Thread: Sticking to Tradition?

User Info Menu

Default Sticking to Tradition?

I'm wondering how many of you guys stick to traditional rhythms and techniques when it comes to playing percussion instruments like congas, bongos, djembe, doumbek, etc? Many people will tell you there is a set traditional way to play congas etc. However at the same time I see professional musicians (by this I mean they get paid for playing music) hitting congas with sticks and mallets or I could see an entire show where the conga player doesn't play a single slap for instance. Does it make them any less of a percussionist? Obviously not, they are getting paid the big bucks, but I constantly hear ridicule and negative feedback for that type of playing.

I have a small aluminum doumbek that I got off ebay 5 or 6 years ago for like $13. It is without a doubt one of my favorite drums to play. However, I have zero knowledge of traditional doumbek rhythms or technique. I even hold the drum wrong, between my legs like a conga or djembe as opposed to under the arm. I've developed a pretty sweet finger roll technique that I like to use when playing this particular drum. I think it sounds great, and I constantly get compliments on my speed. However I could guarantee that a true doumbek player would hate all over my style.

What is everyones take on staying true to traditional roots of the instrument?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Sticking to Tradition?

Gretschhead, I think it's great to study the traditons of any instrument, because it gives the foundation for further exploration. Having said that though, I think it's great to create. As I am learning set, and hand drumming, I am also exploring things that I hear in my head, and I want to create the sounds that I hear. I think it is that desire that brings real creativity to anything. I say learn all that you can about the tradition of your instrument, and also let your creativity go brother! If someone looks down on you for it, that's their problem, not yours. Don't forget that all traditions began sometime.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Your post made me think about drumming in general. I think if you hit something and the sound is good and you're having fun with it and playing with others and making them happy as well, then, that's what counts. I think there are many ways to hit a drum, some technique is limiting for sure. But, I've seen some pretty messed up looking stick holding technique by some drummers that are light years ahead of where I am and where I'll ever be. As far as hitting a drum right or wrong; I would think it's only wrong if it doesn't sound good and you're not able to progress (get better) with it. Here's one: Have you ever played Tabla drums? That's another topic........
    Gary

User Info Menu

Good insight guys, Kona great point about Tablas. Tabla is a very traditional instrument and even has its own language. Theres no doubt in my mind that I could pull some cool sounds out of a set of tablas and make it sound good, but as far as playing it "correctly" I don't know the first thing.

Bata drumming is another one that less people are probably familure with. Bata, for those who don't know, is often times refered to as the "talking drum". These drums are not the african talking drums that you squeeze to change the pitch. By talking drum, I mean you have a conversation with them. There are 3 different size drums played by 3 people. Each person has their own part and there are certain calls that the lead drummer will play that can initiate a conversation with another drum, start or stop a certain movement, or que a solo. When playing batas like this, you pretty much have to know the traditional rhythms and know the calls and understand the conversations. Still, it is a shell with heads on it, and if you can hit it and produce a desireable sound then are you really playing it wrong??

Btw if anyone can find a teacher who has a set of Batas and is willing to teach, I would highly reccomend it to any hand drummer. It is a great way to learn how to play with other people, and it is a hell of a good timing/counting workout. Plus its a ton of fun to play and sounds amazing when all the parts fit together.

I would have to agree with PastorBob that it is best to learn traditional styles and technique if you can, it will show in your playing. But at the same time I think it is perfectly ok to just bang around on whatever drum you have if it brings you or others joy. Maybe my question should have been is it ok for "Professionals" to stray from tradition? Even this I think you really have to consider in what context is the instrument being played. Tough question, but I like the feedback.

User Info Menu

It's off your topic I know, but are you Gretschhead because you play Gretsch drums?
    Gary

User Info Menu

Yeah I play gretsch drums and ludwig supraphonic snares

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Sticking to Tradition?

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    I would have to agree with PastorBob that it is best to learn traditional styles and technique if you can, it will show in your playing. But at the same time I think it is perfectly ok to just bang around on whatever drum you have if it brings you or others joy. Maybe my question should have been is it ok for "Professionals" to stray from tradition? Even this I think you really have to consider in what context is the instrument being played. Tough question, but I like the feedback.
    Hey, Gretschhead, I'm not comfortable with guys playin' bongos and congas with sticks, but that's purely personal.

Like most drummers I know, I learned the rudiments but today 99 percent of what I do on the hand drums is a combination of the ruds and what I've heard and played before. And 99 percent of THAT has been influenced by the Latin and rock music that I love to listen to and play. For example, I use an extremely slow cha-cha beat on some of the slower hymns our church guitar group plays; it fits perfectly and it sounds cool without being obtrusive.

And on a livelier tune, I've snuck in licks from Santana and Jimmy Buffett which I've incorporated into my style of playing (right down to some wicked slaps on the quinto). As PB said, man, all tradition starts somewhere!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Good insight guys, Kona great point about Tablas. Tabla is a very traditional instrument and even has its own language. Theres no doubt in my mind that I could pull some cool sounds out of a set of tablas and make it sound good, but as far as playing it "correctly" I don't know the first thing.

A couple of years ago, Modern Drummer published monthly articles written by Steve Smith on how to play Tablas and the language for articulation. I am not a hand drummer so I wasn't very interested. I'm guessing that you can find something on line about this.
    Good Luck.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

In addition to playing latin percussion drums, I also play Polynesian percussion as well. If you've seen the log drums (Toere) from Tahiti, that's what I play. And Tahitian drumming seems like it would be similar to this Tabla drum. There are different "parts" that each drum speaks, to create the drum patterns. There are names for different beats as well as the different parts. In my opinion, it's important to know the basics or rudiments, and basic beats or patterns that were developed for that drum. As well as the names of those beats, so that we as musicians continue the traditions of those different cultural beats. Does that make sense??! On the other hand, I think it's perfectly fine once you've learned those basics, and your versed in the traditioinal aspects of that drum...then go ahead and improvise and create! that's why we make music! Learn the basics and take the instrument to another level...but be able to come back at any time and play what's culturally correct.

Aloha from da big island!!