Thread: Stick technique

User Info Menu

Default Stick technique

So after 2 years of playing the drums i realized i'm holding the drumstick wrong. I always wondered why i had so much fatigue, and i was always dropping sticks. I had the stick laying in the 2nd knuckle of my hand instead of the first, constantly played palm down and never really wrapped the rest of my fingers around the stick

so now i know the right way to hold the stick, (stick laying in first knuckle of finger, against soft of hand, 3 fingers wrapped around) only problem after 2 weeks i still cant play right, the sticks always seem to fall back into my 2nd knuckle, and if i tense up tight enough to keep them in my first knuckle i get hand fatigue

Not to mention it totally changed my wrist position so playing on the hihat is now extremely akward. and whenever i try something fast like 1/16ths my stick falls into mid-finger again.

I'm self taught so i never really learned proper technique, so any help would, well help me alot. thanks

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stick technique

One thing I was taught is to put the stick in your hand backwards(the butt on your index fingers. Then using your remaining fingers move the stick into your forearm. You can work rudiments to develop the strength and coordination. It seems to work for me.

User Info Menu

try holding the sticks over your head (forearms directly up with your thumbs pointing behind you and the sticks about 4 inched above the top of your head) with all your fingers wrapped around the stick correctly, release you fingers enough to let the stick drop then use fingers to bring it back up to make a stroke.

do it as often and as long as you can. it helped me develope my finger technique/speed/ control in a big way.
    Last edited by morrison_205; 09-29-2008 at 10:50 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by morrison_205 View Post
    try holding the sticks over your head (forearms directly up with your thumbs pointing behind you and the sticks about 4 inched above the top of your head) with all your fingers wrapped around the stick correctly, release you fingers enough to let the stick drop then use fingers to bring it back up to make a stroke.

do it as often and as long as you can. it helped me develope my finger technique/speed/ control in a big way.
    thats cool, seems to work really well

anybody else got any tips? if i have to start over from scratch im gona be pissed

User Info Menu

Bad news for you my friend!!
    Muscle memory is what you are experiencing, your hands are just doing what you have trained them to do thats why the sticks and wrists are slipping back into where you have trained them to go, I used to see sooooo many guy's with this issue who are self taught.
    Good news is you have only been doing it for two years, you will have to re train your hands and wrists to your new correct tecnique, and the past two years have not been completely wasted as you will be smooth with your beats and kick etc.
    I wish you all the best and stick at it, In 6 months you will be way ahead of where you are now. honestly, good luck.

WARNING to all newbies drummers!! IF you dont seek lessons/tecnique check up, from the very beginning this could be you.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Good Advice Rat....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    Bad news for you my friend!!
    Muscle memory is what you are experiencing, your hands are just doing what you have trained them to do thats why the sticks and wrists are slipping back into where you have trained them to go, I used to see sooooo many guy's with this issue who are self taught.
    Good news is you have only been doing it for two years, you will have to re train your hands and wrists to your new correct tecnique, and the past two years have not been completely wasted as you will be smooth with your beats and kick etc.
    I wish you all the best and stick at it, In 6 months you will be way ahead of where you are now. honestly, good luck.

WARNING to all newbies drummers!! IF you dont seek lessons/tecnique check up, from the very beginning this could be you.
    alright, since i made this thread ive been practicing holding the sticks, banging on my legs whenever i can (damn school)

i'm really shocked at how fast i'm picking up the new stick technique. already feels so much more comfortable and natural even though its so new to me

i really wish i learned to hold them the right way though :( lessoned learned though.

User Info Menu

Find yourself a good teacher...there's a whole lot more to playing the drums.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by seanforever View Post
    alright, since i made this thread ive been practicing holding the sticks, banging on my legs whenever i can (damn school)

i'm really shocked at how fast i'm picking up the new stick technique. already feels so much more comfortable and natural even though its so new to me

i really wish i learned to hold them the right way though :( lessoned learned though.
    Thats good news buddy. keep at it , and see franks post below!! thems true words right there.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

IMHO, even if someone couldn't afford to go long term on lessons, just getting a couple of months under your belt would be of great value. I worked with my teacher for 8 months, and then I got sick, and then too busy, so I've been away from lessons for awhile now. The lessons that I did get have allowed me to refine what I already know, and I am learning some more things on my own until I can get back to the lessons (I progressed faster under lessons - I like being accountable to someone, and the pat on the back is nice too). Being self taught is not a bad thing, but we all learn in different ways, and having a teacher, even if you don't go long term, is a valuable resource - just like Drum Chat.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Once you get your grip sorted out, LEARN PUSH PULL! It's easy. It builds up finger strength. It's a completely different way of playing.
    Push pull is hard to master, and I'm not even close to it, but it's easy to grasp and easy to play with. It'll help so much, mainly because it's dependent on having the correct grip.
    hope that helps.
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...