Thread: Istanbul Cymbals

User Info Menu

Default Istanbul Cymbals

maybe stickwizzarddragon can help me here... i'm getting interested in the istanbul cymbals but don't know much about them. also i saw there's the mehmet company and the agop one. what's the difference?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Istanbul Cymbals

Quote Originally Posted by jack's_art View Post
    maybe stickwizzarddragon can help me here... i'm getting interested in the istanbul cymbals but don't know much about them. also i saw there's the mehmet company and the agop one. what's the difference?
    HOLA como estas JAKS_ART MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) *HEREis SOME INFO*IN reguards to some GREAT
    KNOWLEDGE of THE ISTANBUL ROJO CALIENTE CYMBALS****I really LOVE THESE ISTANBULS AND ALL MY BOSPHORS & MASTERWORK* & TRX *
    I do use MANY CYMBAL BRANDS * BUT these ARE JUS TSO ROJO CALIENTE AMIGO* I hope that this INFOO HELPS GRACIAS
    __________________________________________________ ______________
    At the age of nine Mehmet Tamdeğer started to work for Mikhail Zilcan, grandson of Kerope Zildcan. Mikhail Zilcan and Kirkor Küçükyan taught them every aspect of this ancient Turkish art. Based on a history that stems back to the early 17th century.

When Mehmet Tamdeğer and Agop Tomurcuk founded the İstanbul Cymbal Company in the early 1980’s, they had over three decades of cymbal making experience. Mehmet and Agop named their company after the city that has been home to the epitome of high quality cymbals for many, many years: Istanbul.

After Agop Tomurcuk’s unexpected death in July 1996, Mehmet decided to continue the production of cymbals under his own name İstanbul Mehmet. A lot has changed since then, but his belief in the richness and the character of a handmade cymbal will always remain. Machines don’t have ears. That’s why we contiue to make our cymbals according to the ancient tradition - with an open eye towards the music that’s being made now, and in the future
    __________________________________________________ _____________

The art of Turkish cymbal making dates back to the 16th century; the time of the Ottoman Empire. The very first cymbals manufactured in Turkey were actually bells, created for the use in churches. Later on, as the story goes, cymbals were produced for the Ottoman Army band. In 20th century, it had become a well-known fact that Istanbul, Turkey had evolved into the cymbal making capital of the world. Generations of master cymbalsmiths developed, refined and redefined this art in their endless search for perfection. They formulated the most musical alloy, developed and tested hand crafted methods which have been used for centuries. As the 20th century drew towards its close, the traditional Turkish method for hand crafting cymbals had all but been abandoned due to the efficiencies and mass production facility provided by machines. In 1980, the very first Istanbul Cymbals began to enter the market place and the drummers around the world took notice immediately. What they heard and what they saw was the work of our founder, Agop Tomurcuk, who had been developing his skills since the age of 9 and had worked at the original K factory in Istanbul as the foreman until the factory''s closure in 1978. He started this new venture in 1980, with his partner Mehmet Tamdeger under the name ‘Zilciler'. Shortly thereafter, the legendary name Istanbul was founded.

In the following years, the name of the brand; ‘Istanbul Cymbals' became glorious for creating those unique and classic sounds. During those years, we also developed many completely original, inimitable, cutting-edge designs, while we were still employing the traditional methods. Many of these inventive designs are in our production-line today, such as Turk, Sultan, Vezir, Empire, Ottoman and Pasha. In 1996 Agop Tomurcuk passed away prematurely because of a tragic accident. At this point the company was being pulled in two separate directions. It was determined that the company must be split. Agop' s sons; Arman and Sarkis continued their way by following the footsteps of their father and Mehmet was free to run his own separate company as he saw fit. Arman and Sarkis Tomurcuk were ready to bring their own fresh ideas by using their experience which they had gained in many years in the business, while they were still being loyal to the tradition. Both companies would have had the benefit of the well-respected ‘Istanbul' name but it was distinguished by the clauses ‘Agop' and ‘Mehmet', which can be seen on respective logos.In the 21st century, the art of cymbal making mentioned with the name Istanbul Agop, as it is one of the few firms which manufacture hand-made cymbals for generations. We have recently introduced the Agop Signature Series, a tribute to our founder. By being consistent to the mentality of integrating new, cutting-edge designs with age old handcrafting techniques, we have introduced many different models. ISTANBUL AGOP is proud to celebrate the 25th anniversary of traditional cymbal making, as the story goes on.

Play the original.

Play Istanbul Agop.

User Info Menu

so they're basically the same?

User Info Menu

HOLA como estas JACKS_ART MI AMIGO CRETIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) SI (YES) GRACIAS WELL worht THE BUCKS *I know that THEY are EXPENSIVE BUT THEN SO ARE ALL THE HOTTEST JEWELS LIKE DIAMONDS RUBYS EMERALDS PEARLS * *GRACIAS AMIGO

User Info Menu

Istanbul cymbals are awesome! They are generally cheaper than other high end cymbals of similar quality ie: Zildjian Ks or Sabian HH, Istanbul sound better in my opinion. Agop and Mehmet are basically the same, they might have a few differences in the models they offer, but the alloys and hand hammering method are the same.

User Info Menu

They are now 2 different companies I believe.

