Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: what do u think of GIRL drummers?

User Info Menu

Default Re: what do u think of GIRL drummers?

My apologies RD, because I did indeed forget your Marine Corp. background. Semper Fi, my friend!

While I agree with you completely about where girls end up, I would submit that it has as much to do with society, as it does with genetics. Not all women fit the mold of "big and hulking," but even if they do the opportunities, and the inclination just might not be there. Similarly, for the males that are not as . . . "robust," the opportunities that they might might prefer carry a stigma, or they just might not be inclined to think of doing certain things because of societal conditioning. All the while, I will certainly acknowledge that this is a conversation that could be quite lengthy, and enjoyable.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

the drummer for kid rock

Stefanie Eulinberg

User Info Menu

girl drummers are fun to watch.....sometimes.......heehheahaheahaeha.....so rry had to throw that in.......seriously....Avril Lavigne is a decent drummer......along with another woman.......mmmmm cant think of her name, she plays DW drums....saw her on a DW dvd......overall i think they are pretty gooood...
    My Kit - Mapex Saturn 6 Pc., Iron Cobra Double Pedal, 14 Sabian HHX Evolution HH, 20 Avedis Ping Ride, Zildjian 16 Vintage Crash, Zildjian K 17 Thin Dry Crash, Sabian HHX Evolution 16 Crash, Evans Heads, Sennheiser Mikes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dayydrum View Post
    how do you feel about GIRL drummers........

Oh , and welcome to the forum.........

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    The teenager has no interest. For her it's all about soccer.
    I'm on varsity soccer and play drums. Hook a brutha up.

User Info Menu

Chicks Rule !

User Info Menu

Dont forget Karen Carpinter as discussed on DC before. Oh and didn't Motley Crue have a girl drummer for a while???
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Not bad for an 14 year old...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QpoZQHUychU
    Last edited by reboundjunkie; 09-08-2008 at 04:02 PM. Reason: typo

User Info Menu

Cool Re: what do u think of GIRL drummers?

They're Better Lookin Than My West Coast Brudder"SWD"?
    Can Dey Tap Dance Tho?
    And They Can Play Drums Too?
    Hubba Hubba!!!!!!!
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by crazydrummer View Post
    girl drummers are fun to watch.....sometimes.......heehheahaheahaeha.....so rry had to throw that in.......seriously....Avril Lavigne is a decent drummer......along with another woman.......mmmmm cant think of her name, she plays DW drums....saw her on a DW dvd......overall i think they are pretty gooood...
    Are talking about Sheila E? She is an incrediable drummer and really fun to look at too!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post
    Dont forget Karen Carpinter as discussed on DC before. Oh and didn't Motley Crue have a girl drummer for a while???
    Samantha Maloney.

I have no issue at all with girl drummers. Girls want to rock too just like us boys do.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by dayydrum View Post
    Not a bad job of Toto's Rosanna I'd say !

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OF8-X...eature=related
    Gary

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    My apologies RD, because I did indeed forget your Marine Corp. background. Semper Fi, my friend!

While I agree with you completely about where girls end up, I would submit that it has as much to do with society, as it does with genetics. Not all women fit the mold of "big and hulking," but even if they do the opportunities, and the inclination just might not be there. Similarly, for the males that are not as . . . "robust," the opportunities that they might might prefer carry a stigma, or they just might not be inclined to think of doing certain things because of societal conditioning. All the while, I will certainly acknowledge that this is a conversation that could be quite lengthy, and enjoyable.

Yeah, I think that of the parents out there who are willing to push their talented kids to achieve great things in music, and are willing to put out for quality instruments, lessons, and carting them around, more of them are more often interested in classical music than pop, rock, jazz, etc., although there are some jazz parents who are very supportive. As a society, I think percussion and drumming are viewed to be on the macho end of music and more guys are drawn to them. At the same time, in my limited experience, I've seen music teachers go way out of their way to welcome girls to drumming. There's definately opportunity for girl drummers at the high school/college level.

As to what sex is better suited for drums (if that was the question), I'd say neither. However, from what I see in my limited experience, there are more girls who need to be more aggressive and tap into their inner anger, while more boys need to spend more time accompanying a harp or bassoon. Too many girls play whimpy, too many boys are beaters (IMO).

I still think women make crappy pro football players, though.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 09-08-2008 at 08:45 PM.

