Thread: Early beginnings?

User Info Menu

Default Early beginnings?

Ok so i was looking at a photo album today and i stumbled across pictures of me sitting behing a bunch of cardboard boxes set up like a drumset. I was using spoons as sticks and I looked really funny because my Dad dressed me as a rocker and i was like four. I would post them but they are really old pics so they arent on the computer. so my point in this story is I don't remember doing that but now I am a drummer. Does anyone else have stories about drumming before they were a drummer?
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Default Re: Early beginnings?

My story is that I was using those cylindrical Quaker Oatmeal boxes and my mom's wooden spoons when I was about 3 or 4 years old. My folks got me a toy snare drum when I was 5, but I ended up punching a hole in the head, and my folks just couldn't afford to replace it, so I never got another one. In fourth grade, they got me a used clarinet to play in the school band, and I played it for 2 years. Ran into a really bad music teacher at a new school, so I quite playing, and started focusing on baseball. 40 years later, I found the drums again!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Our 'music' lesson at primary school consisted of them putting us in a room with a load of then relatively obscure musical instruments (xylophone at the age of 5, anyone?) and then just let us bash away at them for ages...needless to say, everyone gained an affinity for rhythm. And about a year before I got into my drums, I developed that disease of beating out rhythms everywhere I went. So it was only a matter of time.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Other than pulling out the pots and pands once or twice... we had a piano that my mom wanted my little brother and I to learn at a young age. I noticed the pattern of the keys on the piano matched the pattern of the keys on a little kid's xylophone we had. So if you can play a xylophone with sticks then you should be able to play a piano with sticks... bad idea.

I also had one of those invisible snare drum things. It was two plastic sticks attached basically to a speaker and you could play on nothing in mid air and it would make a snare drum sound. It was the best toy ever until it broke.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

I was in kindergarten when i first hit on a drum set. It was my friends older brothers bands drum kit, it thought it was the coolest thing EVER. In second grade i started taking piano lessons, and took them on and off until 6th grade. In music class for elementary i played in the advanced goup because i knew how to read music very well. In fifth grade i started playing the trumpet(along with piano) i played for about a year, and was mooved to the advance concert band (yet again because of being good at reading music) In sixth grade i quit music almost completely because i had made the football team (mvp 6th and 7th grade!) Then in eight grade my family moved to colorado, and my aunt uncle and two cousins moved too. we all live in the same house, my cousins both played guitar, and because of how much music was around me, i pushed and pushed for a drumkit, and on my 14th birthday my parents took me to breakfast, and we went into the music store to buy my brothers christmas present, when my mom asked me what color i liked on the drums , i told her silver, and then she ignored it, we were walking out of the store and she turned to me and asked if i needed help carrying my new drumkit. i wish i could have seen my face, i nearly cried because for years and years we could not afford anything like this and my parents used their new found freedom to buy me my first kit.

Three years later i still thank my parents whenever i think about how happy i am to be playing such an incredible instrument.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

My parents brought me one of those kids drum kits when I was about 4 - I seem to remember smashing it to pieces Keith Moon style! about 4/5 Years later I did the pots n pans, a Tupperware box full of marbles for a snare and an old tennis racket that produced a click similar to a set of hats. I messed around with this for ages till I finally got behind a proper kit at school. I could actually play before I got to this stage thanks to my improvised kit and loads of records to play along to.

I got my first proper kit aged 14 with plenty of financial help from my parents (thanks mum & dad!!)
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

my first kit was a junka

wooden box kick drum and a set of bongos for toms
    a steal snare not bottom head
    a hi-hat made out of a bit of wood, with a foot plate made of wood (spring loaded) and bottle tops nailed into it,

then my dad finally bought me a kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
    I was in kindergarten when i first hit on a drum set. It was my friends older brothers bands drum kit, it thought it was the coolest thing EVER. In second grade i started taking piano lessons, and took them on and off until 6th grade. In music class for elementary i played in the advanced goup because i knew how to read music very well. In fifth grade i started playing the trumpet(along with piano) i played for about a year, and was mooved to the advance concert band (yet again because of being good at reading music) In sixth grade i quit music almost completely because i had made the football team (mvp 6th and 7th grade!) Then in eight grade my family moved to colorado, and my aunt uncle and two cousins moved too. we all live in the same house, my cousins both played guitar, and because of how much music was around me, i pushed and pushed for a drumkit, and on my 14th birthday my parents took me to breakfast, and we went into the music store to buy my brothers christmas present, when my mom asked me what color i liked on the drums , i told her silver, and then she ignored it, we were walking out of the store and she turned to me and asked if i needed help carrying my new drumkit. i wish i could have seen my face, i nearly cried because for years and years we could not afford anything like this and my parents used their new found freedom to buy me my first kit.

