Thread: Trying to start teaching

User Info Menu

Default Trying to start teaching

Hello all, haven't been on here in quite a while, hope all's well with everyone!

I am currently attempting to supplement my work as a barman with giving drum lessons. So far I've given a few lessons to a couple of friends and as a trial that seems to be going well so I am now going to attempt to advertise myself around town.

Was just wondering if any teachers on this forum have any hints or tips about setting up a solid group of regular students?

Have also set up a website, let me know what you think - http://www.liamhardydrums.co.uk

PS. The gallery section of the site needs work I know :-P
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

Cool Re: Trying to start teaching

Will take a look at the site, mate...

One thing to do also is work the network (if you haven't already), since if you get a good reputation with the pros in your neighborhood, it's going to help win over potential students...

Keep us posted on the progress!
    keep the beat goin' ... Don't keep it to yourself!

Charlie

"If a man does not keep pace with his companions, perhaps it is because he hears a different drummer. Let him step to the music which he hears, however measured or far away." --Henry David Thoreau, "Walden," 1854

"There's a lot to be said for Time Honored tradition and value." --In memory of Frank "fiacovaz" Iacovazzi

"Maybe your drums can be beat, but you can't."--Jack Keck

User Info Menu

Default Re: Trying to start teaching

website looks cool, not too sure about the really cheap lessons though!! may make a student wonder what he/she is cheaping out on!!

Im sure you know the fundamentals of drumming/teaching/reading, so all I will advise is to be approachable and listen to your students, and the most important one in my book is to be honest with them, if they dont put the time in and show you the respect , dont keep taking the money, let em loose and pick up students who really want to learn. If a guy aint progressing after 6 months then that rep will come back eventually and bite ya. good luck.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by ratmycue View Post
    website looks cool, not too sure about the really cheap lessons though!! may make a student wonder what he/she is cheaping out on!!
    That was my first thought too. I'm sure he's just trying to be honest but tell him he can still present himself as capable with beginners without being misleading.

Good luck... and tell him to join us in Drum Chat! There's room for him.

User Info Menu

Im with rat , I would suggest changing the words extremely cheap to competitive .

Good luck with it and let us know how it works out .

User Info Menu

I almost forgot.......... I would like to suggest adding Drum Chat as one of your links .

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by gonefishin View Post
    Im with rat , I would suggest changing the words extremely cheap to competitive .

Good luck with it and let us know how it works out .
    or inexpensive...
    that says quality for a good discount, a bit like walmart.
    without the quality that is......heheheheh
    just digging bbro.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Nice work! I might swing in for a lesson sometime! aha
    Today, on Ethel The Frog...

User Info Menu

or inexpensive...
    that says quality for a good discount, a bit like walmart.
    without the quality that is......heheheheh
    just digging bbro.
    what he said............extremely cheap kinda screams low on quality and thats not the message yom wants to advertise

User Info Menu

Yom, I think your desire, and your website looks good. I also think the others have hit on something important. The public can be funny. You desire to communicate good value would probably backfire, as the public most often perceives "cheap" as worthless. The psychology is that the public knows that the person charging for goods knows their worth, so if something is listed as "cheap," then they must not be worth much. In a tough economy, "competitive prices" is a much better way of communicating your prices. I would make sure that you pay attention to giving your experience maximum explanation. Make sure your potential clients know that you have the experience that they need.

I may not have drum teaching experience, but I did practice as a chiropractor for 17 years, and that meant owning, and promoting my own business.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

Quote Originally Posted by pastor_bob View Post
    I may not have drum teaching experience, but I did practice as a chiropractor for 17 years, and that meant owning, and promoting my own business.
    I think PB is trying to say, he could sell snow to an Eskimo.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

I think PB is trying to say, he could sell snow to an Eskimo.
    Nah, I knew the game, but I was never good at doing it. I was a very good chiropractor, but a so-so business man. The healthcare "business" always left a bad taste in my mouth. There's healthcare, and there's the business of healthcare; they are not the same.
    Quoting gonefishin: Just have some bacon with ya when you go pick her up..........youre an instant chick magnet.

