Thread: Heads/Tuning

User Info Menu

Default Heads/Tuning

I've got a 7 piece Maple Yamaha Stage Custom Standard. I've had this kit for a few years now and have never quite found a sound with it which i like. I've been trying different ways to tune my drums since I've gotten the kit, but repeatedly tuning every single drum a specific way is incredibly time consuming and doesn't allow easy experimentation.
    I'm basically writing this to ask if anyone has any suggestions about how i should tune my kit and which heads would be best for me. I currently have stock Yamaha U2 BA heads, and have also tried evans g2 coated but i didn't like those, though i could have just tuned poorly. I realize my kit isn't of the highest quality, but proper maintenance can make a huge difference. I also use zero rings which are better than nothing, but often fall off or get creased, causing them to buzz, so i might pick up some moongels in the near future.
    I play many varieties of music, but tend to favor harder genres of rock. I'm truly not sure exactly what sound I'm looking for, but i like to play fast, so i prefer little resonance so that each hit has sharp tone and is distinguished from the others. Overall i would say i prefer a light clean sound rather than something deep and rumbling.
    I'm done blabbing now, and i hope what i said might help someone help me. thanks for the help, and even if you cannot offer any suggestions, thanks for reading

User Info Menu

Default Re: Heads/Tuning

for that clean puncy sound go for Aquarian Super 2 heads
    best bet for tuning take it to a prefessinal and pay them to do it and watch very closely
    you will be amazed in the sound
    MY KIT
    LUDWIG CLASSIC MAPLE SALESMAN
    13, hanging toms,16 ,18 floor toms,24 Kick, 14x5.5 snare,
    CYMBALS
    Paiste 2002 ,22 big beat , 18 med , 18 crash , 16 crash , 18 china , 14 sound edge hats

User Info Menu

thanks for the first reply.

i played my friend's kit the other day and I believe he had that exact head on his bass drum and it was great.

still looking for input if anyone cares to do so :-)

User Info Menu

Hi Limzz, yo need to experiment with different heads. THis means you might have to spend a little bit of cash overtime to work out what head suits you. This wont happen overnight though. You also need to experiment with the tuning of the drums. So it is not overwhelming, try working on one drum for now ie your 10 inch or snare. Take your time, tweek the head, loosen it off, dont forget about tuning your reso head too. Look up tuning vids on you tube, they help alot.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Smile Re: Heads/Tuning

I tried g1 for resonant and g2 for batter and loved the sound.

I think I'm going to try REMO ambassador for res. and pinstripe for batter when I get my next acoustic set.

Mainly I've found better sound with a heavier medium weight single ply resonant head rather than the typical thin ones.

Maybe try g1 or ambassador for resonant and batter heads??

There is also the Fiberskyn heads which could help produce the sound you need.

Hope you find what you're looking for!

take care man

User Info Menu

Coated Ambassador over clear Ambassador.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Coated Ambassador over clear Ambassador.
    That's a good combo.

Also put clear pins over clear resos.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I just got a drum 14 x 14 hanging floor tom. It came with a aquarian studio x head on it. I played it with my existing setup...10, 12, 13, 16 toms with coated ambassators w/ clear ambassator reso. I would play a fill and it would sound like the 14 had a cardboard head on it. I tried to tune it, but it sounded like poo. I went and bought the said heads for it, tuned it, and got a great sound out of it. I'm going to try pinstripes for the next set of heads, but I love the sound I have now

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    That's a good combo.

Also put clear pins over clear resos.

Hey Bish!! Buenos Dias!

What do you think about Clear Emperors over Clear Ambassadors?

Pura Vida!
    Believe in yourself.....and you shall have no limits.

The Love of My Life??
    - DW PDP FS Natural/Charcoal Fade-4 Piece
    - Tama Metalworks Steel Snare 13'' x 6.5''
    - Zildjian K Custom 13.25" Hybrid Hi-Hats
    - Zildjian K Custom 16" Dark Crash
    - Zildjian K Custom 18'' Dark Crash
    - Zildjian K Custom 20" Dry Ride

User Info Menu

I got the same kit... its neaveau though, yours too?.... I use coated ambassadors on top and stock yamahas on the bottom... They give reasonable resonance if thats what you want and i love the sound... cant wait to get clear ambassadors for the reso heads...

Larrysperf Guest

I like EC2 on top Clear Ambassorors on bottom. But you have to find what you like.

User Info Menu

evan's hydraulics are so easy to tune its scary

Larrysperf Guest

Ditto

User Info Menu

My recommendation is Remo clear emperors and diplomat reso heads. But to each their own. You will spend a fortune trying to take all our suggestions.

