Thread: Fingertip Tricks!

User Info Menu

Default Fingertip Tricks!

Does anybody know any tricks to get odd sounds out of their hand drums? Share them with everybody and it will help everyones drumming skills.

I'll go first: On most hand drums, you can get a VERY loud accentuative POP by slapping your hand on the skin about 1"-2" from the rim and and muting it with the other hand a fraction of a second after you hit it. The sound will last about as long as it takes to say POP! When I want it to be REALLY loud, I will use my other arm to mute it so there is no ring at all. You will have some very sore fingers learning thise one, but once you get it, it won't hurt your hand too much.

That's an easy one. I have a lot more tricks up my sleeve, so if you share with me, I will be more than happy to tell you all I know.

BongoBro, I bet you have some great tricks for bongos and congas. I can't wait to hear them. Most of mine are for playing a djembe or ashiko, but I'm learning to adapt them over to different types of drums.

Who's next?!?!
    Da' Bum
    Rockin' the beat for fadedblue
    Keepin' time for Andy Harrison & the AOP
    http://www.facebook.com/fadedbluemusic
    DW Performance 5 pc. in White Marine Pearl
    1972 Pearl Deluxe Custom 5 pc. in blue sparkle
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

I play with my knuckles on my snare drum....most of the time i only do this when i drop a stick tho'...>.< i guess that dosent really help huh?
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip Tricks!

Hey, 1DB--was using that trick just this morning during church services--the closing song had a few breaks that reminded me of the percussion breaks in "Windy"--and there was a perfect place at the end of the last break for just such a slap on the quinto...it only hurts for a little while (LOL!)

Workin' on your tone-bending trick on my djembe...getting there...

Another thing I'm working on--and finally getting to work like I want it to--involves finger-rolling on the congas (like you're drumming your fingers on a table top...like 1 2 3 (the roll plays the "four-and-uh")...kinda like playin' the dombek on a much larger scale...

Will work up and translate some of my tricks in future posts...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Very cool, Bro! Man, sometimes when I'm playing in a drum circle, I might do that 2 or 3 times in a session and when I'm done, I can't bend my fingers! hehe

Here's a finger rolling trick for ya: Start with your left pinky resting lightly on the drum head about 1" from the rim, do a hard slap with your right hand and roll your left fingers during the note adding a small amount of pressure with each finger. You should be able to hear all 4 notes clearly if you are applying the right amount of pressure with each finger. Eventually you will be able to do this with both hands. It took me a very long time to perfect this technique, so don't get discouraged. It is a great tool when you are playing a very mellow groove and you can easily pull off 16 note fills with only 4 slaps. Oh yeah, you can't do this on a conga, bongo.....maybe.

Learning finger rolling like you are will change the way you play. At least it did me. Once I was able to get that down, I started playing a lot quieter and much more melodic. Just remember: The more tricks you learn, the more you will want to learn!

I think I'm gonna go play now......
    Last edited by 1DrumBum; 11-14-2006 at 01:13 AM.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip tricks!

Hey, 1DB--I don't know if you've done this, but you've heard the sound effects on Simon and Garfunkel's "Mrs. Robinson" or Seals and Crofts' "Diamond Girl" (where the conga player hits the drum and slides his finger forward to bring the note up--sort of a "dooOOOooo" sound).

I've tried it on my bongos and congas, but haven't gotten it down the way it sounds on the recordings...but tonight, when I was playin' set during a drum lesson, my drum teacher did something similar on the floor tom and told me you have to have the head fairly loose to make that sound...have you tried this--and if you have, did you have to loosen the drumheads to do it?

Thanks, bro'--and

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

User Info Menu

Hey Bro! I've never been able to get that sound out of my conga loud enough (while playing with the band) to be able to hear it over everything else, so I quit trying. That is a technique that is usually used on djembes or ashikos. I use it a lot when I am playing one of those. Your teacher is right though, you do have to have the head a little loose to get the most pitch change out of it. I keep my djembe head a little loose just for that reason.

Out of curiosity, did your teacher use one stick to push down on the center of the drum head while hitting the drum with the other stick? I watched a Mike Portnoy drum clinic video last night that he did that and it's something I had never thought of trying on my kit. He made it look so easy going across his floor toms and it sounded just crazy, kinda like a sick ambulance or something. oooOOOoooOOOoooOOOoooOOOooo from one end to the other in about 2 seconds flat. Wild! Iv'e been thinking about trying it, but I'm afraid I'm gonna start trashing drumheads trying to learn it. Them things ain't cheap ya know!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip Tricks!

No; he struck the head with a stick and dragged a finger of the other hand across the drumhead.

If you're gonna practice it Portnoy's way, I agree that you do it with a drum with an older drumhead so you don't tear up a good one...

Now there have been times when I've played bongos and congas that I've dropped my arm or slid my elbow across the heads to achieve that sound, but I've never got it to work with my finger (yet)...

Lately, I've been playin' the larger of my church bongos a bit looser after the teacher told me Bobby Rosengarden played his a bit loose...might have to experiment with that during the next rehearsal...that should sound cool...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Well, I've been working on the Portnoy pitch bending trick for a while now and I think I can do it somewhat ok. My only problem is that I just can't seem to throw it in while I'm playing a song. I can do it by itself and it sounds really cool, but I just can't seem to find a practical use for it. Oh well, it will come with time....

