Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taping your sticks pre-emptively

User Info Menu

Default Taping your sticks pre-emptively

I go through my sticks pretty quickly. It's not so much that I have a terrible technique, it's mainly because I like to hit the hard parts of my kit. I like the sound of rimshots and I like to hit my cymbals on the edge every now and again.

I haven't really had the time or cash to invest in some new sticks over the last few weeks, so I just taped the crap out of some that where split, and they're almost as good as new - just slightly less responsive and a little heavier.

The thing is, a stick that's been broken and then covered in tape, tends to last me longer then a new stick. So I was wondering, does anybody tape their sticks before they break - so that they don't break? Or would it be a waste of time...

User Info Menu

Default Re: Taping your sticks pre-emptively

When I was strapped for cash, I would do this on my "solo" practice sticks, as generally they got the most use anyway, and kept seperate sets for band practice, and gigs.

I would use medical/sports tape, and do like 1-2 layers. They kinda got gunky after awhile, and sometimes gunked the rims/cymbold, but nothing too bad to clean up.

Like you Im kinda a big fan of playing the rims.

User Info Menu

I used gaffer tape around the shanks years ago. It certainly worked for me at the time!
    Dustin Lee Burgess
    Northfleet, England
    mapex mafia & paiste posse

User Info Menu

The problem is the sticky blotches it leaves on the heads and cymbals
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I never tape my sticks. It makes them unbalanced and I always feel it. I rarely break drumsticks, even when I play extremely hard.

User Info Menu

The sticks I tape are my cool rods. I will tape the center of the stick and a little on the ends to tighten them up a bit.

User Info Menu

I always taped my sticks with electrical tape ,about an inch below the tip , just over-lap the tape for about 4-5 inches and they last a long time .

I will break out a new pair for gigs. .

User Info Menu

The first pair of drumsticks i got were given to me by my drum teacher and he had taped them. However he had also written left and right on them...

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Taping your sticks pre-emptively

I'm with drummer on this one...taping them pre-emptively makes them feel off-balance IMHO. One thing I have done for minor scuffs and dings is to use very, very fine sandpaper and sand off the splinters and minor dings that occur...600-grit garnet paper works well. You'll find it at an auto parts store or at a home supply store near the paints and wood finishes.

I have a pair of drumsticks a buddy gave me more than 20 years ago that play almost as well as they did when they were new thanks to the sandpaper treatment every so often.

Believe it or not, I'm a rim-knocker myself...
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by backtodrum View Post
    The sticks I tape are my cool rods. I will tape the center of the stick and a little on the ends to tighten them up a bit.

I do exactly the same - with my Steve Smith signature Tala Wands! I use some nice red and green electrician's tape (it's nice and thin and it looks good too). I put a little close to the ends to tighten them up a little and some on the shaft to add some extra strength and to prevent them from breaking up when I get a little carried away. It has worked perfect for me so far. Haven't used the tape on wooden sticks, but it would probably be alright if done in the right place and not overdone.

As an aside here: I bought some metal handled brushes and they were terrible for leaving residue on my hands and cymbals. I put the same colourful plastic tape on them and, not only did it provide a nicer grip, but it solved the dirty hands and cymbals problem.

f.y.i.
    I bought my coloured plastic electrical tape at the big-box retail outlet Home Depot.
    Gary

User Info Menu

I don't tape but I put shrink fit on my HotRods in the center. They tend to break there from rim shots. No gooey gunk left behind either ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by rmandelbaum View Post
    I don't tape but I put shrink fit on my HotRods in the center. They tend to break there from rim shots. No gooey gunk left behind either ;-)
    Very neat trick , I like that one , mind if I borrow it ?

