Thread: Stupid audio equipment question

User Info Menu

Default Stupid audio equipment question

Hey i was just wondering. Currently i have laying around my music room lots of leads and my drum mics are pretty much on my drums all the time. Would be playing the drums when not recording damage either of these things (particulaly the mics.)

Additionally my mixer. Sometimes when playing back music through it, etc i get the most horrible noises through it (e.g turning the gain up too much, disconnecting with the gain still on.) Will this harm my mixer?

Thanks, im sure they are stupid questions but id rather know!

User Info Menu

Default Re: Stupid audio equipment question

I'd want to know too...if I were you. Someone will come along and have an answer for you.
    There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value.

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/j...vaz/TheSet.jpg

User Info Menu

1st question, no it wont harm a thing.
    2nd question, the horrible noise when playing back music through your board is probably feedback because your mics are on. Just lower the sliders on your mics when playing music.
    3rd question you should always lower your sliders before removing a mic or any other cable.

User Info Menu

What he said, the only thing I could thing of that would damage the mics is vibration may cause a bad connection to appear sooner then it would with the mics sitting in their cases.
    DW Collectors
    Vintage Superstars
    Roland TD-20
    Misc. Snares
    My Web Site

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Northern Redneck View Post
    1st question, no it wont harm a thing.
    2nd question, the horrible noise when playing back music through your board is probably feedback because your mics are on. Just lower the sliders on your mics when playing music.
    3rd question you should always lower your sliders before removing a mic or any other cable.
    That is what I was thinking!

User Info Menu

Even though my Ludwig Boham kit sits covered in our studio for rehearsals and I could just leave the mics sit, I don't.

I only use my Audix DP-7 set of 7 mics, plus 1 Audix Fusion F-14 I use for my 18" floor tom, when I'm recording or on stage. I keep the mics and the mixers in their road cases all snug and safe and dust free.

Dust can kill electrical equipment given enough time.
    Last edited by Destroyer; 10-07-2008 at 03:25 AM.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by Destroyer View Post
    Even though my Ludwig Boham kit sits covered in our studio for rehearsals and I could just leave the mics sit, I don't.

I only use my Audix DP-7 set of 7 mics, plus 1 Audix Fusion F-14 I use for my 18" floor tom, when I'm recording or on stage. I keep the mics and the mixers in their road cases all snug and safe and dust free.

Dust can kill electrical equipment given enough time.
    An excellent point Destroyer. I have mic'ed my drums so that I can play with headphones and control the volume to my ears. For that reason I leave the mics on the kit all the time. I will have to rethink this, and probably go with ear plugs instead. I had taken my cue from the mics being in constant ready at the church, but I will also make sure I don't leave my vocal mics out either.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!