User Info Menu

i just see them as drummers, the only difference is ill try and leave with a chick drummers phone number. there are things that draw boys more to drums than girls, just like boys to fighting, its a testosterone driven activity when done certain ways (all though that is beating) mostly its just marketing, and societal marketing, marketing agency's learned long ago what natural hormones produced by the human body make who feel good, and how to manipulate them, flowers increase estrogen production witch makes most women feel good, thus most women like flowers, physical activity's that are hard on the body produce major levels of testosterone, that makes men feel good, weight lifters call it the "pump" things like bench pressing 200 pounds will flood the body with what we call adrenalin witch is a combination of testosterone, dopamine and a number of other hormones that are used in pain killers etc. that are produced by our body. men are far more sensitive to testosterone than women and thus we like testosterone driven activity's more: football, boxing, rugby, weight lifting, etc. women often are fonder to activity's producing less adrenaline such as gymnastics, volley ball, running, etc. there are exceptions to everything (except for the rule of exceptions interesting paradox if i might add). one of the highest amounts of adrenaline possible to achieve in the human body at one time, larger than skydiving, falling into an active volcano and surviving, budgie jumping, or just about any activity known to man, is performing on stage in front of large amounts of people, thus it is pursued by males actively.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I have run across many excellent female drummers.
    Check out You Tube, and type in "Dale Anne Brendon". She's a friend of mine, used to play for the band I now play with. She's an endorser of Sonor/sabian/ and promark, plays world wide, and amazingly good!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post
    i just see them as drummers, the only difference is ill try and leave with a chick drummers phone number. there are things that draw boys more to drums than girls, just like boys to fighting, its a testosterone driven activity when done certain ways (all though that is beating) mostly its just marketing, and societal marketing, marketing agency's learned long ago what natural hormones produced by the human body make who feel good, and how to manipulate them, flowers increase estrogen production witch makes most women feel good, thus most women like flowers, physical activity's that are hard on the body produce major levels of testosterone, that makes men feel good, weight lifters call it the "pump" things like bench pressing 200 pounds will flood the body with what we call adrenalin witch is a combination of testosterone, dopamine and a number of other hormones that are used in pain killers etc. that are produced by our body. men are far more sensitive to testosterone than women and thus we like testosterone driven activity's more: football, boxing, rugby, weight lifting, etc. women often are fonder to activity's producing less adrenaline such as gymnastics, volley ball, running, etc. there are exceptions to everything (except for the rule of exceptions interesting paradox if i might add). one of the highest amounts of adrenaline possible to achieve in the human body at one time, larger than skydiving, falling into an active volcano and surviving, budgie jumping, or just about any activity known to man, is performing on stage in front of large amounts of people, thus it is pursued by males actively.
    Hey dd, this is a well thought out and intelligent post (well, moreso than the usual replies of "I LIKE GIRLS COS THEY'RE HOT, HUR HUR" posted throughout the thread (of which I am guilty, I must admit)). Really, it's an insight.

From my perspective, though, technique and science and progress can all go in the bin and be replaced by art and passion and liberation; I don't play drums to make myself seem like a macho man, because I reject that kind of lifestyle, and I feel that instead of playing because I can, I try to play for a statement...whilst I'm not a devotee of his work, one of my favourite drummers is Keith Moon, because he pioneered a drum style I try to follow; one of utter chaos, madness, throwing all previous hesitation to the wind, almost stupid in it's style; and yet, it's so artistic and such a great statement, that you can't stop and say "it doesn't work". It does, and we don't see him as a drummer, but as an artist, a person, making an expression.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

love em. including DC.... hehehehe

User Info Menu

Oooooooooooh girl bam bams, there are not enough of them and the ones that I have seen put me to shame! More power to them!! Hitem hard!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Greenmonster206 View Post
    Nothing is hotter than a chick ripping it up on a drumkit. Oh yeah!
    AMEN BROTHA!!!!!
    Impossible is nothing, and nothing is impossible.DD

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummerdavie View Post

I think my brain just exploded.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post

I think my brain just exploded.
    boom booms make women feel good
    men feel better
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

i once had a girl friend drummer

we even combined our kits

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    i once had a girl friend drummer

we even combined our kits
    LOL!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    Yeah, I was just watching a girl play professional football, middle linebacker.
    Wasn't I fantastic! I wasn't sure you caught that..........

User Info Menu

I like girls drummers, I think they're neat