Thread: Exercises for Drummers

User Info Menu

Default Exercises for Drummers

Hi..

I were just wondering if anyone of you had any good tips on work-outs that benefits drummers. That is actual work-outs without actually using drums or a pad or so on. You see I kind of have this gym-project where I have to specialize in work-outs to one special “sport”, and since I’m have no interest in sports what so ever, I figured I’d try to build up a project around work-outs that is specialized around drumming. So, anyone have any ideas?

Sh00ter…

User Info Menu

Default Re: Exercises for Drummers

Quote Originally Posted by sh00ter View Post
    Hi..

I were just wondering if anyone of you had any good tips on work-outs that benefits drummers. That is actual work-outs without actually using drums or a pad or so on. You see I kind of have this gym-project where I have to specialize in work-outs to one special “sport”, and since I’m have no interest in sports what so ever, I figured I’d try to build up a project around work-outs that is specialized around drumming. So, anyone have any ideas?

Sh00ter…
    HOLA COMO ESTAS Mi AMIGO shOOter* CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) COOL USER NAME* ANYWAYS THIS WORKS For My own UNIQUE EXTREMMMMMXXX OUT of THE BOX ARTISTRY *for the MIND
    AND THE WHOLE BODY and what ever works for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST IS all Great within their Own UNIQUE JOURNEYS (ARTISTRY) *******************************
    OLA como estas **ALL ARTISTIC ARTIST DRUMMERS *
    I know that working Out IS FANTASTIC for contributing to (ONES)
    Own Creative ARTISTIC ARTISTRY within this ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ART FORM .
    And Lifting Weights Is GREAT* ALL MARTIAL ARTS(GIGONG) ,ALL STYLES Of DANCEING,
    YOGA ,SURFING BODY SURFING**,Running,BOXING ,(HIKEING )CLIMBING HIGH MOUNTAINS)What ever the ARTIST DRUMMER routine,
    OR (KIND)of work out One does IS FANTASTIC ,& being Very DiscipLine,Consitent,Persistence is only Going too Enhance The ARTIST
    DRUMMERS INNER STRENGHTS ,for ALL PERFORMING STYLES Of HIS or hers
    creative STYLES within the ANCIENT ART OF ALL MUSIC & DRUMMING ..
    I know that I have been Working out Since I was 7 years old EVERY DAY
    7 days A week ,& it works for me **But I ALWAYS say (STATE)whatever works for The
    Artistic ARTIST DRUMMER is All GREAT *within this FANTASTIC JOURNEY *OF
    Life & the ARTS all of them..GRACIAS'I am VERY EXTREMMMM
    with My Work out ,But Not to gain SIZE Just KICKING HOT CUTS**& STRENGHT& FLEXABILITY for MY ARTISTRY DRUMMING TECHNIQUES* ITs all GREAT**

User Info Menu

ludo, is great for the fingers, and any richard simmons work out tape, where he is wearing those pink shorts I find works well.!!

seriously though bud, i would concentrate on calf/leg arms/wrists and cardio exersizes.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    ludo, is great for the fingers, and any richard simmons work out tape, where he is wearing those pink shorts I find works well.!!

HOLA como estas Mi amigo RATMYCUE *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) VERY FUUNY !!BUT THEN Your A JOKER HA HA

seriously though bud, i would concentrate on calf/leg arms/wrists and cardio exersizes.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo RATMYCUE *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) VERY FUUNY !!BUT THEN Your A JOKER HA HA

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sh00ter View Post
    Hi..

Sh00ter…
    I have tons of excercises! One that has helped me is the "Stone Killer", my teacher showed it to me and I do it often. It's out of some book but I can't remember the name...... You set your metronome to about 60-65, and do 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + with your right and then 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + with your left then do 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 2 + 2 + 3 + 4 + with right and then with left. Keep going until you reach 20 with each hand and that, my friend, is called the Stone Killer.... I hope I explained that ok......

User Info Menu

tape 3 drumsticks together, then practice on a pillow or something of that sort....that'll put some lumps on those arms for sure.

hey welcome to drum chat by the way, i hope you like it here, there are a lot of good people with good knowledge, so i recommend sticking around!! good to have ya buddy!!!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by DamageDrummer View Post
    tape 3 drumsticks together, then practice on a pillow or something of that sort....that'll put some lumps on those arms for sure.

hey welcome to drum chat by the way, i hope you like it here, there are a lot of good people with good knowledge, so i recommend sticking around!! good to have ya buddy!!!
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo DAMAGEDRUMMER *CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) VERY COOL AND FUNNY and the TRUTH Or just USE TREES TRUKS ** GRACIAS

User Info Menu

It will also probably hurt your wrists.

User Info Menu

I am assuming your trying to boost your stamina. single and double stroke rolls. Find a speed that you are good and time yourself to how long you can go before you wear out or your arms turn into jello. Each and every time go a bit longer.

Same thing applies to your feet. Use your your base pedal and go at a slow and steady rate. If you don't have a Db pedal then turn and switch to your left or right foot and repeat. Practice both heal up and heal down. You can do these exorcises with out drums as well. Air drumming. you might look like some freak doing the air drumming and you might drive your neighbors and family into torching your kit but you will build Stamina and Timing all at the same time.

Also Push ups and Curls for your arms. for your calves Stand on the edge of a step with just your toes on the step and lift and down. Your calves will start to burn really fast.
    Last edited by Beasty101; 09-19-2008 at 04:03 PM.

User Info Menu

Anything for biceps and triceps, pecs, back muscles, and all leg muscles except for hamstrings tbh.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Vinnysimmo mk:II View Post
    It will also probably hurt your wrists.
    ill use a couple of tree trunks like SWD said....not very strong wrists if something with the same weight as a hammer would hurt them.... come on!!! this guy is trying to increase the strength, lifting weight would hurt your wrists alot more than 3 drumsticks taped together!

dont be afraid to put a little bit of pressure on yourself bro, dont hurt yourself of course, but try to use something a little bit heavier than drumsticks so when you pick up regular drumsticks, they seem lighter!

User Info Menu

every night before u go to bed do every rudiment that u know as fast as u can for as long as u can i do it it helps with stamina on drums and make your forearms stronger

User Info Menu

Back muscles! I was practicing moeller on a pillow this morning and I noticed that for these kind of techniques that require you to really move your arms, the back muscles do all the work; your accents come from there as well.

User Info Menu

Running, cycling and good old fashioned calesthenics.
    As a drummer you dont want to be big and muscular, you want to be lean and athletic. You dont need a gym or fancy equipment to be in great shape.

User Info Menu

Yeah. Being lean is better than being big. You need dexterity, not just stamina, to really play the drums.

User Info Menu

ill use a couple of tree trunks like SWD said....not very strong wrists if something with the same weight as a hammer would hurt them.... come on!!! this guy is trying to increase the strength, lifting weight would hurt your wrists alot more than 3 drumsticks taped together!

dont be afraid to put a little bit of pressure on yourself bro, dont hurt yourself of course, but try to use something a little bit heavier than drumsticks so when you pick up regular drumsticks, they seem lighter!
    The problem aint the weaght of them. The problem is that every time you pound into the rebeoundless pillow you wrists absord all the impact. Doing, for example, streches with three drumsticks toether would probably be very beneficial.