.S. mounts, you will not have any problems mounting the toms as they attach to the rim only. The will also fit triple flanged hoops.

I have a Pearl ELX 8 piece with 4 toms mounted with the I.S.S. system (2 with die cast triple flange hoops) and have never had any problems at all. They also fit in cases with the mount on the drum, so no extra work to tear them down/set them up. Just make sure you get the one that is made for your drum size and you will be good to go!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

the answer is yes. I have a set of the high end Pearl tom mounts that I have used on export toms. You will be fine.

As stated above it is a standard tube dia.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    the answer is yes. I have a set of the high end Pearl tom mounts that I have used on export toms. You will be fine.

As stated above it is a standard tube dia.
    Are the tom mounts universal though?