Three years later i still thank my parents whenever i think about how happy i am to be playing such an incredible instrument.
    I like stories like that Zeta. Thanks for sharing it!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

When I had the manditory middle school band class I chose drums and it turned out to be snare only and while all the other kids got the same steel pearl snare my family couldn't aford it so she found me a used silver metalflake ludwig marching snare with a knee brace and shoulder strap and I swear it was a foot and a half deep. The knee brace went pass my knee while everyone had stands. I was so embaressed but my band teacher kept talking like it was the greatest ever, probably was but I still managed to conveniently forget it everyday. I never touched a drum again until I got really bored three years ago and needed a hobby now drumming and recording is an obsession.

I bet that snare would've made some interesting sounds with my set wish I still had it
    Last edited by Cant Get Enough; 09-07-2008 at 12:40 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Cant Get Enough View Post
    I never touched a drum again until I got really bored three years ago and needed a hobby now drumming and recording is an obsession.
    Isn't it funny how fast it can become an obsession?

User Info Menu

my parents have this picture of me up on there bed room wall ware im in a diper holding a book like im reading it, turns out the book is "stick control" but i didn't start as a drummer so much, my sis and i would beat on pots and pans all the time, but i wanted the spotlight, so i took up guitar my parents bought me a $10 acoustic guitar and some lessons, i went in wanting to learn sticks, but they thought me the c major scale, so i hated practicing what my teacher told me to, (we really need to work on these lesson things) so i started a rock band, it was me playing my guitar, singing, and drumming out rhythms between strums on my guitars body, my one and only song went "cow chow DA dun DA dundadun, you are cow chow" guitar solo consisting of only the e string and just randomly select frets to play it on. (i was five ok) well i played consistently untill jr. high, got pretty good too i could play black magic woman, come sail away, and black dog, fairly well and performed with my churches worship group every Sunday on rhythm guitar. well i was failing all my classes so my mom try ed a new tactic, "if you get nothing below a c ill get you an amp" i got all A's and no amp. so i backed off on the guitar and on schooling, for Christmas i asked for an electric guitar, amp, and distortion pedal, i got an acoustic electric guitar that my youth pastor gave my parents for free, i got pissed and stopped playing the guitar, five years later, after the taping diseas that started with me as a little boy reading stick control a friend says after seeing me drumming on my legs hey come play drums for my band ill give you a set, i said ok, an hour later i was obsessed, and it renewed my passion for music, I've learned to play the guitar ok again, i don't care if im ever as good as i was years ago, its not my passion, but I've started to learn bass, and keyboard, there both way fun, but drums are so much better, looking back on my life its obvious from the beginning i would become a musician. i just lost my path.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

great story!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

hmm great thread, great stories peeps, keep em coming, I would sit in on my dads bands kit at every opportunity I got. I also have a great pic of my daughter at 2 years old in a diaper on my knee at the kit. oh sweet memories.
    My dad recently gave me a copy of old home cine camera movies which he had converted to dvd format for a xmas present, wowsa!! watching his old band and our family hols from when I was knee high. That was tuff to not tear up viewing that, I can tell ya. I hadn't seen my folks for a few years as they still live in the uk.
    all the best Rat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Ethel_The_Frog View Post
    I developed that disease of beating out rhythms everywhere I went. So it was only a matter of time.
    I got that one too :P
    crazydrummer: Metal sounds like someone is rampaging through a pig pen with a machine gun....

Shazane: They are firing that machine gun at a perfect 380 BPM in 7/8, while the agonized screams of the pigs are flawlessly harmonizing arpeggios at 20 notes per second.

MetalManMonkey:

User Info Menu

I cut up cheeze buckets and put plastic over the top of them when I was 10, they needed alot of up keep. the first kit I played on was a pearl export at 14 years old and I thought I was it!!. My first kit was a dirty Peice, but it got me by. Now I got a Sonor 2007 birch. Life is sweet, and I get payed now to hit the **** outa them!!!