Thread: been a while

User Info Menu

Default been a while

Its been a while since I have posted,I have been very busy with finishing the basement.
    I have made a drum and guitar room.
    Its 12' x 20'
    Its just about done,I have to do a drop ceiling so I was wondering if they make a certain soundproof tile .

I need ideas for a suitable ceiling .

Ill take any and all suggestions .
    Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: been a while

Bish would suggest egg cartons

User Info Menu

Egg cartons dont work for sound proofing. Go to your local building supply and buy soundproof insulation. Just set it on top of the ceiling tiles.

User Info Menu

Yeah, insulation would be good. Maybe line the ceiling with foam. Give it a Padded Cell look. After all you ARE a Drummer!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Maybe line the ceiling with foam. Give it a Padded Cell look. After all you ARE a Drummer!
    Too funny BLD!!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

LOL good one BLD
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Im working on that exact same basement project , my room is 22 x 16 . My floor joists are insulated with fiberglas insulation and then I put in acoustic panels in the grid of my drop ceiling .

User Info Menu

I used a type of foam rubber called acustic foam to sound proof my garage. I put it on the garage door. When I prepare to play I attach it to the garage door panels and it is held in place with velcro strips. When I'm done I simply take it off and stow it away until the next time I play so the garage door can open and close. Since you are installing a permanent sound proofing I would use the same thing but attach it with a good glue.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Im working on that exact same basement project , my room is 22 x 16 .

So is my bassdrum

small room, haha
    jimbolimbo99 Mapex Mafia

Mapex M Birch
    Sabian AA and Paragons
    Zildjian A's
    Meinl Generation X
    Dream Lion
    Trick Pro-1V

My band

My Kit

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    Bish would suggest egg cartons
    Not for sound proofing, but they definitely work for deadening.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Cool Re: been a while

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    Yeah, insulation would be good. Maybe line the ceiling with foam. Give it a Padded Cell look. After all you ARE a Drummer!
    Best line about a drummer I've ever seen!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jimbolimbo99 View Post
    So is my bassdrum

small room, haha
    lmao 22x15 for me

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

You want a mix of diffusion and absorbtion. Behind you start with absorbtion and increase to diffusion to the front ultamately total diffusion in front diffusion on the ceiling. ceiling tiles are not sound proof. I built a recording booth and studio for my friend 20x15 booth and I lined all walls with 3/4 inch high density partical board and filled in all cracks with caulk to AIR PROOF it, the only way to get close to sound proof and then performed acoustic treatment and the high density partical board is about $12 a sheet and is a lot cheaper than OC sound control. The only weak spot is the door, should of used double doors. I even built a double pane window and is completely sound proof.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by aunkster View Post
    Its been a while since I have posted,I have been very busy with finishing the basement.
    I have made a drum and guitar room.
    Its 12' x 20'
    Its just about done,I have to do a drop ceiling so I was wondering if they make a certain soundproof tile .

I need ideas for a suitable ceiling .

Ill take any and all suggestions .
    Thanks
    HOLA COMO ESTAS Mi AMIGO AUNKSTER CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) THATS EXCELLENTE * NOW All your CREATIVE ARTISTIC JOURNEYS will JOURNEY within GREATNEW DIMENSIONS **
    GRACIAS ANDITS COOL your BACK AMIGO

User Info Menu

Foam blocks......... Carpet......... Heavy blankets......... Egg cartons......... Even rough rendering on the walls. But this all does different things and you can use mixtures of them all.
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

well ,Im finishing up the room today ,moving my drums in and and my guitars and amps and im ready to go ,its been a long slow haul but I believe its been worth it.

Any good advice in cleaning up my drums.
    I figure as long as im moving them and setting them up again I should give them a good cleaning.

Now that the room is done ill have more time to hang out here,
    Looks like I need to do some catching up

User Info Menu

Cool Re: been a while

That's cool, aunkster--it'll be fun to catch up with ya, bro'!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

just some dish washing liquid for the drums, and depending how much you wanna clean your drums, some brasso for the hardware, or just take it all apart and dunk it in coke for half a day or so... just don't put any non-chrome metal in coke. it gets damaged.
    oh, and wood polish for furniture makes your cymbals shine like a christmas tree! note: it doesn't clean the cymbals, just makes them shiny and leaves a lot of stick marks...