Thread: Zildjian Earth ride ??

User Info Menu

Default Zildjian Earth ride ??

Anybody have one of these. The name sounds like it may be a dry type ride. Any info is appreciated.
    Dave

Frank "Fiacovaz" Iacovazzi
    RIP my friend

Proud member of "PHROGGES AQUARIAN ARMY"

User Info Menu

Default Re: Zildjian Earth ride ??

Never even heard of it. Hmmm
    Zildjian doesn't have any info of it on their site, perhaps it was a discontinued K series or something.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

This is why I ask.

Last edited by drummer; 09-12-2008 at 03:00 PM.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Dawg...I doubt that this would be anything from the K line...not with that Zildjian logo on it. It looks like a hi-bell on it and that makes me think it would be a pretty good deal for the asking price. If you aren't used to playing a "Dry" cymbal, you might be disappointed at first but, I think you'll learn to like it. They tend to be lower in pitch...dark...than Avedjis Zildjians. That's because they are hammered as well as lathed.
    This also makes the cymbal more articulate with less "Wash". You will hear every stroke of the stick on a cymbal like this. I'd buy it if I were in the market but, I'm set with my ride cymbals right now...I have 4 of them.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Dawg...I doubt that this would be anything from the K line...not with that Zildjian logo on it. It looks like a hi-bell on it and that makes me think it would be a pretty good deal for the asking price. If you aren't used to playing a "Dry" cymbal, you might be disappointed at first but, I think you'll learn to like it. They tend to be lower in pitch...dark...than Avedjis Zildjians. That's because they are hammered as well as lathed.
    This also makes the cymbal more articulate with less "Wash". You will hear every stroke of the stick on a cymbal like this. I'd buy it if I were in the market but, I'm set with my ride cymbals right now...I have 4 of them.
    That is kind of what Im looking for. I have an A custom medium ride that has too much wash for my tastes. As a matter of fact I have a buyer for my A custom and I have contacted the seller of this one. We will see how it goes.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Zildjian Earth ride ??

Dawg I Got Rid Of My A Custom Ride (loved It Wif Wood Stixs & Nylon Tip)Not So Much Wif My Aheads(So Then I Got My Sabian Chad Smith 20 1/2" Crash (as A Ride) And Now I Have A Paiste Traditional Flat Ride....Our Ears Keep Lookin For "Dat Sound" Like Frank I Have SABIANS,Zzildjians,and Paiste Rides....Still Lookin For 'Dat Sound""(" Enjoy The Journey" As Brother Swd Would Say!!!!)
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

ThePloughman Guest

I bought one of those in 1979. 20" A Zildjian Earth Ride. Ugly as hell. It had a solid pronounced ping that cut through with very little wash and a really slow buildup. You could lay into it hard. Crashed it was a little gongy. But that ride cut. Its very loud, very dry, and you will hear it. I sold mine in 2001.

User Info Menu

I had a Zildjian 22" Earth Ride and it was the best ride I ever played. . .

. . . except for what I play now, a 22" Zildjian K Earth Ride. Zildjian only made 2 of these babies. (Simon Phillips has the other one.) Yes, they make the K Dry Ride, which is close. The K fell out of the back of my van onto the street on the way to a gig, and I swear it sounds even better.

An Earth Ride is ugly because it is buried in the ground for several weeks to tarnish it. It plays at about 2 octaves below a normal ride The sound is a well-defined ping with little overtone, and the bell sound registers on the Richter scale when you hit it.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Similar to the Paiste Rude in configuration and sound!

all the best...

User Info Menu

Very loud, cutting, and extremely heavy. Maybe the heaviest ride I have ever seen. It struck me as not being all that versatile but good at what it does, which is cut through the mix.
    Ludwig Classic Maple w/Supraphonic Snare
    Sonor S-Classix
    Paiste New Signature Dark Energy

User Info Menu

It does cut through the mix, but not in a rude way. The sound produced is dry, pronounced, short, and very musical. I can use mine in Jazz tunes no problem.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Well guys I went and checked out the ride today. The ad said it was in perfect condition which was not the case. I dont mind a "seasoned" look onn a cymbal but this one had a lot of discoloration and and had about a 3 inch dent on the edge. I didnt look for keyholing because I had made up my mind. Also it was owned by a teenager so Im sure that is why it looked like it did. It sounded pretty good but I just can't put out money if it has damage to it. Oh well the search goes on. I'll find what Im looking for. Thanks for everyones input.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Sorry Dave. Rides like that always have the dark, discolored look and the dent is probably a hammer blow as they also are hammered. If there was no split in the cymbal at its edge, it's probably okay. If you ever get to see any of the Bosphorus or Turkish Master Rides, they can look ugly as all get out but what a sound. Never the less, if you're not comfortable with making a purchase like that, you are ahead of the game.

