Thread: Jobs with drums

User Info Menu

Default Jobs with drums

I am looking for a job where i can play, fix or just help people with drumming. i was also was looking at a drum tech but i dont know what schooling i would need to be a dru tech. any suggestions?

User Info Menu

Default Re: Jobs with drums

Play: Just get out there and join a band. You've got to be able to hold your own first.

Fix: Learn to work on drums first. If you know something about what you're doing, go out there and knock on the doors of some of the music stores and see if they need some help.

Tech: You've got to prove you're somewhat of an expert. You need to know tuning and maintenance "very" well. You've got to know the different drums, they're characteristics, tonal qualities, etc. It helps to live in a big city where the need for techs really exists.

Help People with Drumming: If you know your craft you can teach in music stores or community centers or colleges.

User Info Menu

Drummer, you said it all.
    I learned drums just so I can have another chance at playing music for a living. It's a very bumpy road to travel, but the scenery is amazing.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Jobs with drums

Quote Originally Posted by O.C.Drum View Post
    I am looking for a job where i can play, fix or just help people with drumming. i was also was looking at a drum tech but i dont know what schooling i would need to be a dru tech. any suggestions?
    drummer nailed the basics, but these might flesh them out for you.

PLAY: It's a cliche, bro', but you gotta network. Talk with other musicians (not necessarily drummers) and find out what's out there. If there's a bulletin board at your music store, put up your info and a way to contact you. And even if aren't playing in a band, practice, practice, practice...and if you can find a guitarist or keyboard player to jam with, that's even better since you work on your chops and have fun with it!

I caught the ear of a department manager at a Guitar Center when I was jammin' on congas with a total stranger who was playing an E-kit, and he was pleased to see I was familiar with hand drums. Nothing has developed there yet, but it could, since he acknowledged none of the other drum people knew or played hand drums...

It may take a while, but don't give up...

FIX: Don't know how much experience you have fixing drums, but if you're comfortable working with your own kit (tuning, replacing heads, etc.), you're already a step ahead.

TECH: Only thing I can add to drummer's points is that if you land a job servicing drums, you may pick up additional information from a particular drum manufacturer...kinda like a car mechanic who works for a Chevy dealer and gets regular training on Chevrolet vehicles.

HELP PEOPLE WITH DRUMMING: If you're a regular at a particular drum shop, chat with the owner or manager; he might have links to a school or college. Don't overlook volunteer opportunities, such as working with children or senior citizens, or assisting a therapist (music therapy is growing increasingly popular for physical therapists, and if you have experience with hand drums, that's a plus).

Best of luck, O.C.!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

To be a Drum Tech, you will need to establish a rep as a drummer who knows how to tune his own drums so that others will ask that you tune theirs. That means a lot of time, patience and experimenting with many different sizes and makes of drum heads.

Most retail music stores probably don't tune any of the floor model drum sets...it invites "Shoppers" to bang on the drums and those heads don't come free. You will have to network with store oqners and/or drum "pros" on their floors to do some "Clinics" on proper tuning/maintenance for them and their customers. It's not going to be an easy road. Also, get to know their staff instructors as well.

It goes without saying that you will also have to be a "Gigging" drummer. It's that performance experience that will motivate your desire to be a Drum Tech. You will have to know how your drums sound in varying locations. As you do this, you will also need to get out and listen to other bands abd drummers. Get to know the local "Sound men." Let them know who you are and what you can do and what you want to do. These folks can be your best resource and reference.

Would also suggest you visit area school music teachers and band directors. Most of them have no idea about Drums and how to work with them. You may be able to work with drumlines and jazz ensemble drummers, helping them to know more about their kits and how to handle the various styles of music. Actually, this last idea...school music teachers...might be the easier way to go about establishing the "Rep" you need.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Excellent post, Frank.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Bish View Post
    Excellent post, Frank.
    Ditto that Bish!

User Info Menu

study your craft really hard, go to drum school, total dedication is what you will need if ya wanna become a tech, session guy, or top teacher.
    have fun buddy.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

i have been trying get by playing drums full time for about a year, but it ain't easy. i am almost making a living between playing live with a blues band and a classic rock cover band, hosting an open mic jam once a week, and giving private lessons and clinics at a place called the live music institute in topeka KS. between all these things i am easily working 40 hrs a week...and barely squeaking by.

User Info Menu

I might go in remembering that odds are it won't happen, and have a fall-back position preparing for the cliched "fallback" career that you wouldn't mind doing. It's better than going back to college in your late 20's after the music thing fizzled and you have a fam to support. I know your parents are probably saying the same thing, and you don't want to hear it, but the reality is that you have a better chance at winning the lottery than making a living in the music business.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    I might go in remembering that odds are it won't happen, and have a fall-back position preparing for the cliched "fallback" career that you wouldn't mind doing. It's better than going back to college in your late 20's after the music thing fizzled and you have a fam to support. I know your parents are probably saying the same thing, and you don't want to hear it, but the reality is that you have a better chance at winning the lottery than making a living in the music business.
    i think that has alot to do with a players skill, devotion, and outlook on what they want to do musically. if i could straight SIGHT read, i would get more jobs. work is out there as long as you are not set on being the next big drummer in the next big band. there is studio work to be had in most major cities. more and more churches are paying musicians to play services. local theater groups also pay. a cruise ship will work your butt off. a school band teacher is "making a living in music". so the odds of becoming a rock star might be comparable to the lottery, but a decent living playing music is obtainable with a good education and a professional mindset.

as for going back to school in your 20s. i resent that remark i'm 35 with 4 kids, and as soon as my wife (38) graduates this fall, i will be taking some courses myself to better my chart reading and so on.
    i think it is good advice to have a fallback plan, but if you dont devote yourself fully to music, your chances of going to to the fallback are great.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=funkymcstain;117725]i think that has alot to do with a players skill, devotion, and outlook on what they want to do musically. if i could straight SIGHT read, i would get more jobs. work is out there as long as you are not set on being the next big drummer in the next big band. there is studio work to be had in most major cities. more and more churches are paying musicians to play services. local theater groups also pay. a cruise ship will work your butt off. a school band teacher is "making a living in music". so the odds of becoming a rock star might be comparable to the lottery, but a decent living playing music is obtainable with a good education and a professional mindset.

as for going back to school in your 20s. i resent that remark i'm 35 with 4 kids, and as soon as my wife (38) graduates this fall, i will be taking some courses myself to better my chart reading and so on.
    i think it is good advice to have a fallback plan, but if you dont devote yourself fully to music, your chances of going to to the fallback are great.[/QUO
    HOLA como estas FUNKYMCSTAIN Mi amigo CREATIVE ARTISTIC
    ARTIST DRUMMER (CAT) EXCELLENTE' * ITS NEVER to LATE TO GAIN AMAZING KNOWLEDGE *I make A GREAT LIVEING within THIS AMAZING BIZ
    I have been around THIS PLANET (WORLD) 4-times PERFORMING PLUS
    ALOT of LONG YEARS within the STUDIOS *AND ALL the ENTERTAINMENT
    WORLD ***ARTIST do not have To BE SOME SUPER STARR *JUST BEYOND AMAZING PASSION *FOR ANY thing Within EVERY THING * GRACIAS