Thread: making / custom made drums

User Info Menu

Default making / custom made drums

Has anyone made or know of someone who has made their own drum set?

I am looking for your opinions / advise , good or bad on how you made out doing it .

I was looking at some Kellers 8 and 10 ply maple shells . I was thinking of doing a 5 pc set .

User Info Menu

Default Re: making / custom made drums

I know of two drummers who have made their own kits, each with polarized success. The one put together a kit of Keller shells in the sizes he wanted and outfitted it with DW hardware. Smallest darn set I ever sat behind but had a killer sound. The other, I've never seen and, when I inquired, he told me to forget it. The way I look at it, if you have the time and the equipment to do the job...why not?
    I would also want to have the bearing edges cut for what I want, reinforcement rings and, if including a snare drum into the mix, snare beds pre-cut into the shell.
    Last edited by fiacovaz; 09-23-2008 at 07:26 PM.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Are these made from scratch, or are there do it yourself kits out there?

User Info Menu

do it yourself kits i believe, i combined a set to mine, and it has 2 bass, 3 rack, 2 floor toms anda snare, same cymbal setup

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

What I described above were made from scratch drums...
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Who sells the DIY kit? I would love to see how it's done. I did a bass before, and learned a lot.

Making from scratch...... I would need to get some woodworking tools, which is something I would love to do!

User Info Menu

I made two sets myself. I did buy the hardware elsewhere but drilled, finished and assembled them my self. Very rewarding when its all done. The more time you spend planning and making certain about color, finish and hardware options, the happier you will be with the outcome. It may be hard but it will time well spent...believe me. Also, don't be afraid top ask questions or refer to web sites like this for advice. There is alot of untapped knowledge out her on the web. I don't want to tick off the mods by putting any commercial links in here but if you were to search the phrase "drumbuilder"...you would find some great stuff. Good luck and post some pics when you are done.

User Info Menu

What Im thinlking is buying the shells , hoops hardware etc and putting everything together myself .

Im looking at shells with the bearing edges now and just trying to get prices together to see exactly how much I would need to do something like this. So far the shells alone are going to be about 300 bucks .

User Info Menu

what angle would you get the bearing edges at? And what tool would you use for the bearing edges?
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by livewire80 View Post
    what angle would you get the bearing edges at? And what tool would you use for the bearing edges?
    45 degrees for the bearing edge and I can order in the shells with or with out the edge . I would have them do the bearing edge for me because theres not much difference in the price .

If I remember the price of the 14x3 snare shell was 30 some dollars with the bearing edge and 30 bucks without .

User Info Menu

I always thought making my own custom drum kit would be cool. Not that I really have the time to make that happen, mind you, but it would still be cool! The greatest part is not being locked into the color scheme of the drum manufacturers. You can make it any color you want, with any graphics you want. Of course, I would have to give up that exotic wood veneer, because I just don't have the skills, or the tools, to be able to pull that one off.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Believe it or not , the color is going to be the hardest part for me . I do like the fades right now , but Ive also thought about making it the same color as my Ludwigs which is black diamond pearl .

My reason for this project is because I never had a new set of drums .The set I am using now is my 1 st set and I got that used in 1978 . I love the sizes and sound but I want to preserve the set and maybe just play it on occasion .

I would like to make a set because I cant make up my mind on getting another Ludwig or do I get a Gretsch , Mapex , Tama, etc. They are all great sets , then I thought maybe make my own the way I want . So thats where I am now and want to get some responses from the members and see what this will end up costing me to see if its even feasible .

User Info Menu

GF, you'll definitely save some money by building your own kit, because you're supplying your own labor. On the other hand, you can get into cost overruns if you mess anything up, and have to start over on any of the drums. Many of the major manufacturers use Keller shells, so you're starting out with good quality materials. I would say just research it well (just like the ol' measure twice, and cut once mantra), and have a good plan before putting a tool, or the stain, to the wood.

If you take the time, you could have quite a nice legacy kit, but if you want a good resale value, you might want to think about buying a manufactured kit from a major name.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    45 degrees for the bearing edge and I can order in the shells with or with out the edge . I would have them do the bearing edge for me because theres not much difference in the price .

