Thread: RIDE Cymbal Ideas For Country-Pop Band

User Info Menu

Default RIDE Cymbal Ideas For Country-Pop Band

I play in a LOW-to-MEDIUM volume country-pop, beats-per-minute, strict dance band. I use a metronome / earphone, and the leader does NOT like any ride cymbal on ANY vocal parts: verse, chorus, harmonies, or solo. Instrumental parts are OK, most of the time. Although, I am now comfortable, even thriving, in the situation, I feel a better ride cymbal selection may help improve my sound, and allow me to gradually introduce some RIDE into some vocal choruses without "clashing / ringing" sounds that compete with the vocals.

My current rides:

RIDE: 20" Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride: when I play this in our songs, the leader doesn't like the tone / ringing clashing with the vocals. Maybe I need a "creamier", lighter, less pingy sound ?

CRASH / RIDE: 18" Zildjian ZBT: I don't know WHY I bought this. Maybe because it was cheap and shiny. Using as a crash / ride is out of the question, except at our LOUDEST outdoor gigs. And it really doesn't
    sound good in anything.

As a funny side note, I would like to buy a splash / small crash cymbal, but until I find one, I am using the CHEAP HI-HAT STARTER CYMBAL THAT CAME WITH MY VERY CHEAPEST TAMA KIT AS MY SPLASH !!!! I can really hit this hard and not be too loud.

So, anyone play similar music and have an agreeable ride cymbal ? Thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: RIDE Cymbal Ideas For Country-Pop Band

Quote Originally Posted by old dead wood View Post
    I play in a LOW-to-MEDIUM volume country-pop, beats-per-minute, strict dance band. I use a metronome / earphone, and the leader does NOT like any ride cymbal on ANY vocal parts: verse, chorus, harmonies, or solo. Instrumental parts are OK, most of the time. Although, I am now comfortable, even thriving, in the situation, I feel a better ride cymbal selection may help improve my sound, and allow me to gradually introduce some RIDE into some vocal choruses without "clashing / ringing" sounds that compete with the vocals.

My current rides:

RIDE: 20" Zildjian K Custom Dry Ride: when I play this in our songs, the leader doesn't like the tone / ringing clashing with the vocals. Maybe I need a "creamier", lighter, less pingy sound ?

CRASH / RIDE: 18" Zildjian ZBT: I don't know WHY I bought this. Maybe because it was cheap and shiny. Using as a crash / ride is out of the question, except at our LOUDEST outdoor gigs. And it really doesn't
    sound good in anything.

As a funny side note, I would like to buy a splash / small crash cymbal, but until I find one, I am using the CHEAP HI-HAT STARTER CYMBAL THAT CAME WITH MY VERY CHEAPEST TAMA KIT AS MY SPLASH !!!! I can really hit this hard and not be too loud.

So, anyone play similar music and have an agreeable ride cymbal ? Thanks
    Check out a medium thickness cymbal, maybe a 20" medium A, i personally think its very smooth, or check out the hhx rides, they have a thick bell and a thin edge.
    -Steven

User Info Menu

the 22" k custom dark ride is quiet smooth and musical. the dry ride is nice and not an obnoxious ride at all. i have a feeling your anal band leader would still have an issue no matter what you buy.

User Info Menu

odw ,first , welcome to the forum .

Go on to Zildjians web-site and check out their sound clips for the different cymbals . Once you find the ones you like , go to your local store and listen to themm in person.

I have a couple Zildjians in that 20-22 " range that I use and like . One is a sizzler from mid 60's which I will ride closer to the bell for less wash and the other is an Amir from the early 80's . I like them both for that type of music .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by funkymcstain View Post
    the 22" k custom dark ride is quiet smooth and musical. the dry ride is nice and not an obnoxious ride at all. i have a feeling your anal band leader would still have an issue no matter what you buy.

I tend to agree.

User Info Menu

Old Dead Wood, I can't imagine the K dry ride not working. What is the problem with it, is it too washy? where as it builds it starts to get clangy. I would say in the setting you are in and with an overly directive band leader, got as dry a ride as possible, one that does not build at all as you strike it, you might even consider a big 22" or bigger flat ride with no bell so that it stays out of the way of the over particular vocalist. Those are just my thoughts on the matter.

User Info Menu

hey ODW nice to meet you. I read this and your original post and I want to tell you with all do respect to you, personally i would tell them to get a drum machine and i would find a gig that i could enjoy cause that don't sound like fun to me. I play very laid back and believe less is more most of the time , but gezz sounds like they need to get over themselves to me. Please don't take this the wrong way just sharing how i see it .

User Info Menu

I like my 19" Armand Ride with three rivets. Something like that might fit in better, as it is a subtler sound. On the down side, I notice they are quite expensive these days.

User Info Menu

what about an 8" spalsh, you could put rivets in it and hit it with a wet rag!!

User Info Menu

i think your leader just dont like counting on the ride cymbal at all...So... the problem probably is not your K custom ride
    Keep On Drumming

User Info Menu

If you are intent on finding a more suitable cymbal, may I suggest two to look for: First. Sabian AAX Stage ride 20" is absolutely incredible. I don't own it but I rehearse with it. Just a nice, ping and articulation to it. A welcome alternative to the darker sound of the K Custom Dry. Secondly, the K Constantinople line is Angelic. I have the 20 ride. It does not project very loudly with my big band but I use it with a jazz trio I play with and find it suitable for fast Sambas and light Bossa Nova's I play with the big band. I have to warn you though, this line up is expensive but so worth it if it's what you're searching for.