Thread: DB pedal for Lefties?

User Info Menu

Default DB pedal for Lefties?

Howdy friends. I'm glad I found this place, it's teeming with information that I've always wondered about. I've been playing drums off and on for 12 years, but I'm still very much a novice. I also play guitar and bass, but with a bit more proficiency.

So here's my question, I am a lefty, and after many years, I've decided to set my kit up mirrored to a righty instead of trying to adapt to a righty kit. I want to buy a double pedal that is switchable between L and R in case I decide to go back to playing a righty kit.

I've noticed that the DW line isn't ambidextrous, which bums me out because they make such nice pedals!

So what does the moral majority suggest?

Anyone else here a lefty? How do you set your kit up?

Best regards,

Adam

User Info Menu

Default Re: DB pedal for Lefties?

I am a left handed player with a double lefty pedal. I too searched for a pedal that will switch back and forth. My thoughts on this were so that I could share it with my son who plays right handed. To my knowledge there is not a pedal that will convert either way for right handed use and left handed use. At least I was never able to find one. I have the DW5000 left double pedal, it is a really nice pedal but will not convert over for right handed use.

User Info Menu

In all honesty, I'd recommend keeping your kit set up as a right handed one, it works for me and I'm left handed as well.
    But that's just me. Seeing as I don't use left handed kits or double bass, I can't help.
    Welcome to the forum...you'll never leave...
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

dont think there is one buddy, and welcome to the wonderful world of drumchat.

User Info Menu

Awesome, thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Ethel, Do you play the hats with your right hand? I play more of a Carter Beauford style, left hand on the hats and a ride above (when I play a right handed kit). I played a righty kit last night and it felt great, I think I might just end up going back to it.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lowendgenerator View Post

Ethel, Do you play the hats with your right hand? I play more of a Carter Beauford style, left hand on the hats and a ride above (when I play a right handed kit). I played a righty kit last night and it felt great, I think I might just end up going back to it.
    You would be referring to playing "open handed" I believe, I used to play that way as well but found that playing traditionally with my kit set up opposite a right handed kit that Things just flow better for me.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by lowendgenerator View Post

Yup, play them right handed. That's how I set em up, then realised that they were wrong for lefties. Couldn't be bothered to set em up again and anyway I needed to train up my right hand.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

UPDATE:

I ended up setting the kit up righty-style again, and I immediately noticed an improvement. I set up the ride where the 1st tom would go in a 5 piece kit (I play 2 floor toms), and bought a DW 5000 Delta double pedal. All is right with the world again.