Thread: Prepare To Flame Me

User Info Menu

Default Prepare To Flame Me

At Saturdays show they had a Pearl Reference for a back line kit. I was all smiles when I saw that purple beauty on stage. But....
    I know it was all the tuning, but what a dead sounding POS. The guy who owned the kit couldnt tune to save his life. The Evans Hydro's didnt help matters either. When I pulled out my tuning key the guy told me "dont touch the tuning the drums sound great" So I took his "awesome snare" (ST Dry and a Moongel) and handed it to him and pulled out mine.
    You could hear him walking away muttering about "who the heck does he think he is....."
    The soundman thanked me.

Oh yeah his Paragons sounded pretty good as well.

User Info Menu

Default Re: Prepare To Flame Me

NR- No betcha! Can't get flamed for that... It's strange to see such a vast difference with tuning and a tuners ear... I went thru the exact thing not too terribly long ago with a Pearl kit. Not that that's the issue... It was pure tuning and head issues. But, Ironically this guy said the exact thing to me... No man, I just checked everything and they're fine..?
    Q-Would you buy another one if it were stolen?
    A-Well yeah... But, I'd probly turn into a homicidal maniac first!

User Info Menu

Sometimes, you've just gotta do what you're just gotta do. To bad the kit owner had such an ego. He might have learned something.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    At Saturdays show they had a Pearl Reference for a back line kit. I was all smiles when I saw that purple beauty on stage. But....
    I know it was all the tuning, but what a dead sounding POS. The guy who owned the kit couldnt tune to save his life. The Evans Hydro's didnt help matters either. When I pulled out my tuning key the guy told me "dont touch the tuning the drums sound great" So I took his "awesome snare" (ST Dry and a Moongel) and handed it to him and pulled out mine.
    You could hear him walking away muttering about "who the heck does he think he is....."
    The soundman thanked me.

You did the right thing in exactly the right way. Hydraulic heads are the worst I have ever played on...dead, dull and no tone what so ever. However, they are out there for a very select few who aspire to that type of sound and playing. I suspect, since you had your snare drum with you, you've been through this before. That's a lesson learned well.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

Anytime Im playing a backline I always bring my snare, snarestand, pedals and cymbals.

User Info Menu

Anytime Im playing a backline I always bring my snare, snarestand, pedals and cymbals.
    Yep, that is the minimum...I might even bring my throne, just in case.
    Signature here

User Info Menu

i flame thee!

User Info Menu

betcha didnt even wanna do a tom fill if they were that bad eh!! never leave home without snare pedal and hats , ever.
    I woulda tweaked the toms after each song too. that woulda showed him. he would hardly have run on stage during your set.
    No flaming here buddy, I pat ya on the back.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I run into this with a lot of 1970's players - hydraulic heads with deadringers and moongel, a huge pillow in the kick, and the front head removed - Sometimes cymbals taped up.. The drums are deader than MC Hammer's career and sound awful. Was there really a whole freakin' decade 30 years ago when drums sounded so godawful?

One player had hydraulics top and bottom and deadringers - ON HIS SNARE DRUM! Hitting my coffee table sounded better!

Why spend so much on beautiful-sounding drums and then just KILL them with all that muffling and moongel? Learn to tune them right to get a true tone out of them, and learn how to PLAY SOFTLY. You don't need 5B's in a tiny Coffeehouse.
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Too bad you couldn't TUNE his EGO!

User Info Menu

Nothing wrong with it mate...
    I aways bring my snare, and tune the tom myself...
    And the soundman never arguing like that....

@BLD : yeph you're soo true...
    My Kit :
    TAMA Imperialstar Midnight Blue
    REMO Encore Heads....
    Meinl Cowbell
    16" Zildjian Avedis Thin Crash
    16" Paiste Alpha Medium Crash
    20" Meinl Rakes Medium Ride
    14" Paiste 3000 Rude Hi-Hat
    8" PST-5 Splash
    6" Meinl Classic Splash
    10" WUHAN S series Splash
    16" ZHT EFX
    17" Stagg China
    P122 Double bass pedal

User Info Menu

Dude how can you honestly think you are going to get flamed for that? That is the exact thing anyone who plays on other peoples drums goes through. It sounds like that guy didn't know what he was doing and you couldn't do anything about it. If the soundman thanked you then it wasn't just you so I agree with BLD on this one.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Prepare To Flame Me

Thru Constant Years Of Roadwork IN NEW ORLEANS....I Only Carried My Own Drums Maybe 12 Times,the Rest Oif The Time I Carried My Ride Cymbal,bass Drum Pedal And Stickbag...and My Trusty 1964 Ludwig Drumkey Was On My Keyring As My Saviour And Lifesaver....I Had No Idea If The Exsisting Kits Were Top Of Da Line (sometimes)or A Set Of Cardboard Boxes.When we walked into a club or concert hall...the Challenge Was The Touch To Pull The Sound Out To Make It Fit(somehow) Whether It Was Freddy Fender Or Phunky Club Music Nawlins Style....in Many Cases Its What You Didnt Play That Mattered Most.
    Never Forget Music And Drumming (in Its Animalistic Form) Is Still An Art And We Its Channel Of Expression
    "FEEL DA GROOVE & PLAY IT FORWARD..."

