Thread: double bass drumming and balance

User Info Menu

Default double bass drumming and balance

Help!!!! After over thirty years of banging on the drums in a fairly conventional manner I have decided for some insane reason that I just have to learn to play double kick. Over thirty years of using my left foot as a kick stand is giving me much grief in this new learning process. My problems are numerous, but, most noteworthy is my seeming inability to establish balance of my body. When I try anything in even a moderate tempo I feel like I'm going to fall backwards off of my pedals and throne. Any tips, advice, insults, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

User Info Menu

Default Re: double bass drumming and balance

lean forward a little bit while playing, so you can maintain your balance using your hips and not your legs

User Info Menu

Try sitting with the back of your legs hanging over the throne. Just keep your tailbone on it. That will free your legs up. Like coke can said, leaning forward will help too. I have a bad back and I play with a back on my throne. That helped me a lot.
    "The kiosk in my temporal lobe is shaped like Rosalynn Carter."

http://www.facebook.com/robert.romeo
    Noble & Cooley Drums
    Sabian Cymbals
    Evans Heads
    DW Pedals and Hardware

User Info Menu

also try a lower sitting.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

placement of the pedals can be a factor. when i use dbl pedals i use an offset config so i set up the pedals just like i would if i had 2 drums, with my pedals and throne in a perfect triangle with the snare right in the midle between my legs. this has your kick drum pointing at an angle to your right, but you are still straight inline with your toms. if i set a standard 5pc kit up sitting straight on (kick facing straight forward and toms over the kick) like when i play single pedal and THEN put the pedal on... i cant achieve the triange i need for perfect balance. it puts the left pedal farther back than the right and my hi hat too far to the left.

i only have a couple pics of the offset config, but maybe you can see what i mean....

User Info Menu

sorry bout the crazy cymbal angles, i had not finalized the setup when those were taken

User Info Menu

I actually tried what Rob and Coke Can said while practicing last evening. Although I have miles to go in general, I must admit that I could feel a greater sense of control and balance. My body was still trying to shift left and back. My right foot in particular tries to creep to the left of the pedal and I find myself continually readjusting to keep it in the center of the pedal. Perhaps the "triangle" setup mentioned will help on this issue. I do have a decent triangle between left and right foot with the snare in the middle, but, the right pedal is aligned stright ahead with the toms and the left is basically at a 45 degree angle from this. I may try shifting the right pedal to the right and the left pedal also to the right, keeping the angle but changing the orientation slightly. Thanks a ton for all the comments.

andy

User Info Menu

Funky, I was wondering why you shifted the kit to the right, instead of simply facing your body more to the left?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

so that i can sit foward towards the audience. i really only angle the kick outwards everything else is straight on.

User Info Menu

here are a couple examples. one pic is offset config, the other is standard 2 rack tom dbl bass config. pretty much the same thing if you take away the left kick. so if you look at the dbl bass setup from straight ahead, the kicks are angled out and you are looking straight on with the toms. it just makes it all symetrical and balanced for me.

User Info Menu

Makes sense. I sure that it was about sitting facing forward, but I thought I would ask in case there was some other reason. Thanks.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

User Info Menu

sit on the edge of ur seat and adjust the height of your throne.
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

I don't play double pedal but I have used what Funky describes above for quite some time. I tend to angle my bass drum more to the right so that my foot sits on the pedal in a natural position. My hi-hat has the swivel bass and that has been fantastic to use. Now, I can sit facing forward with the snare between my legs and not feel any cramping or tightening in either leg. I didn't want to do this at first because I have the mental image of how the kit should be set for best visual appeal. In the end, however, I decided that it really doesn't matter as long as I am comfortable and can play without hurting or fatiguing myself.

User Info Menu

Since going to some stores and getting different ideas for set ups, I found that the configuration that Frank mentioned to be the most comfortable position for me. I realised I was sitting front on with all toms and bass drum straight. Now, I have moved my snare to the left and inwards and I have moved around to the right so that I am slightly off center. My right foot on the bass has never felt as comfortable. I also have easier access to my 12 inch tom I must add which I used to have to reach out too.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

I found exactly the same when i started to learn double kick, you feel unbalanced like your going to fall over. Just persist, maybe even dont play on the hi hat and just work on double kick for a while and you will eventually feel more comfortable. Take it slowly and work up.

User Info Menu

I agree with leaning forward a tad and setting up like funky suggested. Another way to look at it is start setting up by placing your throne first. Instead of seeing everything as a square grid, look at it as everything stemming radially from your throne at the center. Place your snare directly in front of you so that it's also centered and then your right and left pedals equally on either side of your snare with the center line of your pedals pointing through the center of your throne. Set everything else where you want it.
    "Life is backwards. Happiness isn't something you seek, it's something that finds you when you are doing the right thing." - Zone47

User Info Menu

hey rolanddtd i am 13 and have been playing with double bass for 3 years and i sit on the front of my throne and put it back more it should help you not fall and it might help you get better at double bass easier good luck

User Info Menu

Don't feel as if you took up the double pedal too late in your career. I've been behind kits for more than 47 years and decided four months ago that I was going to learn the double pedal. My left foot is being ignorant.

Dennis

User Info Menu

I have recently decided to give the double pedal a try too, and I have an ignorant left foot as well Audiotech.

User Info Menu

I had the same feeling of being unbalanced when I first tried a double bass pedal. I also have a bad back so I bought a throne with a adjustable back rest to help. I lean foward slightly when I play and adjusted the back rest to support me. I also wear a back support to help. It keeps my upper torso erect so there's no cramping or pain. I also developed a system of playing heel up on the left foot, and heel down on the right. I too had never played a double bass until well into my drumming, over 35 years until I tried and I love it!!!!. Adjustment the throne height, placement of the pedals also have alot to do with the flow once you start ripping off monster double bass licks. Good luck and stick with it. It will expand your playing, It's like having 4 arms!!!!!