Alright! Here is another trick I keep up my sleeve for all you djembe players. This only works on djembes / ashikos that are hand strung (sorry Remo players ). Take another piece of string that matches the string on your drum. Tie it to the loop at the 9:00 position (the left side when it is in playing position) and and run it half way around the drum (the side closest to you) and and put it through a loop at the 3:00 position. Don't tie it, just put it through the loop. now bring it back to the 6:00 position and run it through that loop and drop it down. I tie the end of the string off on the bottom hoop, so there is now a loop big enough to put my knee into. I have seen people leave the string dangle so they can step on it if they want to, but I am usually sitting with my djembe between my knees, so a loop works best for me. You can now raise the pitch of the drum while you are playing just by pulling your knee away from the drum or by standing on the string and pulling the drum away (if your using a harness). Your drum will always go back to where it was tuned just by taking the tension back off of the string. Remember, this only works if you make it so you can pull the string down with another part of your body (or a heavy weight) and not use your hands to work it.

Very simple little tip to help elevate your playing!

Let the rythm flow....
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip Tricks!

Gonna have to try it, 1DB!

Might work better with a harness depending on the size of your body, but that sounds like a cool way to bend pitches without breakin' your fingers!

BTW, like the new sig! (Wonder who inspired it??? )

Charlie

User Info Menu

Here is another tip for the Djembe drummers:

Don't ever, ever, ever, put a cardiod mic into the bottom of your drum! It will blow it in a heartbeat. Just learned this one myself from personal experience.
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip Tricks!

Ouch! Nuff said!

Charlie

User Info Menu

I use alot of finger rolls. Trying to learn a one handed drum roll.
    Its a medium paced finger tip open tone incorporating the thumb.
    When i was young i went to a local college to watch a drummer
    accompany a sitar player. Two headed drum, i forget the name but
    i learned to use my pinky and thumbs for a very fast roll. It goes--
    either order: LH pinky/thumb RH pinky thumb....repeat. If you can
    incorporate this into your solo or as a filler it sounds pretty cool.
    I REALLY want to learn how Arturo Stable is doing this opening
    drum roll. Take a look over here at this video i found on youtube:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xe15md7VFQQ
    Ive been playing as a hobby for years and trying to get
    more serious lately. When i saw this my jaw hit the floor.

User Info Menu

WOW!

That guy is awesome. He makes those super fast rolls look effortless. I would have to say that he is using a 3 finger roll ( LH pinky, ring, thumb, RH thumb, ring, pinky) seeing as he keeps his hands so flat. I'm not sure though. I would love to see a close up of his hands while he is doing that.

Oh, Welcome to the site, Jack! It's good to see another hand percussionist on here. Kick off your shoes and stay a while. There are a lot of good people on here and I'm sure you'll make some great friends!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip Tricks!

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    WOW!

Oh, Welcome to the site, Jack! It's good to see another hand percussionist on here. Kick off your shoes and stay a while. There are a lot of good people on here and I'm sure you'll make some great friends!
    That makes three of us for the DrumChat drum circle...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip Tricks!

Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    I use alot of finger rolls. Trying to learn a one handed drum roll.
    Its a medium paced finger tip open tone incorporating the thumb.
    When i was young i went to a local college to watch a drummer
    accompany a sitar player. Two headed drum, i forget the name but
    i learned to use my pinky and thumbs for a very fast roll. It goes--
    either order: LH pinky/thumb RH pinky thumb....repeat. If you can
    incorporate this into your solo or as a filler it sounds pretty cool...

...When i saw this my jaw hit the floor.
    Hey, Jack, it's a matter of keeping the wrist loose so you can keep the thumbs and pinkies loose; I've been doing it on my congas, but at the end of the roll, I slap the rim so it sounds like a roll with a cross between a flam and a pop. Sounds cool and very jazzy...

BTW, sounds like you watching a tabla player in action...and bro', when a tabla player gets his roll cookin', it makes even the fastest bongo or conga player sound a bit too slow...

Charlie

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1DrumBum View Post
    Does anybody know any tricks to get odd sounds out of their hand drums?
    Hey 1DB, how odd of a sound do you want? Since I don't hand drum, I'm sure I could use my fingers and get some really odd sounds. A couple of them might even allow you to hear it without cringing! LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

LOL! You crack me up. pb!

We're just looking for different ways to make new sounds out of hand drums. Sure, there are not a lot, and most have been done before, but it is neat to find a new idea every once in a while.

I do have one I have been meaning to share for awhile. BB, your going to feel that this is "cheating: and I do to, but it really is a great idea. I saw this guy that attached a 4" spring to the nut that holds his bongos to the stand. He put a small bar through the end of the spring and stuck some small bouncy balls on each end of the bar. It looked like this "T" standing up between the bongos. This made the balls sit about 1/2" above the head. He then would take his index and middle finger on his left hand and put them on both sides of the spring and shake them. This created a very fast roll with both bongos and left his right hand free to do whatever he wanted. He told me it cost him a whopping $2 for the stuff to do it. Innovative: yes. Something I would do: probably not (ok, ok, I probably will just to try it out ).

Keep the ideas flowing and it will make us all a little bit better!
    Da' Bum
    KAT KT-3
    Paiste cymbals
    Gibraltar hardware
    Axis pedals
    Vic Firth sticks
    Evans heads

User Info Menu

Cool Fingertip Tricks!

Almost sounds like a vibra-slap for bongos...

and believe it or not, I actually like the idea! If you can put loose rivets in a cymbal for that trashy sound, you could have fun with that springy idea...gives a whole new meaning to a "ballsy" sound!

Charlie