Larrysperf Guest

Evans web site has a lot on tuning with that Bob guy lol

User Info Menu

G2's, Pin Stripes Aquarian super force are double ply heads. They are less resonant and are best suited by players who have the power and stamina to play hard rock all night long. They are not good, however, for the light touch playing you expressed. For that purpose, coated Ambassador batter with clear Diplomat reso is awesome. You will get a full sound from your drums and can easily dampen with Moon Gel if needed. Both heads are single ply with the Ambassador being slightly heavier as the batter should be. You may also consider a clear Ambassador if you want the fullest and clearest sound. If I were'nt playing big band jazz and use brushes as often as I do, I would have gone with clear heads instead of coated.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

i dont know much about heads, but i know Remo ebony pinstripes have that low, metal sound. but as for me, tuning, i start with either the snare off, or the lowest floor tom, then go from there. after i have everything, its time for the bass drum.

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

The subject of tuning drum heads is very interesting because there are so many varying opinions. which leads all of us to one simple conclusion: We tune to what we like to hear. I'm going to toss a curve ball in here about which drum to tune first and foremost. I spent many years as a high school band director and won many competitions with marching band, jazz band and concert bands. The music was great for each band and it was always thrilling for me and the kids. One young band director asked me after listening to a concert band I directed how it was that I got such beautiful intonation (tuning) out of my band. I told him that it was one of those "Ancient Chinese Secrets." What I told him blew him away...I tune the band to the Basses (Tubas). They are the fundamental pitch of the chord. If they are out of tune, very easy to do, then the band is out of tune, regardless. So, as I learnd that secret I was happy to pass it on. When I tune my drums, it is the bass drum that receives the most attention. Of course, I'm going to play helter - skelter over all the drums and cymbals but it is that lowly bass drum that is going to keep everything together with that low and, in tune, fundamental sound. Call it the "Thump", "Booomph" whatever you wish but the rest of the drums will not sound as you want them to until that bass fundamental is set. Think about all those drummers you have listened to and admired for all their skill. Then think about how you were drawn to them by their mesmerizing bass drum. In jazz band, there is a saying that the Bass should be "Felt" more than heard. The same is true for all styles of music...the bass should be "felt" more than anything else. The next time you sit behind your drums, think about whether you like the sound of your bass drum in relation to your other drums. Tune that bass first to the pitch and emphasis that dictates your playing THEN tune the toms and snare to fill out the rest of your scale.

User Info Menu

But Frank, I've heard many a good sounding bass drum on a kit where the rest of the drums sounded like crap. Also, most rock drummers don't tune their drums to notes, largely in part to the fact that they aren't familiar with harmonic theory. That said, I would agree that when the bass doesn't sound good, whether on a kit or in a band, the music sounds very thin.

With regard to the bass drum being felt and not heard, I would disagree with that assessment as it relates to styles other than traditional jazz or big band. I used to play in a lot of Rock and R&B bands and the bass drum is always out in front, largely due to the fact that it helps drive the dancing.

User Info Menu

I agree, Tom and that's because many drummers do not take the time to learn how to tune their drums in the first place. It takes a bit of patience to tune by "Ear" but is so effective when we learn how to do that. Also, you are right about the bass drum with rock and R&B drumming...it is very present and driving. I spend to much of my time playing Jazz.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Heads/Tuning

Yey Frank!!!! Once Again Yer Experience As A "Complete Musician" From The Directors Point Of View Benefits Us All,,,,,So Simple Yet 'tis The Fundamential Element That Most Of Us Must Be Reminded Not Nessasarily Taught.
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    The subject of tuning drum heads is very interesting because there are so many varying opinions. which leads all of us to one simple conclusion: We tune to what we like to hear. I'm going to toss a curve ball in here about which drum to tune first and foremost. I spent many years as a high school band director and won many competitions with marching band, jazz band and concert bands. The music was great for each band and it was always thrilling for me and the kids. One young band director asked me after listening to a concert band I directed how it was that I got such beautiful intonation (tuning) out of my band. I told him that it was one of those "Ancient Chinese Secrets." What I told him blew him away...I tune the band to the Basses (Tubas). They are the fundamental pitch of the chord. If they are out of tune, very easy to do, then the band is out of tune, regardless. So, as I learnd that secret I was happy to pass it on. When I tune my drums, it is the bass drum that receives the most attention. Of course, I'm going to play helter - skelter over all the drums and cymbals but it is that lowly bass drum that is going to keep everything together with that low and, in tune, fundamental sound. Call it the "Thump", "Booomph" whatever you wish but the rest of the drums will not sound as you want them to until that bass fundamental is set. Think about all those drummers you have listened to and admired for all their skill. Then think about how you were drawn to them by their mesmerizing bass drum. In jazz band, there is a saying that the Bass should be "Felt" more than heard. The same is true for all styles of music...the bass should be "felt" more than anything else. The next time you sit behind your drums, think about whether you like the sound of your bass drum in relation to your other drums. Tune that bass first to the pitch and emphasis that dictates your playing THEN tune the toms and snare to fill out the rest of your scale.
    Ditto