User Info Menu

Please do ;-)
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

I have to agree with Drummer as well. If the balance of the sticks is off, I feel it pretty quickly. And I can't even remember the last time I broke a stick.
    Why do psychics have to ask you your name? And how come you never heard of a psychic winning the lottery?
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

User Info Menu

I tend to wear sticks out, they get "rubbery" if that is a word. They start to feel mushy and I have to throw them out. I remember in my younger days breaking them. That pretty much went away withing the first year. I had a great teacher, grip, and the Moeller Method from the start.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

i just use the metal sticks that Ahead makes. they have rubber sleeves that actually are pretty easy to grip.
    that...or buy a pair of gloves.
    Ostinato is the way to go!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by kona View Post
    I do exactly the same - with my Steve Smith signature Tala Wands!
    Kona, how do you like those Tala Wands? I heard someone raving about those one day and I've been wanting to check them out. Can you tell me about them and/or how they compare to Hot Rods?

User Info Menu

The problem is the sticky blotches it leaves on the heads and cymbals
    HOLA como estas RMANDELBAUM*MI AMIGO CREATIVE ARTISTIC DRUMMER ARTIST(CAT) EXCELLENTE' FORSURE *AND HARD to CLEAN OFF
    DEAL with ***TAPE also CHANGES THE WEIGHT BALANCE * you all ready KNOW *WHAT EVER WORKS for the CREATIVE ARTISTIC OPEN MINDED ARTIST ALL great within their Own UNIQUE STYLE(ARTISTRY) THEIR JOURNEYS * GRACIAS

User Info Menu

what part are you tapeing and what for? Are you doing it for grip on the bass of the stick or the tip to prevent chipping?

Im gonna try the electrical tape right now :P
    Roland TD 30KV
    Gretsch Birch Catalina Wine red.
    Paiste PST5's
    Paiste Alpha Paiste Dark Energy
    Gibraltar Hardware Pearl 2002c Eliminator

Minute 36 - Facebook
    Tai Fighters

Larrysperf Guest

Quote Originally Posted by holycow77 View Post
    I go through my sticks pretty quickly. It's not so much that I have a terrible technique, it's mainly because I like to hit the hard parts of my kit. I like the sound of rimshots and I like to hit my cymbals on the edge every now and again.

I haven't really had the time or cash to invest in some new sticks over the last few weeks, so I just taped the crap out of some that where split, and they're almost as good as new - just slightly less responsive and a little heavier.

The thing is, a stick that's been broken and then covered in tape, tends to last me longer then a new stick. So I was wondering, does anybody tape their sticks before they break - so that they don't break? Or would it be a waste of time...
    I can send you some I have some I dont use or need

User Info Menu

I too think that is a good idea!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by drummer View Post
    Kona, how do you like those Tala Wands? I heard someone raving about those one day and I've been wanting to check them out. Can you tell me about them and/or how they compare to Hot Rods?
    They're a lighter touch than the Hot Rods - I have both. The Wands are great - I find they add a nice soft touch (you can be loud with them too).

They come in two sizes of dowelling - Bamboo and Birch. Both are good IMO.
    Gary

User Info Menu

Yeah I used to tape up all my sticks. Only problem I found with it is that if you tape where you hit the rim, the tape makes it sound different, less crack if you know what I mean. But I think one layer of thin tape like painters tape helps prolong the life of the sticks without messing with the sound or balance too much.
    "You have to love music more then food. More than air. More than yourself."-The Wizard (August Rush)

I think I can realistically say that I will never be too old to laugh at a fart. Ever. -dave0549jv

If we give up, we will never know what we might have been. - Pastor Bob

DC Record for most users online at once! Be there or be square! http://www.drumchat.com/showthread.p...ers-12079.html
    RIP Frank

User Info Menu

I can't stand the feel of my stix with tape on them. I tend to rim shot the heck out of my snare and the sticks start splitting in the middle but I can usually get 2-3 gigs out of a pair.

User Info Menu

When I was going through tons of sticks when I was younger I would buy cheapo noname bulk sticks for practice and have a couple of good pairs for shows.