Thread: drums to sobriety

User Info Menu

Default drums to sobriety

Please bare with as this may be a little long.

I'm a 19 years old male and ever since i was in junior high, i was fascinated with drums, although i never had the money/motivation to go out and get one. I have an addiction for a certain drug and it' really eating me up day by day. I became lazy and unmotivated and became a social outcast. I got to the point where i didnt want to talk to anyone and just wanted to be alone. I started lacking confidence and wasn't socially active as i used to be. I'm hoping that this 'hobby' turns into something more than just that. I wan't to really be driven and inspired and hopefully become sober. I'am new to the drum world and want to be inspired by everyone on this forum. I'm hoping to buy a beginners drum kit at my local music store but have no clue what it is i need. I went to the store and they are selling a starter kit for $399 CND. Please critique the drumset i'm planning on getting and please share any stories that can motivate/inspire me about your drumming experience (how you got started, why, how you learned, etc.).

Thanks

User Info Menu

Wow, that's a heavy testimony. I cetainly wish you well.

User Info Menu

"where there is a will the is a way"

good luck with this the set your looking at is a decent starter kit if you're low on cash...i stared out on one just like it...i mean same price range and everything....it'll last you about a year and a half ..by then you should be ready for a real entry level kit
    i started drumming for fun and to be diffrent...my 8th grade year all the rockers where like yea i'm learning to play guitar..and being the non conformist that i am i wanted to play drums...two years later i can honestly say it has COMPLETELY changed meh life
    PRACTICE SAFE BANGING!!! play drums! My Pearl Session Kit

User Info Menu

Welcome Addiction is a tuff beast to beat, but it can be done. Definately find a home group and sponsor. The set looks pretty good for a starters in that is basically complete. One thing I have found in sobriety, is that I have much more money than I thought I ever did. If the same if true for you( I see no reason why it wouldn't ) and you really enjoy playing, you will be able to upgrade in no time. Find a program and stick with it. I wish you the best of luck.

Keith

User Info Menu

great to have you here...stick around awhile......this forum helps so many people in so many ways....if you are serious about playing drums and quiting your addiction then i say you can....just stick with it...good luck

User Info Menu

Thumbs up drums to sobriety

Hey, 1truepnoy...the fact you've acknowledged there's a problem is the first step. It may be the oldest cliche in the book...but it's true. Like kromberg says, get with a 12-step group and get a sponsor...someone who'll hold you accountable for staying clean and sober.

I'm not familiar with that particular make of drums, but they look like they'd be at least a good starter set...

And, as Utopia says, there are a lot of brother and sister drummers on this forum who'll help you in more ways than one. Welcome aboard...you've taken the first steps to help...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

hey man, welcome to the forums, good luck kickin the habit, i've never been adictied to anything so i don't know, but i'm guessing it must be really hard
    "Bow Down To The Almighty Bunghole!"