Thread: My drumline director

User Info Menu

Default My drumline director

So, I'm in high school, and our drumline lost all of it's seniors to graduation, or the other stupid school they built. Our percussion director (like 65) took over the position of officer. I don't know what to do about him. He won't let us play coming in from rehearsal. He won't let us do the clickoff (tradition for years) after rehearsal, and he is just a pain. I mean, we even have to ask HIM before we can do a cadence. He plays with us at the football games. He duts and clicks his sticks on the field during performances. Sorry if this is stupid, but last year, drumline was AWESOME. This year, now that he's in charge, it sucks. Is there anything you guys would suggest?

User Info Menu

Default Re: My drumline director

If this is the feeling of most of the drumline, I think a few of you guys should try and talk to him about it in private, perhaps with a couple of parents present. But this will require extreme diplomacy and respect. You can't go in there using words like "stupid" or "sucks". If he knows that you otherwise appreciate him, you may be able to influence him to work at keeping the "fun" in the experience. That said; be careful that you're being fair to the guy. He might have a different style but sometimes the more rigid or demanding leaders are capable of producing much greater musicians in the long run due to high expectations and a disciplined approach. He may very well be a blessing in disguise.

User Info Menu

Well said, Drummer. I notice that the remarks are about a Percussion Director and not a Band director. Also, there seems to be some conflict or issue about a new school. There's also a definite attitude here about the instructor being like, 65. I'm 62 and have directed several high school and Drum corps drum lines. I liked having the Drumlines show their "Stuff" as you like BUT, only when they had exhibited the disipline Drummer suggests. So, what I would like to suggest is that you and the others in the Line, approach your instructor with the idea of wanting to Learn what he might have to Teach you and, while you're at it, do show him a little deference, not difference.

User Info Menu

When I was in high school our music director thought we needed a percussion director to make our drumline better. All but afew of us were in Drum Corps so we thought we didn't need the help. We had the talent but lacked discipline. After awhile I caught on that he really knew what he was talking about and convinced the rest of the line to do what he was telling us. It wasn't until later in the year that I found out he playing snare in the 1971 Aniheim Kingsmen, the first corps to win DCI. I can't remember his name but he taught us alot more then a new cadance or two. I aksed him if we could play my favorite drum corp drum solo "George of the jungle", which the kingsmen played. He agreed and it quiclky became a school favorite. What you and your fellow drumline members need to do is talk to him about what you expect from him and what he expects from all of you. I was the line captain and once we did this it our lives were much easier and our line much better and in the long run our band and our school benifited from his lessons.

User Info Menu

tidus, first welcome to DC.

Some excellent replies , I agree you guys / gals must keep the respect , it goes both ways. I like the idea of sitting in with another adult , maybe even the band director .

Just give him a chance and let him know hes taking away the fun things and ask if theres an appropriate time when you can fit in some of that fun stuff.

Good luck .

User Info Menu

Well, the problem is also with the drumline. After I started paying attention in stead of just griping about what he was doing wrong, I realized that a select few in the drumline are causing some problems, and from what I've seen, what he is doing is to punish them. I've talked to him a bit, was really diplomatic, respectful, and I tried to plead my case. He understood my argument, but he just said he's been at this longer than I have and I need to let him be the boss. He's very hard headed, and there is really no changing his mind. Thanks for the tips though. I had thought of talking to him before, but getting advice to talk to him kinda pushed me into doing so. I'm gonna try to continue to talk to him and get some more of our...privileges back.

User Info Menu

Tidus I'm glad you decided to talk the the instructor and got a better prospective on where he's coming from. You might want to talk to some of your fellow drummers about cutting out the types of behavior that caused your line to loose the priveledges to start with.
    Gretsch Catalina Birch 6 piece fusion set (10,12,14,16in. Toms, 22 Bass). Sabian 20" HH Classic Ride, 16" Istanbul Agop Dark Crash, & Zildian K 13" Hi-hats.