For coupons and specials, join the Drum Bum mailing list.

Buy Gifts for Drummers. And don't miss the free Drum Lessons!

User Info Menu

When i got lessons from my teacher it was really cause my mum was friends with his wife. I think pretty much all his students are from work colleagues (and their kids), friends etc. Im sure if you spread the word around people you know you'l have no trouble picking up a loyal band of students who will tell their friends etc. Spread the word around! Your job as a barman is also pretty much the ideal job if you wanna spread the word as you must get to communicate with alot of different people.

User Info Menu

Thanks for all the replies!

The reason I'm putting my rates down low is because I don't have any actual official grades or certificates in drumming, I'm mostly self taught. I feel that at least for a while I can't really justify high rates.

Will certainly change 'cheap' to 'competitive' though that sounds like a good idea. And I will add Drumchat!

:-)
    "Then when we do... The Afro Cuban... I'm going to go... To my Coooowwwwbell!" - Bernard Purdie

User Info Menu

I'm not a drummer, but I am the parent of a drummer. My son is on his 3rd and 4th teacher (simultaniously) and I've been the one who chose all of his instructors. I'm pretty well versed in finding good music teachers.

I thought the website was great, except for the gallery wich sucks. In this economy, I think letting people know they will be getting a big bang for their buck...er...pound is a good idea. I also agree that changing the word cheap to something like affordable/competitve/reasonable would prabably be wise. Most lessons are paid for by parents, many of wich are not really into music all that much and who don't want to dip into the college or retirement funds. You might also want to list some big time musicians who you are currently studying under (hint, hint). Being a student of music tends you make you look more serious (IMO).

As to taking money from students who arent' worth teaching, I strongly disagree with the earlyer statement. In my experience, most music students stink on ice. There's not a lot of talent out there and there's even less dedication. If you sit around waiting for students who are gifted and who really apply themselves, you aren't going to be able to fill up your schedule. Do the best you can with what you've got and take their money. If you are really blessed, you'll get a future star as a student sooner or later, but you've got to kiss a lot of frogs on the way. If and when you get such a student, be ready to let him move from pupil to bandmate/jam buddy as he/she passes you up and goes up the food chain to a more capable teacher.

Oh, one more thing. I think one of the most important things in being a music teacher is the relationships you develope with your students. If your students and their parents really, really like and admire you, you'll stay busy. If you are a musical genious who's a pain in the neck, not so much.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 10-20-2008 at 09:16 AM.

User Info Menu

[QUOTE=Roaddebris;121302]

[As to taking money from students who arent' worth teaching, I strongly disagree with the earlyer statement. ]

Hey Road, I know this comment is directed towards my previous post so I will respond. respectfully.
    I said be honest with the student/parents and if he/they do you dont put in the time and show respect then let them go.

I have had gifted students who would not put in any time or effort and I have had students who could never chew gum and walk at the same time, but they try and try and try. I would take the latter anytime.
    If a kid does not want to listen and learn then it does not matter how much you want to teach them, no matter how much natural talent you can see. It is a very derpressing scenario. If you as a teacher keep taking the money and the kid shows no progress then that will eventually bite you, badly.
    Sometimes all a kid needs is time to mature and I have had kids go away and then come back to me when they are really ready.

Official cowbell hater.

User Info Menu

Hey rat, no problem at all. We just disagree. Personally, I think if someone decides to be a music teacher they're going to have to deal with mostly mediocre students, most of whome also lack dedication. If you're Steve Smith, Thomas Lang, or drummer you can probably attract a finer class of pupil. The avarage instructor, however, is going to have to take whoever comes his way if he wants to pay his rent and put gas in his car. I've seen the same kind of thing go down in Karate dojos, for example. Most kids are just there. You don't close the doors because most will never become Bruce Lee.

I've also seen music teachers and Karate senseis who couldn't teach their way out of a wet paper sack. The best advise I can give to both techers and students is don't be like most everybody else. Don't suck.
    Last edited by Roaddebris; 10-20-2008 at 02:42 PM.