Thread: Hanging Rides?

User Info Menu

Default Hanging Rides?

i saw a video today on youtube, they guy had his boom arm upside down, so the ride was hanging on the arm instead of sitting on it...can someone tell me why this is? or what is does different?
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Default Re: Hanging Rides?

Because it looks cool. I did it when I had a cage in the 80's

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    Because it looks cool. I did it when I had a cage in the 80's
    lol well if it just looks cooler i may try it tomorrow ha
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Hahaha, thats so wierd. I did this today, but I changed it back.

User Info Menu

id do it but i only have strait stands
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

I put all my cymbals vertical. I think that looks cool. (of course, they're harder to play that way... lol )

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by jguzman361 View Post
    id do it but i only have strait stands
    Now that would look cool haha

yeah i was going to try it but everyone is going to bed, so i cant really yet...
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I have a drummer friend that swears that the sustain is more prolonged. He recommends a stop lock; otherwise, the nuts would gradually loosen and next thing you know, your cymbal falls.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by bassist learning drums View Post
    I have a drummer friend that swears that the sustain is more prolonged. He recommends a stop lock; otherwise, the nuts would gradually loosen and next thing you know, your cymbal falls.
    silver Percussion Plus 5pc.

14" Paiste 3000 heavy hats

16" Sabian b8 pro thin crash

20" Paiste 502 plus ride

User Info Menu

I'm pretty sure it's to take tension off and lessen the force between your ride and and stand so that the sound isn't as short or grindy. Not suggested on a budget boom stand though.
    www.myspace.com/maudeephyfe
    The good times won't roll themselves
    Gretsch Renown Maple, Paiste Signature, Reflector, and Dark Energy

User Info Menu

I hate the thought of a 20lb cymbal falling off the stand because the wing nut came loose causing it to fall on my lacquer finished base drum. I think that would pretty much ruin my night, day, week, month, etc. It is just not worth the risk in my opinion.

User Info Menu

Thomas Lang has every one of his cymbals hanging... But he uses top quality hardware that would most likely never come loose like a cheap PDP or another stand.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    Thomas Lang has every one of his cymbals hanging... But he uses top quality hardware that would most likely never come loose like a cheap PDP or another stand.
    The cymbal attachment points are no different between a cheep PDP800 series stand and my 5000 and 9000 series DW stands, they share the same wing nuts and cymbal stand thread patterns.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    The cymbal attachment points are no different between a cheep PDP800 series stand and my 5000 and 9000 series DW stands, they share the same wing nuts and cymbal stand thread patterns.
    But would you expect one of my PDP400 boom arms to support a 21" ride upside down as well as a DW9000? I've tried and it doesn't work out well.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 32ndHeartBeat View Post
    But would you expect one of my PDP400 boom arms to support a 21" ride upside down as well as a DW9000? I've tried and it doesn't work out well.
    well I guess that would be a concern, I don't have any experience with the cheepst series PDP stands sorry!

User Info Menu

ive got my ride hanging to get it lower, i use a tama road pro in the hole for the toms, works great for me.
    play till the day i die. it makes more sense that way.

"You should set up your drums around the toilet. You know you must use it everyday and lets be realistic, nothing better is going on when your sitting on there. Why not take care of business and play the drums." silver dragon sound

User Info Menu

I played with upside down booms for years. My cymbals never fell. I used a double nut to make sure there was no slippage.The pressure on the boom is the same. Being up side down makes no difference.