Thread: db techniques?

User Info Menu

Default db techniques?

first post btw, i'll work on the initiation thread. I got a pdp single chain double pedal a couple months and i dont know the difference between the techniques. Could someone be so kind as to explain them? Ive heard about heel toe, heel up andheel down and i dunno which is what.

User Info Menu

Default Re: db techniques?

heel toe is when you kind of roll your foot on the pedal

its really hard to do but once you get it you have serious speed

ummm as for the heel up and heel down correct me please if im wrong but i think heel up is when you tap the pedal with your toes and keep the heel up using the whole leg

and heel down is when you keep your heel on the pedal and just move your foot when hitting the bass drum

i personally like heel up b/c you can get more into it and just have a little bit more fun

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 1800ccp View Post
    heel toe is when you kind of roll your foot on the pedal

its really hard to do but once you get it you have serious speed

ummm as for the heel up and heel down correct me please if im wrong but i think heel up is when you tap the pedal with your toes and keep the heel up using the whole leg

and heel down is when you keep your heel on the pedal and just move your foot when hitting the bass drum

i personally like heel up b/c you can get more into it and just have a little bit more fun
    ok thanks, in that case i use heel down

User Info Menu

There's a lot out there these days to confuse you. If it helps; the norm is heel up.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    There's a lot out there these days to confuse you. If it helps; the norm is heel up.
    i cant get used to doing that, i practiced it for a bit, and thats the technique the drummer for band uses

User Info Menu

welcomes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by supster View Post
    i cant get used to doing that, i practiced it for a bit, and thats the technique the drummer for band uses
    It just takes a little practice. If its different than what you're used to, you'll have to adjust to the new feel. But I think it will definitely be worth your while to switch. If you learn to play mostly flat-footed, you'll never have the power you need. Trust me on this.

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum Chat Supster!

Another consideration for using the heel up technique is that you are using larger muscles (thigh, and hip muscles, rather than the calf muscles with the heel down technique), so your endurence will be greater with the heel up method. Don't think of heel up as "tapping" with the toes (that would really describe the heel down method). Think of heel up as leaving the ball of the foot on the pedal, and using your entire leg to provide the power (which Drummer said was important).

Both techniques are possible, because people who drive cars do it all the time. The gas is controlled with heel down technique, while the brake is usually a heel up technique. It's just a matter of getting used to it.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

do i get a hello Paster Bob?

User Info Menu

Nope, sorry 1800ccp. LOL

Of course you do. My apologies! Welcome to Drum Chat 1800ccp!!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

hello 1800

User Info Menu

Welcome to Drum chat you 2!!!!!!! There are a lot of UTube videos on both hell up and down, also the constant release technique( check this one out).

User Info Menu

Welcome!

Heel to toe is the way to get incredible speed (difficult)

Heel up is for power (common)

Heel down is for softer, but quick hits (common, for jazz and fast single pedal work)
    -Steven

User Info Menu

ok thanks everyone, i'll work on those

User Info Menu

Welcome to the forums! It is always nice to have new people post here.