If I remember the price of the 14x3 snare shell was 30 some dollars with the bearing edge and 30 bucks without .
    Build yourself a good router table and 45 degree bit and build a jig to hold you shell in place as you maneuver around the bit. You want to move the shell over the router not the router over the shell and you can cut some beautiful edges. There are sites on the web that will explain with pictures how to do build the table etc.

User Info Menu

It would be really nice to cut the edging yourself but it sounds like a bit of work and what if you stuff it up, there goes the shell. If its only an extra 30 bux a drum, might be the easier option.

Hey Gf, you know you always got the option of wrap if the stain is going to be too difficult. Nothing beats a nice wood grain finish though.
    I play, Gretsch Catalina Birch, 7 piece in the vintage sunburst finish.

RIP, Frank. You will not be forgotten. Missing you, mate

User Info Menu

Fades arnt too hard. You just oil the wood to the colour you want. Then get a fresh brush and paint the solid bit and take the brush. Remove much of the black as you can then stroke inwards and it will blend into the other paint...... Hard to get right but easier than you think to do. I would just oil or stain the wood and keep the natural grain or order a wrap.

Course when oiling you apply a 2pac clear coat. To make it shine
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

User Info Menu

I have build one 5 piece from raw Keller shells. A snare drum from a raw Craviotto shell and rebuilt and updates an old Ludwig snare. I am currently restoring 18 vintage TAMA superstar shells. I enjoy the process and the satisfaction you get when you are done.

Here is the Craviotto snare

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...44.html?t=6044

Here is a pic of my Supes stripped

Ok so I know we cant post links here so all I can say is search on ghostnote and drumshed to start. These are drum builders forums. Full of all the info you need to successfully build a custom shop pro level kit.

also another great resource is drumfoundry. They sell parts but also have a great tutorial section that explains prety much everything you need to know. This site is really geared at the builder offering tools you really cant find anywhere else.

I have done a lot of homework on building.
    Last edited by rmandelbaum; 09-25-2008 at 09:19 AM. Reason: added content
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

last January I "refinished" an older pearl kit........the floor tom had a dent in the side so i ordered a new shell......was actually less work buying new shells and assembling than restoring...........for what it costs you might as well have the bearing edges done for you...........too much hassel setting up and doing it yourself........they suggest attaching a hand router onto a 24" X 24" piece of plexi-glass so you can see your progress when doing the edges........I think the most important thing is if you have a kit handy that is complete it is very helpfull to use for your measurements and double checking........my current passion is learning the bass guitar, and eventually learning to play drums..........I would not hesitate building my own rather than buying from a store....there is that something special knowing that you built your kit and that it is "custom", unique ..........I say go for it.......all you need is a little patience and an electric hand drill..........and make sure all your hardware will match.....cheers
    Gerry

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I have build one 5 piece from raw Keller shells. A snare drum from a raw Craviotto shell and rebuilt and updates an old Ludwig snare. I am currently restoring 18 vintage TAMA superstar shells. I enjoy the process and the satisfaction you get when you are done.

Here is the Craviotto snare

http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...44.html?t=6044

Here is a pic of my Supes stripped

Ok so I know we cant post links here so all I can say is search on ghostnote and drumshed to start. These are drum builders forums. Full of all the info you need to successfully build a custom shop pro level kit.

also another great resource is drumfoundry. They sell parts but also have a great tutorial section that explains prety much everything you need to know. This site is really geared at the builder offering tools you really cant find anywhere else.

I have done a lot of homework on building.

What good timing , I was just reading that thread on the snare and was thinking about pm-ing you for comments .I remembered in the past a couple different members doing their own drums but couldnt remember who until I just now saw your reply and pics of the TAMA set .

User Info Menu

thanks so far for all the feedback and comments , I am definately getting the bearing edges done if I do this project , thats just too much work involved for the little bit of extra money they charge

User Info Menu

I PMd you a bunch of drum building links to forums, suppliers and more. If anybody wants a copy of my list PM me I am happy to share.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I PMd you a bunch of drum building links to forums, suppliers and more. If anybody wants a copy of my list PM me I am happy to share.
    I got it , thanks