ThePloughman Guest

We said it was UGLY..........maybe we didnt stress just how ugly it was.

Mostly they looked like that new. Mine was bought brand new and had a ......... "dent"
    Last edited by ThePloughman; 09-14-2008 at 07:34 PM.

User Info Menu

This one looked like it had been dropped. Im pretty sure it didn't come from the hammer process.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

Dawg , keep your eyes open for a Zildjian Avedis as Frank mentioned . I have one and think you may like its sound . Mine has a real nice ping sound to it that isnt hard on the ears .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Dawg , keep your eyes open for a Zildjian Avedis as Frank mentioned . I have one and think you may like its sound . Mine has a real nice ping sound to it that isnt hard on the ears .
    Ya I had a 22" Ping Ride and I sold it. Wishing now I would have kept it. I want one with just a little was but not too much. I put some duct tape on the underside of the A Custom medium ride and it sounded better but still not what I want. Im thinking a 20" Avedis Ping may be the one.
    Dave

RIP my friend

User Info Menu

I have one of these, and I'm still not sure about it. I bought it when I was young and unsure of what I wanted. It doesn't fit in well with my 2002s, but it's not a bad ride by any means.

User Info Menu

I really like the look of it.

DIRTY and EARTHY.

makes me feel like a man! haha
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

If you are still interested in a Zildjain Avedis 22 inch Earth Ride I have one I bought 20 years ago from a freind and never played it.
    Last edited by Mike V; 06-25-2012 at 04:28 PM.

User Info Menu

I have a 22' Zildjian Earth Ride I bought 20 years ago from a freind only because they stoped making them over 10 years before I made the purchase. I never bought a stand to hang it and it has not been played since I have owned it. I was planning to hang it in my man cave and thought I would see what it was worth. It would appear that I have a vary rare mint condition coveted cymbell. I saw an old post by DAWGKIKKER who seemed to be in the market for this rare vintage cymbell.
    I tried to send DAWGKIKKER a PM to learn I have to make 25 posts so here is number 2 and if you are reading this and can send a PM to DAWGKIKKER or any othe interested buyer I would be more than happy to provide more info.

User Info Menu

well, mike V's going to be rudely awakened when he realizes that he's not allowed to sell things on Drumchat.

The only two constants I have are DW and Zildjian.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dawgkikker View Post
    That is kind of what Im looking for. I have an A custom medium ride that has too much wash for my tastes. As a matter of fact I have a buyer for my A custom and I have contacted the seller of this one. We will see how it goes.
    You will definitely be happy with the change if you go and purchase this darker dry ride. I have an a custom ride at my school, hate it, to bright and washy. As for this ride I'm sure it will even be better quality also
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*
    Genre:Metal/Screamo

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Nechre View Post
    well, mike V's going to be rudely awakened when he realizes that he's not allowed to sell things on Drumchat.
    That and when he reads the post date and realizes it was asked four years ago.
    C&C ll Rogers ll Ludwig ll Slingerland

Istanbul Agop 16" Signature Hats ll 15" 30th Anniversary Hats
    Istanbul Agop 22" Special Edition Jazz Ride ll 22" Trash Hit
    Istanbul Agop 24" Turk Jazz Ride

DW 6000/9000 Hardware ll Aquarian Drumheads ll Roland SPD-SX ll Ableton Live 9

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by IAmNotATable View Post
    That and when he reads the post date and realizes it was asked four years ago.
    Haha yeah no joke. I don't understand people. Read the rules damit
    CURRENT SETUP-
    Sonic Drive 7 piece kit.
    2 up 2 down

- Sabian AA Holy China 17"
    - Meinl classics custom extreme metal crash 18"
    - Sabian AA 16" crash
    - Zildjian Z custom 20" ride
    - Evans G2 heads
    - Pearl Demon Drive Double Pedal
    -Joey Jordison signature snare drum.

Drummer For: *BAND HAS NO NAME YET*