Thread: Drum Dial

User Info Menu

Default Drum Dial

I know there's a thread on the DD but my question is as the DD guide states the larger the tom the higher the tympanic pressure. Can anyone explain the "theory" or fact of this? I find myself wanting to go lower the bigger the tom or maybe my subconsious has trouble believing it.

thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Drum Dial

I'm not really sure what you are asking but the drum dial is used to get you close to a desired pitch for each tom. My drum dial gave me pretty much the same tension settings for all toms and hopefully the size of the drum will define the pitch.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Tune the drum by ear first to the sound you like. Then measure the settings with the DD and use it for future tunings.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Tune the drum by ear first to the sound you like. Then measure the settings with the DD and use it for future tunings.
    Close. . . You use the DD to get all the lugs to the same tension, so the head is in tune with itself. Then you decide what DD tension setting sounds good to you, write it down, and tune to that setting each time. I write down my setting numbers at the top of my snare head.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

I'm not asking how to use it cause I use it pretty successfully, I'll get every lug tensioned right then I'll fine tune with my ears. I guess my question is more science based. Why the larger the drum the higher the tympanic pressure next to the bearing edge? According to the Drum Dial specs.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    I'm not asking how to use it cause I use it pretty successfully, I'll get every lug tensioned right then I'll fine tune with my ears. I guess my question is more science based. Why the larger the drum the higher the tympanic pressure next to the bearing edge? According to the Drum Dial specs.
    Because there is more air in the drum, so when you hit it more air wants to come out?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

When in doubt... or you don't find your answer, go directly to the source:

DrumDial Inc.
    1830 East Broadway #124-197
    Tucson, Arizona 85719 USA
    Phone: 1-800-860-0321
    Fax : (520) 578-8975
    info2@drumdial.com

Oh and welcome to the Drum Chat CGE.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    I guess my question is more science based. Why the larger the drum the higher the tympanic pressure next to the bearing edge? According to the Drum Dial specs.
    My guess would be that a larger drum head needs higher tension around its edges to be able to sustain the head from sinking in in the middle. But again, that is only my guess.

User Info Menu

I left my drumdial in the box with the pin slightly in and now it doesnt give correct readings. :(
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    I left my drumdial in the box with the pin slightly in and now it doesnt give correct readings. :(

I found a jewelry box at WalMart that looks like a tiny Anvil case that fits my DrumDial perfectly; just remove the foam liner and put it in the box.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    Hopefully you can just recalibrate it?

Larrysperf Guest

I use a torque wrench lol sorry couldnt resist.

User Info Menu

Larry you laugh but they make those also.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by tjolicoeur View Post
    Yep, got one. It's the Evans Torque Key, and it "breaks" when you get to the desired tension on the tension rod. It just helps me get even tension all around whenever I retune from scratch. I still fine tune everything by ear.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by tjolicoeur View Post
    I laughed cause I meant a real automotive torque wrench. DA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rhaAw@ View Post
    Hopefully you can just recalibrate it?
    Yes, as long as the pin is not damaged, and still pops out, all you need to do is loosen the bezel and reset the dial to 0. When you use the DD you should always make certain that it's set on 0 when you start.

If you have indeed damaged it, I would suggest contacting the company. I've heard that their customer service is outstanding.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Exactly what I found with the drum dial.
    I tune by ear, then tweak with the drum dial...
    wrks great!!!!
    cheers
    Jackstraw
    DW Collectors Series

User Info Menu

I lost confidence in the drum dial and put mine away. I don't know if it's a manufacturing issue but different heads require different torque and even if I have even typanic pressure I can still hear the looser lug is just out of tune.