Thread: Aquarian Performance II

User Info Menu

Default Aquarian Performance II

I have been researching heads for my M Birch kit, from what I've read these sound like what I'm looking for. All reviews I've read refers to "loose tuning"; how loose are these heads, what kind of stick bounce/rebound can I expect from them? Appreciate your input.
    Mapex Saturn, Cherry Sparkle, 6 piece Studioese

Black Panther Cherry/Maple

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Re: Aquarian Performance II

05 Wideglide huh?? Traded my 98 WG on an 07 FXSTC in November 06. Still miss the ole girl. Anyway, Aquarian P2's. I'm running P2's with Aquarian classic clear resos on 12X9, 13X10, and 16X16 Toms. Resos are tuned just a tad higher than the batters as per the Aquarian website advice. Took a little while and a few brews, but I finally got them where I like them. They replaced the stock ones that came with the kit which were low end Remos that sounded like crap with Waaaay to much ring and overtone. The P2's took care of that. Best way I can describe the sound is how Simon Kirke from Bad Companys Toms sounded. The stick action/rebound to "me" is ok. Rolls, triplets, fills, etc are no problem. But I'm just an old classic rock guy that doesn't get too fancy with things. They will make your point when bang on them. A good deep fat Tom sound. If that old school sound is what you're looking for, than these are the heads you want. Just my two shekels,,,,,

SK
    "A man can NEVER have too many cymbals"

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes
    Remo Vintage Emperor, Emperor X, and Powerstroke Pro Heads
    Paiste Twenty/2002/Signature Cymbals
    Sonor/DW/Gibraltar Hardware

User Info Menu

I like them. I replaced the stock heads on my kit with PII batters and Classic Clear Resos. Resos are tuned just a tad higher than the batters as reccomended by Aquarian. Best way I can describe them is to listen to the tom sounds that Simon Kirke from Bad Company had. That is pretty much what you're gonna hear. Good deep sound with no ring. If you are a fellow classic rock afficianado, then you'll like them. I have no problem with rolls, triplets, fills, etc with them. Even tuned low they have good rebound and stick action. Buy a set for one tom and see what you think. Just my 2 cents,,

SK

Proudly Playing

Sonor Force 3007 Stage One Piano Black 22X17.5 kick, 8, 10, 12, 13, 14 and 16" toms
    Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by sonorkid View Post
    05 Wideglide huh?? Traded my 98 WG on an 07 FXSTC in November 06. Still miss the ole girl. Anyway, Aquarian P2's. I'm running P2's with Aquarian classic clear resos on 12X9, 13X10, and 16X16 Toms. Resos are tuned just a tad higher than the batters as per the Aquarian website advice. Took a little while and a few brews, but I finally got them where I like them. They replaced the stock ones that came with the kit which were low end Remos that sounded like crap with Waaaay to much ring and overtone. The P2's took care of that. Best way I can describe the sound is how Simon Kirke from Bad Companys Toms sounded. The stick action/rebound to "me" is ok. Rolls, triplets, fills, etc are no problem. But I'm just an old classic rock guy that doesn't get too fancy with things. They will make your point when bang on them. A good deep fat Tom sound. If that old school sound is what you're looking for, than these are the heads you want. Just my two shekels,,,,,

SK
    Dude, we are way to much alike; I'm looking to trade my WG in on a Soft Tail Custom too. I am looking for that old school sound, can't stand the ringing in my toms. I just bought the set; a Mapex M Birch, I still have the stock heads, the shop threw in a set of Evans E Rings so they help. But I need a head change.

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

Sorry for the double post, and enjoy the Softail! Hope things are good in Looooziana. I have a bunch of family around Jena. And oh yeah,,try a PII on one of your toms.

SK

Proudly Playing

Pork Pie Big Black Snare
    Vater Sticks/Brushes

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 05WideGuy View Post
    I have been researching heads for my M Birch kit, from what I've read these sound like what I'm looking for. All reviews I've read refers to "loose tuning"; how loose are these heads, what kind of stick bounce/rebound can I expect from them? Appreciate your input.
    well on my kit i just put on some evans hydrualics, they sound really good on birch, loose and tight. (same kit as you)

But i hvent ever heard anything bad about aquarian, so if you get them let me know how they sound
    -Steven

User Info Menu

Will do Zeta, I'm going to get one for my 10" Tom first and if I like it I will do the others. BTW what kind of sound are you getting out of the hydraulics?
    Last edited by 05WideGuy; 09-28-2008 at 11:00 PM.

Sabian AA cymbals

User Info Menu

i play an open mic (well, no mics on drums...lol) kit that always has P2s on it. from behind the kit and on stage they have this deep, fat, studio type sound. from a few tables back they sound like tuned cardboard. i think they would sound good with mics tho.

i like my toms to sing and sustain as much as possible. i get alot of oldschool guys that tell me how great my drums sound from up front, only to sit behind them and freak out by how "loud" and "ringy" they are. i'm 35 and somewhat oldschool myself, but i really did not like the "thuddy" overcompressed drum sounds of the 70s and 80s.