User Info Menu

I have played the AGOP....
    They're basically awesome....
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

yep, I agree, I'm about to change my wishlist for my cymbals. I am planning to upgrade somewhere next year my cymbals and wanted to go with the Zildjian A's, I am really in doubt since I heard the Istanbuls. They sound incredible.
    • Crush Limited Reserve Wenge
    • DW Collectors
    • Sakae Pac-D
    • Roland TD-9
    • Zildjian K/A Cymbals
    • Crush, DW, Pork Pie, Trick Snares
    • MAY Sennheiser, Audio Technica Internal Mics
    • Gibraltar 9600 hardware
    • Protection Racket/RoadRunner Touring cases

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Pearldrummer View Post
    yep, I agree, I'm about to change my wishlist for my cymbals. I am planning to upgrade somewhere next year my cymbals and wanted to go with the Zildjian A's, I am really in doubt since I heard the Istanbuls. They sound incredible.
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo PEARLDRUMMER CREATIVE ARTISTIC
    OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) within alot of AWARE-NESS WISDOM KNOWLEDGE *FORSURE the ISTANBULS are AMAZING ROJO CALIENTE CYMBALS You should also CHECK out the BOSPHORUS AND THE MASTERWORK which all these are TURKISH HAND MADE VERY ROJO CALIENTE amigo take your time really LISTEN just take your time amigo
    GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    HOLA como estas JACKS_ART MI AMIGO CRETIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST (CAT) SI (YES) GRACIAS WELL worht THE BUCKS *I know that THEY are EXPENSIVE BUT THEN SO ARE ALL THE HOTTEST JEWELS LIKE DIAMONDS RUBYS EMERALDS PEARLS * *GRACIAS AMIGO
    Hahaahahahah...Good point!!!
    Signature here

User Info Menu

I have played the Mehmet line on my previous drum teachers kits many times. I absolutely love them. almost all of my cymbals are vintage Zildjian A, and to my ears these fit right in with that great sound.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have all vintage A Zindjians on my old Luddy vistas and new Ks on my Gretsch Renown. I was hearing a lot about the Istanbuls and tried some, very impressed, I bought an Istambul Agop 18" Mel Lewis crash/ride. Very rich sound but slightly trashy. It fits beautifully with the Ks and is about 30% cheaper. I urge anyone to give them a try; you will like em.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Gretschhead View Post
    Istanbul cymbals are awesome! They are generally cheaper than other high end cymbals of similar quality ie: Zildjian Ks or Sabian HH, Istanbul sound better in my opinion. Agop and Mehmet are basically the same, they might have a few differences in the models they offer, but the alloys and hand hammering method are the same.
    Really? less money? I was lovin my K's and actually had plans to replicate my prior array of K customs, Hybrids, etc. So you think Istanbul is worth a look? -Les

User Info Menu

These are my Istanbul AGOPs: Mel Lewis Signature 21" Big Band Ride and Mel Lewis Signature 14" Hi-Hats. They have a sound quality reminiscent of the early K's...dark, articulate and dry with a little bit if wash. The Big Band ride has two sizzles which give it a bit of a trashy quality that is ideal with my big band.

There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by fiacovaz View Post
    These are my Istanbul AGOPs: Mel Lewis Signature 21" Big Band Ride and Mel Lewis Signature 14" Hi-Hats. They have a sound quality reminiscent of the early K's...dark, articulate and dry with a little bit if wash. The Big Band ride has two sizzles which give it a bit of a trashy quality that is ideal with my big band.

HOLA como estas Mi amigo FIACOVAZ FRANK CREATIVE ARTISTI OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) within gret wisdom aware-ness KNOWLEDGE **EXCELLENTE ROJO CALIENTE amigo *AS I really Love ALL My ISTANBULS just like you amigo GRACIAS

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by STICKSWIZZARDDRAGON View Post
    HOLA como estas Mi amigo FIACOVAZ FRANK CREATIVE ARTISTI OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) within gret wisdom aware-ness KNOWLEDGE **EXCELLENTE ROJO CALIENTE amigo *AS I really Love ALL My ISTANBULS just like you amigo GRACIAS
    HUH.. now I gotta find a retailer to at least check these out when the time comes to upgrade! -Les
    Are there thin/med thin/med. etc weights or are they sold by weight like say Dream cymbals.. What's the difference between AGOP and Mehmet series??
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 12-04-2008 at 09:43 PM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Lesizmor View Post
    HUH.. now I gotta find a retailer to at least check these out when the time comes to upgrade! -Les
    Are there thin/med thin/med. etc weights or are they sold by weight like say Dream cymbals.. What's the difference between AGOP and Mehmet series??

I found mine at cymbalsonly.com

I don't know of a retailer that has them...at least not where I live. They are sold by gram weight. You can download an mp3 of any cymbal and listen.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

lesizmor: the istanbuls are definitely worth to check out. the mehmet and agops are 2 different companies.

User Info Menu

lesizmor: the istanbuls are definitely worth to check out. the mehmet and agops are 2 different companies.
    HOLA como Estas Mi amigo JADCK'S_ART CRETIVE aRTISTIC OPEN MINDED DRUMMER ARTIST YOUNG-CAT WITHIN alot of AWARE-NESS
    WISDOM KNOWLEDGE *Mi amigo I also use MASTERWORK WHICH ARE TURKISH HAND HAMMERED & THESE ARE FORSURE UP their with BOSPHORUS
    & ISTANBULS AND THE SAME WITH TRX* both COMPANYS MADE EXQUISITE
    MUY BIEN ROJO CALIENTE CYMBALS** GRACIAS as I own al (3) BRANDS

User Info Menu

Huh.. I thought Agop and Mehmet were both Istanbul. Just different series.
    I'm gonna do some more research. -Les Got it. Just read the entire thread now.
    Last edited by Lesizmor; 12-05-2008 at 06:22 AM.