Thread: tuning the "boing" out of the floor tom

User Info Menu

Default tuning the "boing" out of the floor tom

Hey guys.. anyone got any input on tuning the floor tom? I cant stop it from sounding like such: "Boing"
    could be the reso head no? just thought id float the thought before i try to fix the problem...

User Info Menu

Default Re: tuning the "boing" out of the floor tom

Need to know the size of the floor tom, what you're using for the batter and the reso and the shell composition. Will also want to know how you tend to tune both the batter and reso heads.

User Info Menu

...and how you're holding your mouth when you're tuning.

User Info Menu

HAHA....
    Its a 14" with coated Ambassadors on top and stock single ply on the bottom...

User Info Menu

Tune your reso slightly lower.

User Info Menu

Conventional wisdom says that you tune the reso tight and the batter about a 1/3 lower in pitch. Conventional wisdom also says this may not work for everybody. What I did with mine is to tune both heads to approx. same pitch and leave the reso head alone once tuned. I now raise or lower pitch of batter head as needed. I have a 16x16 floor tom and use Remo pinstripe as batter and stock as reso...both are coated. Even with the pinstripe, I still get more of that "Boing" than I care for. I used to use the O-ring but that proved a waste of time as the sticks always got tangled up with it. I now use Moon Gel and find that a single piece along the outer edge of the head works well. I now get the deep, full sound of a 16" floor tom with just enough resonance. Hope this helps.

Frank

PS: For Drummer...I hold my mouth tight as I tune
    Last edited by fiacovaz; 09-11-2008 at 05:49 PM.

User Info Menu

First, get out front of the kit with someone else playing to music to see if that 'boing' is noticeable out front. Those overtones may not be as loud as you think.

A 14" FT is going to be a little more boingy; it's the nature of the beast.

I had an 18" FT that was really boingy like that, and as much as I despise drum muffling of any kind, I finally took a 2" length of peel & stick weatherstripping and stuck it just off the center of the head by about 6".
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Conventional wisdom says that you tune the reso tight and the batter about a 1/3 lower in pitch. Conventional wisdom also says this may not work for everybody. What I did with mine is to tune both heads to approx. same pitch and leave the reso head alone once tuned. I now raise or lower pitch of batter head as needed. I have a 16x16 floor tom and use Remo pinstripe as batter and stock as reso...both are coated. Even with the pinstripe, I still get more of that "Boing" than I care for. I used to use the O-ring but that proved a waste of time as the sticks always got tangled up with it. I now use Moon Gel and find that a single piece along the outer edge of the head works well. I now get the deep, full sound of a 16" floor tom with just enough resonance. Hope this helps.

Frank

PS: For Drummer...I hold my mouth tight as I tune

Awesome i do the same, the static reso and the high/low floating batter... Iv managed to bring the boing, or pitch bend for you technical lot, down. I use rings for muffling but their kinda bent so rattle when hit. Looking to invest in moongel myself.. scary.. thanks for the insight!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    First, get out front of the kit with someone else playing to music to see if that 'boing' is noticeable out front. Those overtones may not be as loud as you think.

A 14" FT is going to be a little more boingy; it's the nature of the beast.

I had an 18" FT that was really boingy like that, and as much as I despise drum muffling of any kind, I finally took a 2" length of peel & stick weatherstripping and stuck it just off the center of the head by about 6".
    Thanks, good point about getting away to listen for the resonance, i can imagine the sound becoming more singular especially with other music playing... I need muffling coz iv been practicing in a big room with concrete floors and bare walls so it can get pretty noisy...

User Info Menu

have you tryed gaffing the res head

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by itchie View Post
    have you tryed gaffing the res head
    Haven't coz i have coated heads, not sure wat it'l do to them... Iv seen some drums with strip of cloth or some other material going between the head and the bearing edges below the lugs at 3 and 9 o clock... how does that work up on all the toms?

User Info Menu

Just another way of muffling the drum.

User Info Menu

coated on the bottom head?

