Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Which would make a better drum amp?

User Info Menu

Default Which would make a better drum amp?

I tried to post this earlier but must be having issues. Would a Roland keyboard amp (KC-550) or a Roland drum amp (PM-30) be better? They are about the same price (keybaord is a little cheaper) but the KC-550 has more power. I mostly play at home or at small parties, thanks.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Which would make a better drum amp?

Quote Originally Posted by ehc0720 View Post
    I tried to post this earlier but must be having issues. Would a Roland keyboard amp (KC-550) or a Roland drum amp (PM-30) be better? They are about the same price (keybaord is a little cheaper) but the KC-550 has more power. I mostly play at home or at small parties, thanks.
    I'd go with the Pm-30, because it is designed for drums. Or Do as i did and buy a slightly used bass amp. It works great because it gives you the thump of a real kit, but its cheaper when used.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

How does that bass amp work with the cymbals and snare?

User Info Menu

Don't mean to step on any toes but, IMHO Bass amps are not good for drums they don't cover the whole spectrum. They are for bass. I had a pm30 and did not like it at all the only thing it is good for is playing at very low volumes at home it is not even good enough for monitoring a small gig. The small speakers will blow out quickly. If you just want something cheap go for a key board amp. I have a crate KXB100 key board amp and it is OK for a monitor. I have not tried one but really want to and have heard good things about the B-52 matrix speaker systems. There is one for around $800 and then the one I want is $1500 both have 2 cabinets and a sub all powered they can be used on floor or on stands check em out ! Also JBL, EV,mackie ect have powered speakers get the 15" or larger speakers if you can. Lets us know what you get.

User Info Menu

I've got a Fender KB-100 that works great for drum sounds, Keyboard amps are designed to cover the entire frequency range, and if the keyboard amp you're looking at has more power than the drum specific amp for the same money (or close to the same), I would go with the Keyboard amp.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Which would make a better drum amp?

Bass Amps Are Great For Da Thump But A Keyboarde Amp Covers Da Whole Spectrum Like Church Said,,, If Ya Can Pick Up Da Rolnd Drum Amp Cheaper I Would Go There Only Cuz Thats Its Purpose But Keyboard Amp In General Is Cheaper.....
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

I got a peavy kb4 75 watt keyboard amp and blew the tweeter already. so I stepped up to a powered 550 watt 12" and horn and a separate 200 watt powered sub. yummy. for foh even small parties a 75-100 watt keyboard amp is not really up to it. imho.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    I got a peavy kb4 75 watt keyboard amp and blew the tweeter already. so I stepped up to a powered 550 watt 12" and horn and a separate 200 watt powered sub. yummy. for foh even small parties a 75-100 watt keyboard amp is not really up to it. imho.
    I would agree with Ratmycue regarding playing gigs 75 to 100 Watts on it's own probably wouldn't be enough, but keep in mind if you are playing with a band, you probably will have a PA system that you can line out your amp to. Then your amp becomes more of a stage monitor for the band the PA system puts the sound out to the room. I've played gigs with a 15 Watt guitar amp miked into a PA system.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.

User Info Menu

I found a 1200 watt powered mixer by Behringer and also some speakers made by them that have 15" main that are exactly 600 watts each. It's about $800.00 for the set up.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the feedback guys, I think I'll look for a 200 + watt keyboard amp, mayber the roland kc-550 (180 watts I think).

User Info Menu

Post Simmons DA200S drum amp

Hey...you might consider this. It is 200 watts for $300.00 and designed for electronic drums.
    Attached Images Attached Images

User Info Menu

This DA200S doesn't look to bad on paper, anybody have any experience with it or know how it compares to other amps? On paper it is about equivalent to the Roland PM30 which is more than twice the price.

User Info Menu

I called the Carvin company and actually got a guy who plays e-drums, this is the amp he recommended @ $429. https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...oduct=LSX1502A

User Info Menu

That carvin has some impressive specs, plenty of power, good protection on a nice size horn, nice frequency range too. looks impressive.

User Info Menu

Well whatever you do, look into used amps, because you can usually get more power for cheaper that way. unless you find a really good deal.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I bought my top and sub used from a sound rental company in d city, works perfect and considerable cash savings. the keyboard amp I bought new and I blew the tweater!! $12 and 4 screws later and the new tweater is installed.
    not too sure where you are located but if you buy used make sure the equipment can be repaired easily. I bought Yorkville, the factory is in toronto and the elite series are solid, reliable and sound fantastic.

User Info Menu

obviously a dum amp ould be better but i use an acoustic guitar amp. it gets a good snare and bass sound along with the toms, the only problem is that the cymblas sound pretty naf, but thts only for practice anyway

User Info Menu

I use a Peavey KB-5. It's awkward and HEAVY, but it sounds better (and is louder) than any amp I've tried with my V-Drums.

• 1966 4-piece Ludwig Black Oyster Pearl
    • 2000 8-piece DW Collector's Grey Swirl
    • 2002 8-piece Pearl Masterworks GB Packer Gold
    • 2008 8-piece Tama B&B Lava Glass Glitter
    • Paiste Signature 12, 14, 14, 16, 16, 17, 18, 18, 20, 20, 22
    • Paiste Formula 602 14, 14, 16, 18, 20

User Info Menu

think thats the 100 watt amp scooter, I got the 75 watt kb4 , if ya drive another 8ohm speaker off it, you get the 100 watt output,

User Info Menu

My amp is 150 watt, i set up my e-kit (after moving) just the other day and got it to sound real good, just the cymbals , but they sound pretty good
    -Steven

User Info Menu

How loud are you planning on playing? The Kc550 and the pm30 have simular watts however, the PM30 is distributed between 3 speakers. The sub tends to distort once you get to about half way up especially on some of the deeper roland kits. The kc550 is decent (yes, I've tried both) but lack the bottom end and you sort of lose the "surround sound" effect you get with the pm30.

User Info Menu

This DA200S doesn't look to bad on paper, anybody have any experience with it or know how it compares to other amps? On paper it is about equivalent to the Roland PM30 which is more than twice the price.
    I played it in a GC and it sounded nice. I'm looking at a used bass amp though, simply because of economics. It's a Peavy TKO with a 15" speaker.
    The smaller 10" speakers break up the highs, like cymbals and such, even on "drum amps".
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I've been using a Roland PM-3 for about three years now for home playing. I purchased a Simmons DA200S with the intent of using two for a stereo affect, but it didn't work out. The DA200S wasn't bad, but it didn't have the punch of the Roland PM-3, plus it arrived with a defective speaker and I returned it for a refund.

If I had it to do all over again and required more punch on stage, I would probably go with the Roland KC-550 keyboard amp (or perhaps two of them)

User Info Menu

Since I started this post I guess I should report what I ended up with, I went with this Carvin, light weight and sounds great, 350w for $379. https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...?product=LM15A

User Info Menu

Since I started this post I guess I should report what I ended up with, I went with this Carvin, light weight and sounds great, 350w for $379. https://www.carvinguitars.com/produc...?product=LM15A
    Glad u like, enjoy it bud.

Official cowbell hater.