Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What I should Practice

User Info Menu

Default What I should Practice

Well, I just hit the 1 year mark of playing drums seriously a couple months ago and I've started to look at my practice regiment a little harder. First off, here's what I do.
    I play along to 10 songs, do drum rudiments with my feet twice (10 minutes each), rudiments twice (for 15 minutes each), and I'm gonna start learning new fills and drum beats.
    So what I'm asking you guys to do for me (if you want, if you help it will be greatly appreciated) is add things that would make my regiment better, tell me what I shouldn't be doing..any tips! I just kind of want to know what i should practice lol. My main problem is coming up with cool fills and beats..I have a major problem with that. If you have any questions feel free to ask! I'll answer them all. Take care everyone!

User Info Menu

Default Re: What I should Practice

what is your screen name? ... eat your vitamins!!!

if women don't find you handsome.
    they should atleast find you handy.

User Info Menu

Work on your tempo with a metronome.
    Paiste Posse
    14inch 2002 series Sound Edge Hi-hats
    16inch and 18inch Signature series Fast crashes
    20inch 3000 series Ride
    18inch PST5 series China

Pearl Forum Series drum set
    Pearl Chad Smith Signature snare(steel shell)
    Tama Iron Cobra Chrome

RIP Frank - You will be remembered

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Andreeew View Post
    Work on your tempo with a metronome.
    yes, that is the most important part of drumming, if you cant hold a tempo then you can lead a band

i reccomend buying any book that is filled with beats, and build yourself a wide range of stable tempos

User Info Menu

You could, if you don't already, practice your rudiments starting with the opposite hand to your strongest hand and try and build them up eventually to be the same. Something i wanna try and practise is playing beats with my weaker hand and leg so i can play beats either way round. If you had to play a left handed kit for some reason you could do it. Actually thinking about it im gonna start working on that more lol.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Weslapootayn;104732] We slap pootayn? cmon man give up the screen name already?

User Info Menu

i read it as where's the pootayn lol

as for the question, do what needs work. you have to be the judge or a teacher perhaps?
    When Everything is coming your way, Your in the wrong Lane!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Weslapootayn View Post
    My main problem is coming up with cool fills and beats..I have a major problem with that.
    You can listen to music with a busy or distinctive drum part and learn all the fills. By picking up someone elses chops you may be able to adapt them to make them all your own and even pick up ideas for totally new stuff.

Carlos Santana talks about coming up with ideas for phrasing by taking verbal expressions and translating them to his instrument. I've used this technique and it really helps me to come up with "things to say" when I'm playing.

User Info Menu

You could always listen to songs from skynard and learn where not to put a cowbell.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Roaddebris View Post
    You can listen to music with a busy or distinctive drum part and learn all the fills. By picking up someone elses chops you may be able to adapt them to make them all your own and even pick up ideas for totally new stuff.
    I agree with this. The best place to start (as the old saying goes) is at the beginning. Take one fill only. Pick something you like and that you think you can manage. Then make it your goal to learn it. Listen to it over and again, study it, practice it one note at a time, and learn it.

Then pick another fill and do it all over again.

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your tips. I appreciate it. Also, the screename 'Weslapootayn' holds no meaning. It's a gibberish word I made up in the 9th grade (or close to). If that gives you any idea, I'm going into my second year of college now lol so that was a while ago. It has nothing to do with poon tang or slapping anything.

User Info Menu

for beats, I would suggest getting a book filled with beats, or listen to songs, and write them down. Once you know these, basic beats or not, be creative. Add crashes, more bass, toms, open hi-hat, do what you think sounds good. For me, once I started doing this, its easier for me to come up with a beat on the spot during practice or jams. Also, I dont always keep 8th going on my hi-hat, even though I always have tempo going somewhere, this leads to more possiblitys for beats, and fills too.
    hope i helped!

User Info Menu

Cool Re: What I should Practice

The Entire Art Of Drums Leaves You Many Options.Do You Want Better Chops,Showmanship,Reading Skills Or What???Tell Us What You Want & We'll Tell Ya What Ya Need And How To Get There!!!! WE'RE VERY GOOD AT THAT HERE
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Thanks everyone for your tips. I appreciate it. Also, the screename 'Weslapootayn' holds no meaning. It's a gibberish word I made up in the 9th grade (or close to). If that gives you any idea, I'm going into my second year of college now lol so that was a while ago. It has nothing to do with poon tang or slapping anything.
    Nonsense!!! we all Know u are a closet poontayn slapper!!

User Info Menu

realize that its all about having fun, and just relax and not have such a rigorous schedule your putting onto yourself

User Info Menu

Instructional books work wonders. Find some interesting drumming books, and gradually work through them as you wish. The stuff you learn will make its way into your playing.

Also, speed and endurance is so vital. Keep challenging your single strokes per minute.

Rudiments with your feet are great, but your hands are more important. When you do this, switch around accents and dynamics in your rudiments to make some new ideas.

User Info Menu

Anyone got any instructional book suggestions? I also just started learning songs all the way through note for note, I wanna know if you guys think that's a good idea to do. I want to practice rudiments with my hands but I don't really know how to apply them..Can someone tell me some exercises I can do with rudiments that will help me? PLEASE! I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO USE RUDIMENTS SO BADLY! lol haha. Thank you so very much everyone!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by coke_can View Post
    realize that its all about having fun, and just relax and not have such a rigorous schedule your putting onto yourself
    I'm not stressing myself. I'm having fun with it. An hour and a half a day isn't really that rigorous.

User Info Menu

Dude, get yourself a metronome. Best thing I ever did. Develops the internal clock. When I play without it I swear I can hear it sometimes. Hmmm....

User Info Menu

try to get in a routine,I always start off with some rudiments then go into some fills,I try to keep up the first 15 or 20 minutes with the same habit.
    then I go into all the new stuff and song playing

User Info Menu

PLEASE! I WANT TO KNOW HOW TO USE RUDIMENTS SO BADLY! lol haha. Thank you so very much everyone!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ESjyB8EMw4w

The intro has a lot of limb independence that can be easily achieved through paradiddles; if you want to play it with the clicky stick sound in the background at least.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

So Slap {I hope u dont mind if I call u slap} its so much better than poon.

Tell us what rudiments u are currently doing and how many of them do you have down smoothly? Also What style of music do you like to play/listen to?

User Info Menu

Umm I don't really practice rudiments that often. I don't know what to do with them really. I know they're important, but I don't know what to do. I've tried to make beats and fills with 'em and I'm assuming that's what you do, but is there more to it? I'm really into Death Metal.
    Jail?

User Info Menu

Umm I don't really practice rudiments that often. I don't know what to do with them really. I know they're important, but I don't know what to do. I've tried to make beats and fills with 'em and I'm assuming that's what you do, but is there more to it? I'm really into Death Metal.
    get a practice pad! and practice them on it, dont try to do beats with them until you master them basically
    -Steven

User Info Menu

I'm really into Death Metal

************************************************** *************************

At the risk of being harsh...there is no such thing. We play the DRUMS. PERIOD. Rudiments are sticking patterns and are used in every facet of drumming whether you realize it of not. We play the DRUMS. It is not Rock drums, jazz drums, metal drums, C&W drums. Drums are a musical instrument. We play with a rhythmical pulse that supports and compliments the other instrumentalists in the band. The only factor that changes for us is the style of music we each desire to play and, once decided upon, we then turn the craft of playing our drums towards realizing that goal. I play Big Band jazz so, my particular approach to playing my drums will differ from those who play Heavy Metal Music. The binding consistency for all of us is that we PLAY THE DRUMS! I thank you