User Info Menu

Its clear single ply on the reso side...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reboundjunkie View Post
    Its clear single ply on the reso side...
    the boing usually comes from the reso side of it, try messing with the tightness of the reso
    -Steven

User Info Menu

The boing or pitch bending is usually a result of the drum not being in tune with itself. Make sure there are no wrinkles in the heads by pressing with your index finger in the center of the head. If there is a wrinkle, just slightly tighten that particular tension rod till it's gone. Then tap about an inch away from each tension rod with your stick, don't use the drum key for tapping, and tune each rod until you get the same tone at each rod. Flip the drum over and do the same to the other head. I try to get the same fundamental tone at the reso and the batter head for best resonance.

There are many different ways to tune a drum, this works very well for me.

Dennis
    Last edited by audiotech; 09-18-2008 at 08:24 AM.

User Info Menu

Thanks Audio, will check it out... how do you guys normally space the bottom and top head in terms of pitch... Iv read somewhere that it is a good idea to space them a natural forth apart.. thats the first three note progression in here comes the bride.... anyone ever try that?

User Info Menu

So the boing you are describing is a pitch bend with the pitch going up at the end?

If so then your batter is probably a little too high in relation to the reso.
    Bringing the batter head a little lower in pitch than the reso will give you a nice pitch bend with the pitch going down, a nice deep, meaty sound. However, it's a lot easier to do with nice new heads; it gets hard to get that descending pitch modulation when your batter heads get even halfway worn out.

It seems kind of counterintuitive, but the first 'attack' note you hear right when you hit the drum is mostly determined by the tuning of the bottom head, and the pitch of the sustained sound is mostly set by the tuning of the batter head. But again, that's under perfect circumstances with fresh heads. Once the batter head gets really worn, the rules kinda go out the window and you just have to do whatever to get sound out of it!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by reboundjunkie View Post
    Thanks Audio, will check it out... how do you guys normally space the bottom and top head in terms of pitch... Iv read somewhere that it is a good idea to space them a natural forth apart.. thats the first three note progression in here comes the bride.... anyone ever try that?

The Interval of the 4th is a bit wide when tuned between heads on the same drum but, a Third is as bad but only if you insist on not keeping the batter and reso head with the same pitch. I used this principal of a 3rd untill I took the time to match pitches and keep them there. I found that when the drum shell is in tune with itself, it is so much sweeter. But, do not take this for Gospel...the ultimate factor is the individual playing the drums.

User Info Menu

Peach, that makes such good sense. Thanks for the insight!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post

The Interval of the 4th is a bit wide when tuned between heads on the same drum but, a Third is as bad but only if you insist on not keeping the batter and reso head with the same pitch. I used this principal of a 3rd untill I took the time to match pitches and keep them there. I found that when the drum shell is in tune with itself, it is so much sweeter. But, do not take this for Gospel...the ultimate factor is the individual playing the drums.
    \

Awesome insight... thanks man...
    It really works for me when i tune the heads to the tone of the shell....the attack and the resonance just seem right.

btw... the boing is not there anymore... I have been rescued by a bare concrete walled garage where i have to keep O rings to kill all that echo ().... Il be getting back to the details pretty soon though... wont be here long!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by audiotech View Post
    The boing or pitch bending is usually a result of the drum not being in tune with itself. Make sure there are no wrinkles in the heads by pressing with your index finger in the center of the head. If there is a wrinkle, just slightly tighten that particular tension rod till it's gone. Then tap about an inch away from each tension rod with your stick, don't use the drum key for tapping, and tune each rod until you get the same tone at each rod. Flip the drum over and do the same to the other head. I try to get the same fundamental tone at the reso and the batter head for best resonance.

There are many different ways to tune a drum, this works very well for me.

Dennis
    That's what I used to do. Also tune opposite rods in a star pattern across the head, rather than going around the perimeter in a linear fashion.

With all the different ways to tune a drum, you still cant tuna fish.
    Kevin
    DW Performance series - Gun Metal Metallic Lacquer
    24/12/16 6.5x14
    Sabian AA/AAX hi-hats & crashes
    Sabian HHX Evolution ride

Drummers can be very tempomental.....

User Info Menu

I just tuned mine the best I could then put some old boxer shorts in the tub and problem was fixed.