Thread: Any tips

User Info Menu

Thumbs up Any tips

Ha guys,#

I've been playing now for about 2 years now and i need some new stuff to learn. Could anyone give me some grooves.

Cheers
    The Guy On A Mission

User Info Menu

http://www.drumbum.comCheck out drumbum's lesson database. You will be amazed. Welcome to drumchat.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jackdrums
    http://www.drumbum.comCheck out drumbum's lesson database. You will be amazed. Welcome to drumchat.

thnx
    The Guy On A Mission

User Info Menu

Cool Any tips?

Hey, Slice and Dice! Welcome aboard!

What kind of music do you play? I'm sure some of our buddies will give you other ideas, although jackdrums' suggestion about the database will point you the right way!

Later on, mate...and
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bongobro
    Hey, Slice and Dice! Welcome aboard!

What kind of music do you play? I'm sure some of our buddies will give you other ideas, although jackdrums' suggestion about the database will point you the right way!

Later on, mate...and

Thnx i play mostly rock
    The Guy On A Mission

User Info Menu

new age or old 60's stuff?
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

wow hes right at my experice level...you taken lessons?..if not start mastering every rudiment.....thats my #1 right now...
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Chiko
    wow hes right at my experice level...you taken lessons?..if not start mastering every rudiment.....thats my #1 right now...

im taking lessons right now at my school, after all, im only in year 8 ( i'm 12)
    The Guy On A Mission

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 13drummer
    new age or old 60's stuff?

both, all you guys are really helpful. thanks a bunch really
    The Guy On A Mission

User Info Menu

For new age stuff, listen to Breaking Benjamin's new album Phobia.
    Their drummer made some amazing beats and fills in the album. They've really helped me alot.
    "Music is always an experiment."

User Info Menu

It all depends how long you've been playing,what you're playing,and if your self tuaght or not
    GOD + Me= Awsome Drummer!

User Info Menu

try to learn the moller technuiqe and master double pedal[if you have one ]

User Info Menu

i find lessons limiting, self taught , you can't explore different technuiqes,grooves ,styles,etc..

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Metal forever
    i find lessons limiting, self taught , you can't explore different technuiqes,grooves ,styles,etc..
    Lessons are limiting on purpose. They utilize discipline so that you can stay focused and learn the particular exercise fluently. There is always free time in and around formal lessons to create on your own.

User Info Menu

well discipline is key, you only learn what they teach you, like for instance, lets just say you take'em to get your juices flowing, if your technuiqe is right and all that stuff, they always, no matter what level[almost], strat you from from the begining even though you've already mastered the stuff yourself. get what i'm saying or no?

User Info Menu

Metal, that's a generalized statement that I would disagree with. Not all teachers start students at the beginning. I taught for many years and I would start a student where they needed to be started. If they had the fundamentals down, I would start them with more challenging things. I also tried to mix it up to keep it interesting for the student.

That said, some students think they're better than what they are when they come into lessons. They underestimate the knowledge and experience of the teacher and they don't trust the teacher to guide them appropriately. I had many students that thought they were good but they had many flaws. One of the biggest was not being able to play double stroke rolls properly. It takes awhile to get this down and some students didn't have the patience to work on it (the basics) to acquire a clean roll. I came to learn that "discipline" was one of the major stumbling blocks for many students. They wanted to play a complicated, fast 32nd note fill around the drums like I did, but when they realized it meant starting from the beginning to clean up their double stroke or spending hours speeding up their singles, they didn't want to put the time in.