Thread: why do i break some many sticks?

User Info Menu

Default why do i break some many sticks?

Ok i have tryed a number of stick like vic firth and zildjian and even tried different sizes and they keep breaking? its starting to get expensive. i like the sound of wooden sticks over metal ones but i want a stick that will last me more than a couple of days?

User Info Menu

Default Re: why do i break some many sticks?

Unless you are constantly playing rim shots on a snare with some die cast hoops, the problem is most likely how you are hitting the cymbals. I don't care what kind of music you play, there is NO reason to be going through sticks in a couple days like you claim. Slow down and take a look at your technique, or get another drummer to watch you as you play. Alot of times another observer can point out something you have no idea that you are doing. My guess is that you are catching too much of the edge of the cymbals, which not only reduces stick life, but also the life of your cymbals.

User Info Menu

Also check out your cymbals. Make sure they're loose on the stand, otherwise you've got more force from the cymbals being directed back to your sticks, which weakens them and eventually causes them to break.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

the answer is ahead sticks they cost $30, but they are not wood, so they can never break

User Info Menu

the answer is to stop hitting so hard ! there is no reason to be hitting so hard your sticks keep breaking. If you want it louder turn up the volume thats what the sound system if for.

User Info Menu

It's not about hitting hard. It's about hitting right.
    Check your grip. There could be something going on there.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

the answer is ahead sticks they cost $30, but they are not wood, so they can never break
    I see a future post "Why do I break so many cymbals?"

The sticks are not the problem here...

User Info Menu

If your putting a death grip on the sticks and not letting the stick bounce, it could be that. Maybe if you want more volume and your playing really hard you should move up to a larger stick size.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by 2slow View Post
    the answer is to stop hitting so hard ! there is no reason to be hitting so hard your sticks keep breaking. If you want it louder turn up the volume thats what the sound system if for.

I agree with this guy !

User Info Menu

it takes me up to two years to severely wear away a pair of Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride wood tip sticks. I use a pair for practice and a pair for performance. I am very careful to notice how I use the sticks on both drum and cymbals. Much of the wear ultimately will come from to many rim shots and hits with your sticks. If you are going through sticks as fast as you say, then you are simply bashing everything much to hard. Even if you need to Explode on the cymnbals, you can do so by using the shaft of the stick or the butt end and give the cymbals a glancing blow rather than direct on...this, BTW will prevent you from breaking up your cymbals.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post

A slight adjustment in the angles of both drums and cymbals can also help.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by mitchar19 View Post
    If your putting a death grip on the sticks and not letting the stick bounce, it could be that. Maybe if you want more volume and your playing really hard you should move up to a larger stick size.
    Welcome to Drum Chat Mitch!

I agree that it is probably the way the cymbals are being played. I've only broken 1 stick in 1 1/2 years, but I can see the wear on the shoulder of the stick. I have a tendency to play the hi-hat with the shoulder of the stick, so I get the wear. I'm trying to strike with the tip a bit more, and the wear is slowing down.

Also, how do you have your cymbals angled? If they're more flat, you will naturally strike the edge at an angle that could break your stick (or could crack the cymbal edge).

These are only random thoughts, though, so just think about your set up, and the way you play. I'll bet you'll find the problem.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Are you breaking your heads as quickly, too??

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    it takes me up to two years to severely wear away a pair of Vic Firth Peter Erskine Ride wood tip sticks. I use a pair for practice and a pair for performance. I am very careful to notice how I use the sticks on both drum and cymbals. Much of the wear ultimately will come from to many rim shots and hits with your sticks. If you are going through sticks as fast as you say, then you are simply bashing everything much to hard. Even if you need to Explode on the cymbals, you can do so by using the shaft of the stick or the butt end and give the cymbals a glancing blow rather than direct on...this, BTW will prevent you from breaking up your cymbals.
    I agree with you Frank, I just don't break sticks or cymbals and I use 7A's and I am known on occasion to really lay into my kit, but over all I just don't hit that hard directly. I too see no reason to pound the ever living crud out of my kit or cymbals. If you are habitually breaking sticks there has to be a technique problem or a set up problem, and it is not necessary to hit an earth shaking rim shot on every snare stroke.

User Info Menu

I posted this picture a few weeks ago on another forum making a joke that I rarely break any sticks and that these sticks were defective since they broke while playing a country ballad. These sticks were about 10 months old and are a jazz weight stick, between a 5A and 7A. You'll notice that there isn't much ware to the shoulder of the sticks, and I do a lot of rim shots.

Breaking sticks has a lot to do with technique, drum and cymbal set-up and the sticks themselves.

Dennis

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Drum View Post
    Ok i have tryed a number of stick like vic firth and zildjian and even tried different sizes and they keep breaking? its starting to get expensive. i like the sound of wooden sticks over metal ones but i want a stick that will last me more than a couple of days?
    You need to take a serious look at your setup, and your technique, mate.

User Info Menu

no i dont break heads at all i broke one before angd that was because it was getting really old. i think i know why i keep breaking them now its my cymbols becuase they flat not at an angle and i keep them up high to and i hit the edge of it and it kills my sticks.

User Info Menu

ya i agree i thought about it and it is the cymbals because i keep them flat on my stand not at an angle and i put them high put because i am really tall and have long arms and its a style i like. it could also be my technique to because i tought myself everything i know now so thats why i am getting lessons now but thanks for the help!!

User Info Menu

Congratulation, OC! Taking lessons will be the best thing you will ever do for yourself regards to playing the drums. Over the years, I've figured out how to sit and how high to elevate the drums and cymbals relative to my playing. It does take me a couple of years to break sticks and I am not shy about playing on my drums either. I've been at it for 48 years and so glad that I spent the first 6 of those years with an excellent drum Teacher and Mentor.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Glad you were able to find the problem O.C.Drum! What are you going to do with all the money you save? LOL
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post

HOLA como estas GRETSCHHEAD * MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) ITS BEEN DONE ALREADY *so your RIGHT *
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Drum View Post
    HOLA como estas O.C.DRUM MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT)*AMIGO ITS ALL within THE VERY ANCIENT DISCIPLINED ART of (TECHNIQUES) as THIS IS A VERY VERY ANCIENT SPIRITUAL ANCIENT ART FORM *THE ART of PERFORMING within A GRACEFULL *CONTROLED FINESSE Like A FEATHER(TOUCH) of SOLF-NESS *BUT within GREAT STRENGHTS *DYNAMICS *TEXTURED *WITHIN the INFINITE ARRAYS OF COLORS***DEEP WITHIN YOUR OWN UNIQUE AWARENESS to EXPRESSING YOUR DEEP PASSIONATE ARTISTRY*(SOUL) ,BUT like I always
    state WHAT ever works for THE CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST is ALL GREAT within their own UNIQUE JOURNEYS **BUT BREAKING STICKS all the TIME IS NOT AT ALL within My EXTREMMMMXXX OUT of the BOX SPIRITUAL ARTISTRY * GRACIAS
    Last edited by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON; 10-05-2008 at 01:11 AM.