"BEAUTY IS IN THE EARS OF THE BEHOLDER ,
    ENJOY IT ALL,,, MY BROTHERS & SISTERS"

COMMANDER & CHIEPH OF
    "PHROGGE'S AQUARIAN ARMY"

LEGEND IN MY OWN MIND
    & FORCE BEHIND DA
    "PHX AZ LEGEND OF DA ZYDECO GROOVE VEST"
    (AND OTHER TOYZ) INCLUDING PIZZABOX SNARE DRUM

IT'S ALL ABOUT DA SHOW !!!!!

User Info Menu

Tricky one the DC-ers. True putting such heads on a top line kit and killing everything with moon gel or tape is a real shame - Drums need to sing to sound there best!
    But we all have our own sound that we like and I have lots count of the amount of kits I have used that sound truly terrible to my ear.

One thing to consider - how would you respond if you thought your kit sounded brililant but another drummer wanted to retune its as he didn't like your sound. Would you tell them where to go? I would - your drum sound is a personal thing.

Still the drummer with the References needs a good talking to. how could you kill a kit like that dead - its like squeezing the life out of them!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

I agree with Dustin on this one. If it was a house kit the all bets are off but if it is someones personal kit the I will not touch a thing just as I would not want someone doing it to my kit. I was in a band that hosted a regular Thursday Blues jam. At first I was using my DW kit. I told every player " this is not a house kit it is mine, please do not move are adjust anything and treat it with respect' I was still a nervous wreck, I have Zildjian As I bought when I was 16, that was 30+ years ago.

I did eventually go to a pawn shop and got a Remo Acusticon kit and put some Paiste CST3 cymbals on it. Then I could relax and not worry about it any more.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Just to clear things up, I didnt just start turning lugs, I pulled out my key and gave him the "May I?" look. I've been around long enough to always ask.

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Prepare To Flame Me

Quote Originally Posted by TURTLINATOR View Post
    Dude how can you honestly think you are going to get flamed for that? That is the exact thing anyone who plays on other peoples drums goes through. It sounds like that guy didn't know what he was doing and you couldn't do anything about it. If the soundman thanked you then it wasn't just you so I agree with BLD on this one.
    Makes two of us (AT LEAST!)...you handled it well, NR...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Like the new avatar BB!
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

The soundman thanked me.

Nao NR... not a flame but a frame... A portrait for the hall of bards

User Info Menu

Just to clear things up, I didnt just start turning lugs, I pulled out my key and gave him the "May I?" look. I've been around long enough to always ask.
    I was not suggesting otherwise dude!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by =^-..-^= View Post
    I run into this with a lot of 1970's players - hydraulic heads with deadringers and moongel, a huge pillow in the kick, and the front head removed - Sometimes cymbals taped up.. The drums are deader than MC Hammer's career and sound awful. Was there really a whole freakin' decade 30 years ago when drums sounded so godawful?

One player had hydraulics top and bottom and deadringers - ON HIS SNARE DRUM! Hitting my coffee table sounded better!

Why spend so much on beautiful-sounding drums and then just KILL them with all that muffling and moongel? Learn to tune them right to get a true tone out of them, and learn how to PLAY SOFTLY. You don't need 5B's in a tiny Coffeehouse.
    i know this guy all too well

hydraulics on a beautiful reference kit is unexcusable and pointless.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Dustin View Post

One thing to consider - how would you respond if you thought your kit sounded brililant but another drummer wanted to retune its as he didn't like your sound. Would you tell them where to go? I would - your drum sound is a personal thing.
    This one depends on whether the drummer who is more experienced than I am - especially in the studio, and has my respect, or if it's a metalhead kid who's been playing six months.

You are right, though; when I take my kit to the local coffeehouse for open jam, I say it's leave the kit and the tuning ALONE!

I had a drummer who is very skilled fill for me in on my kit at church, and he made little attempt to put my drum settings back where they were. When I came back and attempted to tweak them back into place at practice, it was like someone else had been sleeping in my bed - just. . . eeewwwww!
    And the trees are all kept equal by hatchet, axe, and saw. . .

User Info Menu

Pearl Reference with Evans Hydros
    That's like getting a Ferrari and running it on gin.

Or having an Indian wife and never asking her to cook up a nice Vindaloo.

Or opening a jar of Nutella and spreading it on the carpet.
    Finnegans Quake, a.k.a. my Ufip-laden Tamburo kit
    The Sound and the Fury, a.k.a. my Ufip-laden Oaks
    Translating W. S. Burroughs is like gazing at the stars while lying in a heap of manure.

User Info Menu

I can't come up with a single reason to use hydraulic heads on anything. I had a set on my bass drums in the 80s but that was in then.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Hydraulics can serve their purpose on low-end kits with awkward overtones that can't be bypassed through mere tuning. Nothing much else, I'd guess.
    Finnegans Quake, a.k.a. my Ufip-laden Tamburo kit
    The Sound and the Fury, a.k.a. my Ufip-laden Oaks
    Translating W. S. Burroughs is like gazing at the stars while lying in a heap of manure.