Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stick Control

User Info Menu

Default Stick Control

Well, I had an interesting thing happen tonight. Ever since I began playing a year and a half ago, I have tried all kinds of sticks, but I had always gravitated to the 5A's. I tried the 2B's when I started, but I aways thought the 2B's felt too big in my hand, and I figured the 7A was just too small unless I was doing jazz (which I wasn't). I have always held my sticks somewhat loose (much to the dismay of my drum teacher), because I always wanted that bounce from the head. I have wanted to really get the finger control of the stick, but I just kept struggling with this for some reason. recently, I bought a pair of 7A's just to try out.

OK, that's the background. Tonight, I sat down and grabbed the 2B's and just did a quick little single stroke roll on the ride, and it felt great. It was smooth, and perfectly controlled (if I do say so myself). I was so surprised that I did rolls on all my cymbals, just to see if position had anything to do with it. It all went so well, I just had to take it to the snare and the hi-hat. Again, it felt smooth and perfectly controlled. I decided to try the 5A's to see if I just suddenly had a "breakthrough." I was not as smooth and controlled with the 5A's. I went to the 7A's, and again I got smooth, controlled rolls. To say I am shocked right now is an understatement!

Is this just normal development? Has anyone else ever experienced this?
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick Control

I noticed that going from 2b to 5a gives me a more controlled feel. I usually use 2Bs. They do feel comfortable. But, yeah you're right!

User Info Menu

I actually use different sticks depending on the situation. My primary stick is a 5B. I will use 7As if I need the volume to be lower but still be able to maintain some attack or if I want a different sound.

I am sure you will find that as you get used to the new size and then go back to the old one it will have something to offer as well.

Don't limit yourself ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I use 7As all of the time, I guess I am just lazy but 2BS etc. are like swinging a base ball bat to me. I do use 5As on occasion that I want to really lay into something. but for most things the 7As do the job admirably for me.

User Info Menu

Yeah, changing your sticks every now and again is pretty cool. I like sticking with my 5A's, but my drum teacher had some rock sized sticks (they're bigger than 2B's) when I went to a lesson, and I slaughtered his kit with them, they had such a good sound and rebound. I felt like Bonham :D
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

Im going way back now dudes!!! wow i am old.....any way's I digress....My drum teacher had me use 2b's for stick control and snare rudiments when I first started way way way back. he said if I could control the big heavy sticks then I would have no problem and I would really feel the bounce when I switch to a smaller stick. I think he knew what he was talking about....

I recommend accented triplets with 2b's at 120bpm for 20 mins is a good indicator of where you are at. if your fingers done swell up and turn blue then you are doing ok.

good for you PB, I think you are getting good buddy, any chance you will be showing us your blistering doubles and diddles on tape? anytime soon.!!

User Info Menu

In many threads here about who uses what stick and why, I've always posted that I use three types of sticks primary. On my pad, I use the Remo Calato Marching drum stick. It is big and has some weight to it. I use these every night as I practice rudiments and stick work. On my drumset, I use the Vic Firth Buddy Rich model. It is thicker anda bit heavier than the 5a's. Again, I do this to work my hands and wrists around the drums. I will play to Buddy Rich tunes with these. When I can keep up and not be fatigued, then I know that i did good. On gigs/performances, I use the Vic Firth Peter Erskine Power ride 5A. I can play all day long and not get tired. I also use 7a's to play light jazz or light Latin charts. So, what you experienced PB is a natural development as you change weights of your sticks. Work hard with the heavy and you will play fast, light and accurate with the lighter weights.

User Info Menu

The interesting thing is that I can't remember the last time I picked up the 2B sticks. I have been doing nothing but playing with the 5A sticks. Now, all of a sudden, the 2B sticks are perfect, as are the 7A's. I played the 5A's a little while ago to try and prove to myself that something else is going on here. Even the 5A's are suddenly feeling better, but not a good as the 2B's and the 7A's. Weird!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

My first sticks were Slingerland 1A. They were long sticks with a gradual taper, very light on the tip and heavier at the butt end. That was my ideal stick for a long time; Ludwig's model was exactly the same. When they quit making them, I moved on to 5A, Regal Tip. I still have an old pair of Ludwig 1A, but when I try to play with them now, the balance is all wrong.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    The interesting thing is that I can't remember the last time I picked up the 2B sticks. I have been doing nothing but playing with the 5A sticks. Now, all of a sudden, the 2B sticks are perfect, as are the 7A's. I played the 5A's a little while ago to try and prove to myself that something else is going on here. Even the 5A's are suddenly feeling better, but not a good as the 2B's and the 7A's. Weird!
    HOLA COMO ESTAS MI AMIGO PASTOR_BOB CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST CAT * THATS FANTASTIC EXCELLENT * AND I always STATE ****WHAT-EVER works for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST is ALL great within their own unique STYLE (ARTISTRY ) within their OWN JOURNEYS * GRACIAS I ALSO USE 7A's BUT REALLY I can PERFORM with ANY STICKS EVEN TOOTH PICKS AND OHIO BLUE TIPS MATCHES *
    BUT PREFER 7A's

User Info Menu

I use 5A for the majority, nylons for using the ride, and woods form tom work, but i do have some 2B aquarian practice sticks that have nylon in the middle
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    if I could control the big heavy sticks then I would have no problem and I would really feel the bounce when I switch to a smaller stick. I think he knew what he was talking about....
    My teacher told me the exact same thing. I love the 5A's around the kit. I really dont mind using different sticks from time to time.

Great to hear about your break through PB! And yes i believe it is part of normal development. It happens with sticks and many other aspects of drumming.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

After reading this thread i think im gonna go buy me some big heavy sticks for my practice pad, thanks PB, thanks guys....

Larrysperf Guest

I use different sticks for different music but my fav. stick is dave weckel model. just like the feel. Vic firth Meleneim

Larrysperf Guest

Also sorry I have alum. sticks for practice

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Larrysperf View Post
    I use different sticks for different music but my fav. stick is dave weckel model. just like the feel. Vic firth Meleneim
    me too, cool colour too.

User Info Menu

In my years of playing Ive gone from 5a's at the start to double buttend tree trunks and now Im down to using Regal Tip "Pings"

User Info Menu

Maybe I should try the 7's.....

User Info Menu

not when u r getting to grips with the rudiments dc unless u r tiny tiny.

User Info Menu

So I should keep using the heavy arse sticks I've been using? LOL

User Info Menu

yeppers

User Info Menu

yeppers
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo RATMYCUE CRETIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) INTERESTING ""CREEPERS* of THE NIGHT WITHIN THE LIGHT

User Info Menu

Why not? I learnt my rudiments with 7A's?

User Info Menu

Interesting. Ive always wonderes what they are like.

User Info Menu

Should get me a pair of those as well.....