Thread: Recording Drums?

User Info Menu

Default Recording Drums?

I want to start recording stuff with my band (band is a bit of a stretch lol) and I was wondering what mics/mixers/techniques you giys recommend. So, I was wondering what would be the best budget mics to record a 7-piece kit (pdp x7, I hope I get it!). Thanks in advance!

---------
    Drum Recording

User Info Menu

Default Re: Recording Drums?

Honestly the easiest way to record drums at home is with an electronic kit. It sounds clean and get's good results for a home studio. If that's not an option a lot of people use shure sm 57's for toms, a condensor microphone overhead for cymbals and a kick mic for the kick. Then you just run your mics to a mixer board and preamp.

User Info Menu

Depending on your budget, you can pick up a set of drum mics for a couple of hundred dollars on line. If you know little about the recording process it may be easier & cheaper to use a small studio, plus the end product should be good!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Superlux makes some pretty cheap and decent mic kits that don't cost much. They're supposidly modeled after the Shure mics. It was there top af the line kits when I last checked (DRK's)

Quality cables are a must for noise free, clean recordings though.

As far as recording the way you want to record will determine of you want to go through a mixer or DAW, I personally like analog then mix down in DAW's. That'll get expensive though. You can also record live directly from a mixer in stereo which with mixers nowadays can be pretty cheap. A good quality electro set can get just as expensive as the PDP, mic kit and mixer alltogether if you buy budget equipment.